Does my old Acer Ferrari 5000 support an SSD upgrade?

Spec: http://mobilespecs.net/laptop/Acer/Acer_Ferrari_5000-5513.html

I am upgrading the memory to 4GB today and then I will attempt to upgrade Windows 10 on it. Windows 7, clean/up to date runs fine but I got a lot of "out of memory" alerts when it did the Windows Update of 195 items :s yesterday, it eventually completed though.

Compared to some budget PCs you can buy I think the laptop can hold its own with Windows 10/4GB memory, but I've been reading online that I can save even more battery life and gain performance if I install an SSD here http://www.laptopsandspares.com/acer-ferrari-5000-240gb-ssd but here, a user ran into problems installing Windows because the partition couldn't be found.

I found a Sata 2 compatible drive here https://www.ssdcenter.nl/product/744747/category-208062/wd-blue-ssd-250-gb-2-5-7mm-2-5-inch.html

I'd prefer to spend €160 (total: SSD + Memory) getting it up to spec for the very few times I use it, rather than shell out hundreds on a new laptop/tablet (I was thinking of an HP Spectre x360) :p but that's off the table now if it's possible to beef up my current one a bit.

Help appreciated! (Y) 

From what I've read on the links you've provided, I'm thinking no. But.....

I'm in no way an expert on this, but in response to the ssd part of your question, I'd recommend it regardless, my old dual core athlon rig wasn't able to make full advantage of the ssd I threw into it, but it booted up in almost half the time it used to compared to a 7200rpm (I think) Hitachi c: drive it used to boot up on, and programs installed on the c: drive launched quicker as well.

Yeah the current one is a 160gb 5200rpm drive, erm lol. I hope I can just image the thing (USB) and clone over lol

Just now, Steven P. said:

Yeah the current one is a 160gb 5200rpm drive, erm lol. I hope I can just image the thing (USB) and clone over lol

I think that shouldn't be too difficult, (you'll need to ask someone more advanced than me for the walkthrough) (Y)

From that same website, I'd recommend spending a few euros more and getting: https://www.ssdcenter.nl/product/542827/category-208071/samsung-850-evo-250-gb-2-5-inch.html. It may only have a little more performance over the WD you linked, but Samsung have an extremely good reputation in the SSD market.

As for working in your laptop, it should without problems. Despite only being SATAII, you'll notice a world of difference in boot times and responsiveness.

I'm not sure if cloning is the best way to migrate from HDD to SSD. Sure, the OS will work, but I'm remembering stuff about TRIM and other settings that Windows detects during installation. I can't remember too much though, so someone with more knowledge would be worth chatting to!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Daedroth said:

From that same website, I'd recommend spending a few euros more and getting: https://www.ssdcenter.nl/product/542827/category-208071/samsung-850-evo-250-gb-2-5-inch.html. It may only have a little more performance over the WD you linked, but Samsung have an extremely good reputation in the SSD market.

As for working in your laptop, it should without problems. Despite only being SATAII, you'll notice a world of difference in boot times and responsiveness.

Well it says it's a SATA III connector, is that different than a SATA II one?

I believe WD or any other SSD will work fine, all new generation are backward compatible SATA3/SATA2/SATA1 are same connector (in physical size and shape) just bandwidth difference.

• Like 2

A SSD will work in that laptop no problem, you will see better boot time and the system should run better with it than a standard hardidsk, Increasing the ram will also help it work better. I would reinstall from scratch as it will work better than trying to clone the drive across.

Cheers guys.. so I will be better off cloning Windows 7 to a  new SSD and then upgrading to Win10 I think.

Clean installing and updating takes all day man, not a fan of that lol. Unless there's a rollup Win7 Ultimate available somewhere? I have the SP1 DVD.

11 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Well it says it's a SATA III connector, is that different than a SATA II one?

If your laptop is SATA III, then you'll see more benefits. It will physically fit as the adapter is the same. If you fit a SATA III drive into a SATA II port, it will fit, but the drive will be throttled to the speed limitations of SATA II. Adversely, connecting a SATA II drive into a SATA III port means that the SATA III port will be throttled to the speeds of the SATA II drive.

If it were me, I would reimage as I don't like upgrading compared to clean installs, but it's entirely your decision!

7 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Cheers guys.. so I will be better off cloning Windows 7 to a  new SSD and then upgrading to Win10 I think.

Clean installing and updating takes all day man, not a fan of that lol. Unless there's a rollup Win7 Ultimate available somewhere? I have the SP1 DVD.

Yeah, should work, just remember to enable TRIM afterwards.

http://mywindowshub.com/check-enable-disable-ssd-trim-support-windows-7-windows-8-1/

Also, W7 Rollup

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/3185278/september-2016-update-rollup-for-windows-7-sp1-and-windows-server-2008

6 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Why not just install windows 10 direct as you can use your windows 7 key?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/activation-faq-for-insider-preview-build-10565/68e759a2-abcc-4b16-8758-92a720a6efe9?auth=1

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

you could mate, although you could also just fit the SSD and do a clean install W10 pro using windows media toolkit and use the COA key on the W7 ultimate you have the media for.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

it still accepts W7/8/8.1 keys on install, then any other clean wipes in future, you can simply choose, i do not have a windows key and it will activate just fine when you get online. 

