• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Russian anti-virus CEO offers up code for US govt scrutiny

Jim K    13,091

MOSCOW (AP) -- The chief executive of Russia's Kaspersky Lab says he's ready to have his company's source code examined by U.S. government officials to help dispel long-lingering suspicions about his company's ties to the Kremlin.

In an interview with The Associated Press at his Moscow headquarters, Eugene Kaspersky said Saturday that he's also ready to move part of his research work to the U.S. to help counter rumors that he said were first started more than two decades ago out of professional jealousy.

"If the United States needs, we can disclose the source code," he said, adding that he was ready to testify before U.S. lawmakers as well. "Anything I can do to prove that we don't behave maliciously I will do it."

Kaspersky, a mathematical engineer who attended a KGB-sponsored school and once worked for Russia's Ministry of Defense, has long been eyed suspiciously by his competitors, particularly as his anti-virus products became popular in the U.S. market. Some speculate that Kaspersky, an engaging speaker and a fixture of the conference circuit, kept his Soviet-era intelligence connections. Others say it's unlikely that his company could operate independently in Russia, where the economy is dominated by state-owned companies and the power of spy agencies has expanded dramatically under President Vladimir Putin.

/snip

Associated Press

This is in response to a Senate spending bill that would ban the Department of Defense  from doing business with Kaspersky.  See below....

Bill Would Bar Pentagon From Business With Russian Cyber Firm Kaspersky

A provision in a Senate spending bill that is likely to become law would bar the Defense Department from doing business with Kaspersky Lab, the Russian cyber-security company whose employees were interviewed at their homes this week by FBI agents.

The Congressional action comes amid mounting concerns about the Moscow-based company, which sells anti-virus software across the world to consumers, businesses and government agencies, including some elements of the U.S. government.

In recent months, U.S. intelligence officials have expressed concerns that the company is a security risk, without specifying the basis of those concerns.

Last month, Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., asked the chiefs of the NSA, Central Intelligence Agency, FBI and three other intelligence agencies during a hearing whether they would be comfortable using Kaspersky products. Each said no.

/snip

More at NBC News

• Like 1

+jnelsoninjax    11,800

So basically the US government is afraid to do business with Kaspsersky Labs because of the name is Russian? What's next stop all dealing with anybody who's name is related to an area that is bad? OK, so they don't say the real reason, but I have seen enough comments about Kaspsersky and ties to the former KGB, so I can make an educated guess that the idiots in Washington have see/heard the same rumors and believe them!

• Like 1

Jim K    13,091
1 hour ago, jnelsoninjax said:

So basically the US government is afraid to do business with Kaspsersky Labs because of the name is Russian? What's next stop all dealing with anybody who's name is related to an area that is bad? OK, so they don't say the real reason, but I have seen enough comments about Kaspsersky and ties to the former KGB, so I can make an educated guess that the idiots in Washington have see/heard the same rumors and believe them!

Per the NDAA (PDF file)...

"Prohibits the DOD from using software platforms developed by Kaspersky Lab due to reports that the Moscow-based company might be vulnerable to Russian government influence."

Though I am more curious about who would review the source code ... :) 

• Like 1

+jnelsoninjax    11,800
4 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Per the NDAA (PDF file)...

"Prohibits the DOD from using software platforms developed by Kaspersky Lab due to reports that the Moscow-based company might be vulnerable to Russian government influence."

Though I am more curious about who would review the source code ... :) 

Oh obliviously an impartial 3rd party not affiliated with the US government or Kaspserky Labs! :D

• Like 1

goretsky    1,035

Hello,

Conversely, should foreign governments audit US software developers' source code or ban them entirely because of concerns about them being influenced the American government?  It has been reported that Cisco, Fortinet and Juniper were all compromised by the NSA, and these are American companies, not foreign ones.  It's not a good situation at all on either side.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1

Hum    6,933

There's a NSA back door in all of them ... :shiftyninja:

• Like 1