Muslim leader calls for a worldwide boycott of Starbucks

Muslim leader calls for a worldwide boycott of Starbucks because the coffee chain's pro-gay stance is 'not in line' with Islamic law
* A prominent Muslim leader has called for Indonesians to boycott Starbucks
* Anwar Abbas said Starbucks' support of gay marriage was 'not in line' with Islam 
* Abbas is the leader of Muhammadiyah, a 30 million-strong group in Indonesia
* 'If Starbucks only does business, then fine. But don't bring ideology here'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4658116/Muslim-Anwar-Abbas-urge-Indonesians-boycott-Starbucks-LGBT.html

Looks at source, does a little digging.  Hardly worthy of "Muslim leader" title.

Also, doesn't call for a "worldwide" boycott as his comments are upon the region.

Oh well...

15 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

Looks at source, does a little digging.  Hardly worthy of "Muslim leader" title.

Also, doesn't call for a "worldwide" boycott as his comments are upon the region.

Oh well...

Thank you. I used to think OP was a cool guy, but these last few years, I've been reconsidering my opinion

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Slarlac249 said:

looks a dailymail link, terrible news source, terrible paper.

It is nicknamed The Daily Fail for good reason...

People/groups boycotts companies/services all the time for reasons one may not agree with.  The only reason this is story is because of the underlying religion...

I've boycotted Starbucks for years, not because of this story, but because it isn't that good and overpriced.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Jim K said:

People/groups boycotts companies/services all the time for reasons one may not agree with.  The only reason this is story is because of the underlying religion...

I've boycotted Starbucks for years, not because of this story, but because it isn't that good and overpriced.

I think they have issues in the UK also, due to not paying corporate taxes.

54 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Yeah. I've not intentionally boycotted them, I just don't go because I don't find it to be that impressive. There are plenty of nicer cafes to get better coffee cheaper.

19 hours ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

Oh well...

Well, it IS from the Daily Fail...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

Oh well...

very anti-muslim/pro-conspiracy theory. No surprise that he needs to resort to Daily Fail.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nick H. said:

Yeah. I've not intentionally boycotted them, I just don't go because I don't find it to be that impressive. There are plenty of nicer cafes to get better coffee cheaper.

Their coffee is okay - however, I have preferred to grind and brew my own (for years); I have no particular animus toward Starbucks as a brand.

Besides, let's be serious - given the choice between freshly-brewed and hour-old coffee (regardless of brand) which is better?  (Yes - that is just as true with Wawa or 7-Eleven coffee for that matter.)

I assume we can count on you to report when Christians want to boycott Starbucks again because they don't like their Christmas cups...

20 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Thank you. I used to think OP was a cool guy, but these last few years, I've been reconsidering my opinion

There was a time time when@J. X. Maxwelldidn't post fake news?

7 hours ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

Worth noting, Starbucks does not have a "pro Gay" stance, they have an "inclusive" stance.  

Correct, "pro-gay" just like "pro-abortion" is not really a thing nor is anyone going to take your guns away.

Edited by oldtimefighter
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

There was a time time when@J. X. Maxwelldidn't post fake news?

Think so.. There was a time when we used to just kick back (unless I'm thinking of someone else)

12 hours ago, Jim K said:

I don't 'boycott' Starbucks per say, but on my commute to work, I go past a Dunkin Doughnuts, whom, IMHO, has better iced coffee (which is what I drink), I do go by Starbucks, but I would have to go inside of Target, and pay almost twice as much for effectively the same thing, and I really do not like Starbucks Company for some of the things that they do, also my brother worked at one years ago, made it to an shift leader, but ended up quitting because he was going to college at the time and they were being less then accommodating to his schedule.