Xbox One X

6 hours ago, George P said:

but then again you're going to run into more bugs/issues overall on the PC side period compared to a single static console device devs can target.

Well, "static" consoles is another debate entirely isn't it, especially if MS keeps chasing this "no more generations" dream. We have 3 very different performing consoles from both MS and Sony right now. We've gone from 2 SKUs to build and optimize for, to 6.

6 hours ago, George P said:

I'm quite aware of this, but you're missing my point, I only have 1 gaming PC, not 2 or 3 and I'm not one of those who tries to game on their mid-range laptop either.   Most PC gamers are like me, we drop a lot of money and build one main beat PC for gaming, not multiple ones.   So while cloud saves via steam or GoG is good for when I'm ready to move off of one PC to a new PC 5-6 years from now, that doesn't have anything to do with the times I just want to sit and play on my 55" 4k TV.  PC cloud saves are still just for the PC, one platform, so again, why limit myself just to the PC when I can buy a game once and play it on the PC AND a console sitting in front of my shinny new big screen TV?     And most gamers are not hooking up their PCs to TVs, sorry, it's just not happening, which is why things like steam box and steam link aren't talked about much at all.

Owning multiple consoles from one manufacturer is a niche. I'm pretty sure cloud save features are far more widely used for taking your save games to a 2nd location. i.e LAN parties or playing at a friends house. And what numbers do you have to prove gamers aren't hooking up their PCs to TVs? Steam Link is only one way of doing it & sale numbers are private. All it takes is an HDMI cable and using Big Picture mode to achieve. I never said "most" are doing it though, I just said that you can do all the things with a PC that VandalSquad listed. Comfy couch gaming is not console exclusive :laugh:

I think now we can officially say it's off topic at any rate heh.

To multiplatform gamers Play Anywhere is great, and I wish Sony offered anything like that or more publishers took advantage of it (but why when you can milk people for multiple copies right?  sigh)

Two months to awesomesauce.  I've literally never been this excited about stuff outside of PC gaming. :)

17 hours ago, dwLostCat said:

To multiplatform gamers Play Anywhere is great, and I wish Sony offered anything like that or more publishers took advantage of it (but why when you can milk people for multiple copies right?  sigh)

The  biggest issue I have isn't play anywhere plenty of games don't release on PC. More the your digital only games only work for this generation ######, I don't have hopes of Nintendo or Sony turning this practice around and await the new charges for Nintendo classics when they launch again :laugh:

5 hours ago, Vandalsquad said:

More the your digital only games only work for this generation ######, I don't have hopes of Nintendo or Sony turning this practice around and await the new charges for Nintendo classics when they launch again :laugh:

Not a problem on Xbox, at least not entirely.  They're doing backwards compatibility with the 360 and original Xbox, and any games on this gen should work fine on the Xbox Two/PS5 or whatever.  I'm assuming now that they've both gone x86 they'll keep it to save devs grief, so that should be easier than the 360 compatibility stuff.

Nintendo, well.  I haven't had a Nintendo console since the NES except for a bit of time with the DS so *shrug* but I hear ya.

On 9/1/2017 at 2:49 PM, dwLostCat said:

As far as I know, the device doesn't actually have a DP port, but I don't know yet.

It just occurred to me it doesn't need a dedicated port with USBs alt mode.  I forgot about that.

Still, will have to see it before I assume that's actually there.

I actually got my preorder in. I was out that whole weekend and forgot about the reveal. Just happened to check my feeds when I got back home and saw it was up for preorder and jumped on it. 

I've been finding myself playing more and more games on my X1 when compared to my PC lately, so I guess it makes sense. I got my PC back in 2013, so it doesn't shine as much as it used to back then. I've also been enjoying some games better on the X1, even though they perform better on my PC. Maybe I'm just getting old.

6 hours ago, NeoTrunks said:

I actually got my preorder in. I was out that whole weekend and forgot about the reveal. Just happened to check my feeds when I got back home and saw it was up for preorder and jumped on it. 

