Xbox One X

to anyone on the fence about Xbox One X.  If $500 price point is a bit much for you, DO NOT get it.  Use the money to take care of real life situations (i know i would).

For those who do have the $500 to burn and are still pondering:

The Xbox One X is a STEAL at $500.  Love or hate Microsoft PR or whatever, they did NOT LIE about the product, or try to pull a fast one on the consumer.

They over engineered a box, and gave it to the consumer at a very very fair price point.

The Xbox Team, decided to tap into a few different aspects of Microsoft's history and throw it in the box.  

Let me explain:

1.) Take games from legacy (OG Xbox, Xbox 360, and now Xbox One): and give them Bane juice.  What I mean is, there is more than a resolutions bump going on for the games.  Resolution improves, texture quality cleans up, frame rates stay stable (for most part so far), frame rates go up, load times improved drastically.

2.) When Phil Spencer kept emphasizing that your games are your games, this is what he means.  OG Xbox games, 360games, xbox one games, that arent patched all got modernized to some degree .  This almost makes "Remasters" seem like a rip off now.  The Enhanced games, well lets just say have a cloth next to you to clean up the drool.

3.) Audio: for those Audiophiles out there, The 1X has you covered too.  I dont have a Dolby Atmos supported setup. But I am eagerly waiting for the newer Xbox headsets to drop that support Dolby Atmos and true wireless.

4.) The Xbox One X does NOT sound like a fighter jet.  Meaning that it's as quiet as the XBox One S.  The Xbox One Phat is still the quietest of the bunch.

5.) Physical 4K Blurays for the WIN. Netflix & Amazon cannot show you the true 4K picture you deserve.  All my superhero and action movies are still purchased media.  

my tv happens to be a Samsung KS8500 w/HDR.  

1 hour ago, Showan said:

to anyone on the fence about Xbox One X.  If $500 price point is a bit much for you, DO NOT get it.  Use the money to take care of real life situations (i know i would).

For those who do have the $500 to burn and are still pondering:

The Xbox One X is a STEAL at $500.  Love or hate Microsoft PR or whatever, they did NOT LIE about the product, or try to pull a fast one on the consumer.

They over engineered a box, and gave it to the consumer at a very very fair price point.

The Xbox Team, decided to tap into a few different aspects of Microsoft's history and throw it in the box.  

Let me explain:

1.) Take games from legacy (OG Xbox, Xbox 360, and now Xbox One): and give them Bane juice.  What I mean is, there is more than a resolutions bump going on for the games.  Resolution improves, texture quality cleans up, frame rates stay stable (for most part so far), frame rates go up, load times improved drastically.

2.) When Phil Spencer kept emphasizing that your games are your games, this is what he means.  OG Xbox games, 360games, xbox one games, that arent patched all got modernized to some degree .  This almost makes "Remasters" seem like a rip off now.  The Enhanced games, well lets just say have a cloth next to you to clean up the drool.

3.) Audio: for those Audiophiles out there, The 1X has you covered too.  I dont have a Dolby Atmos supported setup. But I am eagerly waiting for the newer Xbox headsets to drop that support Dolby Atmos and true wireless.

4.) The Xbox One X does NOT sound like a fighter jet.  Meaning that it's as quiet as the XBox One S.  The Xbox One Phat is still the quietest of the bunch.

5.) Physical 4K Blurays for the WIN. Netflix & Amazon cannot show you the true 4K picture you deserve.  All my superhero and action movies are still purchased media.  

my tv happens to be a Samsung KS8500 w/HDR.  

I have the exact same TV and your points are spot on. I had money to burn so I don't care. For $500 you get the best gaming available plus 4K blue ray player which will set you back almost $500 anyways. If I didn't have the money, honestly my AppleTV and Shield TV were more than enough, especially since I have a 4K gaming PC.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skiver said:

I have to wait till the 28th to get my new X :(

Hey at least most of the X1X updates will be out then.  I'm still waiting on a few.  :)  Didn't expect they'd wait til Jan 15 for the Horizon 3 update though.  Will have to get that on my PC again.

On 11/7/2017 at 4:42 AM, Jub Fequois said:

That's interesting. Down here in England they're by far the best and only reliable logistics service. I hope you get it soon!

Yeah it's unfortunate. I've been looking forward to this a lot and sold my Xbox One a few weeks ago. :(

The Boys in Brown are solid here, too (rather amusingly, USPS has both excelled and clunked almost by turns); we haven't needed FedEx so far all year.  Typically, no Amazon order takes longer than two days (not even those that ship by USPS - the one USPS clunker clunked in the home stretch (Baltimore, MD to here) which is not typical even for USPS - the last order that took the same route not only did NOT "clunk", but shipped on a Saturday; the clunker was weekday-to-weekday (if it weren't for the clunk, there would not have been a weekend in between.)

