Monitor keeps turning on and off when on HDMI cable

Hi, I have this problem, I would like to get help with.

When i plug my pc to led monitor using hdmi cable, and start to watch netflix or dvd disc movies, monitor keeps turning on and off randomly. The movie is going right as i hear the sound. But display keeps turning once, pause a few seconds, then turns off and on in a row, then it stops and goes again.

But, when i play a game, it goes well without a hitch, not a single turn in black. When I switch cable, it's the same thing. I tried changing res or refresh rate - same. Tried switching hdmi cables - same. Games works well, movies randomly turns monitor on and off.

And when I use my old DVI-I cable it works like a charm both ways.

Can Somebody tell me what is going on? Is my HDMI port failing? But what about games running like there's no problem.

My PC SETUP:

Mon - Samsung S27D390 1920x1080 60Hz

ASRock 770 Extreme 3

AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE

Palit GeForce 650 Ti Boost 2GB (384.76 drv)

8GB RAM 667MHz

Thanks in Advance, Chris.

Check to see if a 'game' mode is set incorrectly on both the monitor and nvidia cpanel, try rolling back to an earlier driver?

I have an issue I have to live with playing StarCraft, it'll minimise for no reason, and only StarCraft does it. (Before the game updated, it was fine)

I'm also thinking it's a signal issue, but am unsure what kind.

Everything is fine in games.  Assuming desktop applications as well?  So ... just watching movies you have this issue?  What programs are being used for said movies (for example the Netflix Windows App, Edge, PowerDVD, VLC, etc)?  Can you watch the movies in a smaller window (not maximized) without issue (not a solution...just narrowing it down).  Does your monitor give indication that it is searching for a signal (like switching between HDMI and VGA) or do you get a "Check Signal Cable" message?  

Looking at the product manual, I do not see a DVI connection (just HDMI and VGA ports) ... how are you running the DVI?  DVI to HDMI?

Desktop applications works fine. 

I'm watching netflix on chrome newest stable version, but ie 11 also have his weird kind of problem, just a little less. I also tried Windows media player for dvd movies and potplayer. Same problem. 

I tried to watch on smaller window,but that doesn't helped either. 

As for monitor, it doesn't show a thing. I mean it's sth like changing resolution on and on, and there's sometimes some green screen artifact between.

It's very very often on netflix, with dvd movies it's less often. 

Oh, and when i run geforce experience or nvidia control panel, it's sometimes 3 times turn in black for a second, but then it's working fine.

Games run great without a problem.  

Could it be just a bad HDMI cable? Or perhaps incorrect? Different versions?

Hi, thx for reply. 

If both of my hdmi cables are bad, so then I would have a really bad luck. 

Just bought new hdmi cable, so I can try if it works. 

1 minute ago, vIE888 said:

Hi, thx for reply. 

If both of my hdmi cables are bad, so then I would have a really bad luck. 

Just bought new hdmi cable, so I can try if it works. 

Anything is possible... ;)

Well.....it doesn't change a thing.

Still same, even more often. Just as the win7 login window shows, it goes insane, and blinks like crazy, could it be cheap cable fault?

The earlier two are more expensive.

Try to replace video card and see if it improves.

But before that, try to borrow someone's monitor and see if it is not flickering or whatever you were having.

If it is showing issues, then it could be the video card.

If it is not showing issues, then it's your monitor. Time to get a new one.

I have had monitor problem years ago..   Not seeing a thing on the monitor.  I got a replacement monitor.

7 minutes ago, TAZMINATOR said:

Try to replace video card and see if it improves.

But before that, try to borrow someone's monitor and see if it is not flickering or whatever you were having.

If it is showing issues, then it could be the video card.

If it is not showing issues, then it's your monitor. Time to get a new one.

I have had monitor problem years ago..   Not seeing a thing on the monitor.  I got a replacement monitor.

That or use onboard video if you can.

• 3 years later...

Im having the same problem with my led monitor using hdmi cable, changed both my cable but all same monitor keeps getting off and on and theres a green line appears and dissapears. Thats why i was looking in the google to look for ppls who having the same problem. Help me guys!

1 hour ago, Abhijit roy said:

Im having the same problem with my led monitor using hdmi cable, changed both my cable but all same monitor keeps getting off and on and theres a green line appears and dissapears. Thats why i was looking in the google to look for ppls who having the same problem. Help me guys!

Did you try everything we said?

• Brandon H changed the title to Monitor keeps turning on and off when on HDMI cable