I went to K-Mart

I worked at a Kmart in my home town back in 2014, I was hired the day before they announced they were gonna close. It was really fascinating to see the place transform from a fully stocked, average-looking department store to a mostly empty shell of a building with our last remaining merchandise scattered across shelves near the front door. It was honestly a pretty fun time though; I thought the place was decent although I rarely visited it before I started working there. I don't really have much any sentimental attachment to the place or the company as a whole, but it does sadden me the teensiest, tiniest amount to see Sears Holdings falling apart as they are.

The place actually closed because the land was owned by the Green Bay Packers (it was down the street from Lambeau), and there was a clause in the contract saying that they could come and take back the land if they paid a huge lumpsum of cash. They did so, and now it's a ice rink/recreational park. At the same time, though, the Kmart in a town a little while away closed at the same time, leaving like one store in the whole area, and now the Sears there is closing down as well.

I now work at a Younker's, and that place is starting to go a bit downhill. Probably not as visibly obvious as OP's first post, but a number of similar things. Wouldn't be surprised if the place closed down within 10 years... which would sadden me because I actually really like my coworkers a lot.

K-mart here just closed back in November..... Our sears is currently closing at the end of this month.... all we will have left after this wide format department store wise is walmart JCP and Bon Ton... we used to have at one point

Ames

Hills

K-Mart

Sears

JCPenny

The Bon Ton

Hills was the best store, KMart sucked compared to if when you where a kid, Hills had way more toys and video games

K-Mart here has been closed for quite a while here already. Used to go there fairly regularly back in the day. Wife used to like the lay away there. One of the last places that had that until some of the other stores brought it back.

I don't believe Target is that hot of a store here.

This is what happens when Eddie Lampert takes over... the guy literately back in 2008 i think it was told all the stores do not spend any money on store upkeep, it's not worth it... so stores started basically falling apart not long after... then he started to basically run the stores into the ground on purpose using his own money of all things... basically the guy will end up profiting on sears / kmarts demise with their reality holdings in the end when all the stores are gone