I've been finding myself playing more and more games on my X1 when compared to my PC lately, so I guess it makes sense. I got my PC back in 2013, so it doesn't shine as much as it used to back then. I've also been enjoying some games better on the X1, even though they perform better on my PC. Maybe I'm just getting old.

I was amazed how well Division looks and plays on it (and unlike PC in Survival mode it isn't constantly bitching about my connection, so they must use the XBL servers.)  But the shader effects are clearly lacking/nonexistant in some spots.

The X1X version should be awesome.

So far what I've learned for 1080P users (since I've heard some concern) is

RAMdrive for games that aren't X1X aware

Downsampling from full 4K on games that are

Smoother experience at the highest res (allowed by the devs) on games using dynamic resolution

Improved loading times off the internal HD

I'm not sure if there was anything else, but sounds like a great upgrade for 1080p users (even better if they're eventually looking to upgrade to 4K, but awesome either way.)

It's funny that this is such a complete turnaround from the original Xbox One launch where they didn't really say anything right...this time they're saying everything most people want to hear.

9 hours ago, NeoTrunks said:

I've also been enjoying some games better on the X1, even though they perform better on my PC. Maybe I'm just getting old.

This has been me for quite a few years now, I'm only in my late 20's but it's just a much more enjoyable experience than sitting at a desk with no real friends to play with. I'm even considering a Surface Studio or another hidden small NUC for my next upgrade with a decent screen over anything with a stand alone GPU.

1 hour ago, dwLostCat said:

So far what I've learned for 1080P users (since I've heard some concern) is

I'm not sure if there was anything else, but sounds like a great upgrade for 1080p users (even better if they're eventually looking to upgrade to 4K, but awesome either way.)

It's funny that this is such a complete turnaround from the original Xbox One launch where they didn't really say anything right...this time they're saying everything most people want to hear.

They're listening to their fans now, There is plenty of benefits for this for 1080p owners. The pro on the other hand has actually had games patch out down sampling and there's no reason to buy one as a 1080p owner as far as I can see.

20 minutes ago, Vandalsquad said:

They're listening to their fans now, There is plenty of benefits for this for 1080p owners. The pro on the other hand has actually had games patch out down sampling and there's no reason to buy one as a 1080p owner as far as I can see.

Yeah I have a Pro and I wouldn't let go of it but if I was a 1080p user, unless I played specific games I'd be disappointed.  It's not that much of an upgrade unless you've got a 4K HDR screen.

• 2 weeks later...

Orders also went live on Amazon U.S topped the best sellers list and sold out again. Hopefully making as much of these as you can, rang my manager mate at JB have him holding couple stock when they come in for other friends :laugh:

10 hours ago, MikeChipshop said:

I bit the bullet and got one with 2 mins of it going live on the Xbox store.

Nice, don’t think you’ll regret it 4K Red Dead should be worth the entry alone.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Got mine preordered at my local EB Games, were still taking Project Scorpio Edition's too :D

On 10/18/2017 at 8:25 AM, dwLostCat said:

It's a little weird they updated the interface to allow 4K content downloads but I haven't seen it actually start one yet.

Have you enabled the option in Settings? If nothing is downloading, then it's likely the updates aren't available from XBL yet.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2017 at 8:25 AM, dwLostCat said:

It's a little weird they updated the interface to allow 4K content downloads but I haven't seen it actually start one yet.

Same. I just assumed they haven't flipped the switch yet on the downloads.

Now we're nearing the date, what's everyone's first Xbox One X or Enhanced game they're going to load up? Assuming it's ready, it'll be FH3. A few midnight races in glorious HDR.

5 minutes ago, MikeChipshop said:

Now we're nearing the date, what's everyone's first Xbox One X or Enhanced game they're going to load up? Assuming it's ready, it'll be FH3. A few midnight races in glorious HDR.

Assassins Creed Origins for sure! I am highly anticipating that game.

• Like 1