5 minutes ago, TheReaperMan said:

Why not just install windows 10 direct as you can use your windows 7 key from what I remember?

I tried that, but I got a load of errors with my devices in device manager, a load of them couldn't start due to "not enough resources" I clean installed Windows 7 Ultimate and aside from having to install Mass Storage Controller and the Camera, all of the hardware devices installed OK.

So I am not sure a clean Win10 install will do the trick? Upgrading from Clean 7 should retain the installed devices/resources I am hoping? :s

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steven P. said:

I tried that, but I got a load of errors with my devices in device manager, a load of them couldn't start due to "not enough resources" I clean installed Windows 7 Ultimate and aside from having to install Mass Storage Controller and the Camera, all of the hardware devices installed OK.

So I am not sure a clean Win10 install will do the trick? Upgrading from Clean 7 should retain the install devices/resources I am hoping? :s

use soemthing like speccy to list your devices, you can then search for W10 versions of the drivers, failing that grab the W7/8.1 drivers, they will work.

or with the current install you have run the media toolkit to upgrade "this pc" for a quicker inplace upgrade. Once completed, tell windows 10 to do a full wipe and its as good as a clean install of 10.

Just now, Mando said:

use soemthing like speccy to list your devices, you can then search for W10 versions of the drivers, failing that grab the W7 drivers, they will work.

Trying to install some drivers caused a  BSOD, but I haven't had that once with Windows 7 despite the 195 updates/driver updates and everything.\

Clean install of 10 and the supported 7/8.1/10 drivers  (BSOD or a notice saying I already had the best driver) did not help the issues.

Just now, Steven P. said:

So I am not sure a clean Win10 install will do the trick? Upgrading from Clean 7 should retain the install devices/resources I am hoping? :s

I feel confident in saying yes.

My windows 8.1 laptop was upgraded to 10, and my added software (Photoshop) was still there, in working order.

But like I mentioned, that was from 8.1 to 10, I am not aware at this moment of an issue that would cause a discrepancy upgrading from 7

Yeah there's no 3rd party software on it apart from Chrome, since I clean installed 7 yesterday. Not worried about the software, I am hoping that since all of my devices are now OK, that the 10 upgrade will keep them all OK.

The 7 install has the latest available drivers for all the devices I could upgrade.

ive upgraded plenty of vista era laptops to 10.

Tell you what Stephen, if you like, get your laptop up to a W7 level and if you like we can sort out a remote support session, happy to investigate remotely via teamviewer or such like to invoke an inplace w10 upgrade for you buddy.

Well I know for a fact clean installing 10 wouldn't install a lot of the devices properly, since I tried this on Monday, 7 went great.. so I will first try to upgrade with the extra 2GB in it. If all that goes well I'll clean install onto the SSD (need to order it first).

4 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Yeah there's no 3rd party software on it apart from Chrome, since I clean installed 7 yesterday. Not worried about the software, I am hoping that since all of my devices are now OK, that the 10 upgrade will keep them all OK.

The 7 install has the latest available drivers for all the devices I could upgrade.

ok do the following then buddy. If it all goes well, you know there are win 10 drivers for all your kit, its just a case of finding probably the wireless nic driver so you can get it online for windows update to do the rest for you.

• pick 2nd option, create installation media (download tool now)
  • once the mediacreationtool.exe is downloaded, run it.
  • Accept the licence terms.
  • then choose Upgrade this PC now (it will do it inplace)
  • or create installation media (4Gb+ usb stick is quickest)
  • Click next
  • follow the prompts.
  • job done.

BTW spent the rest of the day trying to troubleshoot the devices in 10 but to no avail!

Just now, Mando said:

ok do the following then buddy.

pick 2nd option, create installation media (download tool now)

once the mediacreationtool.exe is downloaded, run it.

Accept the licence terms.

then choose Upgrade this PC now (it will do it inplace)

or create installation media (4Gb+ usb stick is quickest)

Click next

follow the prompts.

job done.

Yeah I have that already on a USB key :)

3 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

BTW spent the rest of the day trying to troubleshoot the devices in 10 but to no avail!

Yeah I have that already on a USB key :)

do an inplace upgrade mate, a good test to see, if it works fine, you know migrating it over to an SSD using Acronis or the like will work out just fine.

IIRC windows 10 x64 complains if you have less than 4Gb, x86 doesnt. if your adding another 2gb x64 would make sense (if there are drivers ofc)

W10 doesnt really need Trim checked, it will detect its on an SSD and do it automatically, but no harm in double checking post migration.