15 hours ago, PGHammer said:

The Boys in Brown are solid here, too (rather amusingly, USPS has both excelled and clunked almost by turns); we haven't needed FedEx so far all year.  Typically, no Amazon order takes longer than two days (not even those that ship by USPS - the one USPS clunker clunked in the home stretch (Baltimore, MD to here) which is not typical even for USPS - the last order that took the same route not only did NOT "clunk", but shipped on a Saturday; the clunker was weekday-to-weekday (if it weren't for the clunk, there would not have been a weekend in between.)

The Boys in Brown. :D

I still find it strange that Amazon doesn't offer quicker delivery in the US considering both same-day and next day options are included in my Prime membership over here. The States are usually the first to offer the best, so to speak.

What does it mean to clunk?

11 minutes ago, Jub Fequois said:

I still find it strange that Amazon doesn't offer quicker delivery in the US considering both same-day and next day options are included in my Prime membership over here. The States are usually the first to offer the best, so to speak.

There's states in America bigger than the whole UK :p

At the most, there's about 14 hours of road travel between the furthest parts of mainland Britain. That's why. haha

46 minutes ago, MikeChipshop said:

At the most, there's about 14 hours of road travel between the furthest parts of mainland Britain. That's why. haha

I couldn't imagine living in europe I wouldn't know what to do with myself with such short distances to new countries, it takes 14 hours here just to drive from one state to the next :laugh: Luckily the mass of Australian population is centralised next to shipping depos so next day is the rule for the majority of us.

In X news, mine turned off last night and didn't finish downloading the 60gb Forza update, soon I will get some time with it. Servers seem to have been boosted and pulling at full speeds again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeChipshop said:

Yeah, I realise that, but I'd also imagine they have more distribution centres. I suppose there must be a lot of small, remote towns though.

27 minutes ago, Vandalsquad said:

In X news, mine turned off last night and didn't finish downloading the 60gb Forza update, soon I will get some time with it. Servers seem to have been boosted and pulling at full speeds again.

Aye, servers seem OK now. I got my X yesterday and downloaded the Assassin's Creed: Origins update in about a minute. Unfortunately I didn't have time left to try it. :p

Looking to make this one my first console buy.. Never had a need for one and found it a downgrade from my PC so I never had the desire to get one until now. 4K  and blueray sold me finally.

Did I read somewhere that they are/were working on Steam for the platform? Or was it just talk, don't remember.. It would be cool to be able to access the almost 700 games I have in that library..

Ok, so I decided to setup the X1X last night.  Solid machine and I like the matte finish much better than my Day One Edition console.  DOE is back in it's original box, for now.

I do feel like an idiot when trying to sync my Elite controller to the X1X.  I kept pushing the eject button on the front (yes, no more touch eject) thinking that was the sync button.  Took me a few before I had a "I am an idiot" moment and looked more to the front right of the console where the sync button was.   My Xbox Remote synced automatically which was nice.

Had to download a 750mb update right away, which is no big deal.  And the removal of touch eject/power is no big deal.  Was easy to bump the touch controls at times.  So the physical buttons are welcomed.

Edited by techbeck
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, JoseyWales said:

Did I read somewhere that they are/were working on Steam for the platform? Or was it just talk, don't remember.. It would be cool to be able to access the almost 700 games I have in that library..

Nothing official, and a lot of them probably wouldn't run well anyway.  It's a custom CPU in there so anything that would run well is using the official SDK.

(I'm not saying it can't happen, mind you.  But alongside console game certification it makes it extremely unlikely at best.)

11 hours ago, Jub Fequois said:

The Boys in Brown. :D

What does it mean to clunk?

The point is that I haven't NEEDED the quicker options (even with Prime).  Mom has Prime, and it's two days at WORST (unless there's a flock-up) - even via USPS (small items where Prime is free STILL use either USPS or UPS).  A "clunk" is where the shipment goes to the wrong address, gets misrouted, etc - the last "clunk" got hung on the USPS - the package wound up in western Virginia.  (NOT West Virginia - but close to the Virginia/West Virginia border, though; not THAT far from Berryville - and the Shenendoah Valley, apple and wine country.)

7 hours ago, techbeck said:

...the removal of touch eject/power is no big deal.  Was easy to bump the touch controls at times.  So the physical buttons are welcomed.

Yeah, my dog had a habit of turning my XB1 off at crucial moments with his nose. 

Been enjoyed my Scorpio Edition since Tuesday. So far impressed with it. All enhanced games look really awesome. I did have a bit of trouble trying to connect it through the wired network, as it kept unable to resolve the DNS, but at the end I was able to manually entering Google's DNS (WTF?) 

All has been smooth after that. Just connected my external hard drive from my Xbox One to the X, and got it running in no time. Wolfenstein II looks great, still need more work but looks much sharper and higher res (obviously). Halo 5, Gears 4 look amazing, especially Gears with HDR is a beautiful game and really an upgrade from the Xbox One on that same TV. But the game that truly amazed me was Rise of The Tomb Raider. It looks as if it was a gen ahead compared to how it used to. Longer Draw distances, beautiful texture, 4K....pfffff and then High Framerate 1080p looks amazing and so fluid, while still using the higher resolution graphics.......hard to make my mind as of which mode I prefer. And to think it is a 2015 game, if all developers put the work that went into Rise of the Tomb Raider, that is how games should take advantage of such a powerful machine.

I got the Battlefront 2 trial yesterday again. This one also looks gorgeus. HDR, 4K, mostly locked 60fps. One great looking game and makes the original Battlefront look ancient. Still unsure if I am going to buy the full version, but at least it is great eye candy.

I am quite happy with the Xbox One X, wasn't expecting to notice that much difference after reading some reviews, but I was gladly surprised! Looking forward to how developers can fully utilize the potential of this machine.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, techbeck said:

Ok, so I decided to setup the X1X last night.  Solid machine and I like the matte finish much better than my Day One Edition console.  DOE is back in it's original box, for now.

I do feel like an idiot when trying to sync my Elite controller to the X1X.  I kept pushing the eject button on the front (yes, no more touch eject) thinking that was the sync button.  Took me a few before I had a "I am an idiot" moment and looked more to the front right of the console where the sync button was.   My Xbox Remote synced automatically which was nice.

Had to download a 750mb update right away, which is no big deal.  And the removal of touch eject/power is no big deal.  Was easy to bump the touch controls at times.  So the physical buttons are welcomed.

Christ I did the exact same thing wouldn't sync with my elite and sitting there thinking I had a dud already :laugh: Got some solid Forza 7 time in now, man this game is just amazing in the wet and 4K at night also, really need to get some photos in. Don't know what all the hoohar about the crates was about? Haven't even noticed them and have unlocked the third cup just like Overwatches crates. Found the pokie machine FH3 rolling a much bigger gamble and addicting :laugh:

Tomb Raider assets are downloading as we speak, bit disappointed FH3 doesn't have it's patch yet but probably a good thing to give me more time with F7 and hopefully complete most of it.

1 hour ago, WildWayz said:

Scorpio is back in stock on MS Store

Interesting, must be cancelled or refunded orders that they keep putting back into circulation once they have a certain number there to be worth listing again maybe? Just grab one, take it as a sign :laugh:

4 hours ago, Vandalsquad said:

Christ I did the exact same thing wouldn't sync with my elite and sitting there thinking I had a dud already :laugh: Got some solid Forza 7 time in now, man this game is just amazing in the wet and 4K at night also, really need to get some photos in. Don't know what all the hoohar about the crates was about? Haven't even noticed them and have unlocked the third cup just like Overwatches crates. Found the pokie machine FH3 rolling a much bigger gamble and addicting :laugh:

Tomb Raider assets are downloading as we speak, bit disappointed FH3 doesn't have it's patch yet but probably a good thing to give me more time with F7 and hopefully complete most of it.

Don't have a 4k TV, yet.  Next purchase but may be a few for that.  For now, I am just enjoying the faster load times for games/apps and other things.  Been playing AC:O and really enjoying the game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, techbeck said:

Don't have a 4k TV, yet.  Next purchase but may be a few for that.  For now, I am just enjoying the faster load times for games/apps and other things.  Been playing AC:O and really enjoying the game.

The TV end (at least in North America) is Officially a Non-issue - at least if you have a big-box retailer nearby - and especially a Wal-Mart. SAMSUNG 40" 40MU6290 will be $328USD next week (Black Friday ad) - therefore, space (not price) will be the issue.

18 hours ago, techbeck said:

Been playing AC:O and really enjoying the game.

I've been burned out by AC after such an onslaught for awhile there of average games since black flag. This seems to be getting a lot of love but , will have to grab it after finish some of the other games I'm replaying now.

Knew it looked good, Native 4K and 60FPS for everything out side the big fight moments and skirmishes.

Wolf 2, Hitting Native 4K and 60FPS also. Dynamic scaling, nearly matching maxed out PC settings. Will have to wait to pick this up sadly just way to much at the moment.

I guess my only question is... if I have a One S is it worth the upgrade? I'm kind of mixed between several possible upgrades right now (phone, laptop, xbox). I haven't gamed much on my One but I plan on grabbing AC:O for it an I have a 4k hdr sony tv.