Game gifting is coming to Xbox One soon?

Recommended Posts

George P    3,461

It sounds like this is coming, maybe when the Xbox One X hits the market later this year?

 

Source

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dipsylalapo    875

I wonder if this will be for new games only?

 

Could open the market for a second hand digital market.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Skiver    1,777
29 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

I wonder if this will be for new games only?

 

Could open the market for a second hand digital market.....

Wouldn't that open person up to some dodgy dealings, someone selling a game they don't plan to send or not spending money on receipt of the game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
George P    3,461
30 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

I wonder if this will be for new games only?

 

Could open the market for a second hand digital market.....

It probably works by you buying a new game as a gift for someone else.  I doubt they'd let you gift a game you already own but if they did, they could limit it to happening only once with the game.  So, gamer 1 gifts old game to gamer 2, gamer 2 can't gift it to anyone else after that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dipsylalapo    875
3 minutes ago, Skiver said:

Wouldn't that open person up to some dodgy dealings, someone selling a game they don't plan to send or not spending money on receipt of the game?

You're right, it would probably need to be properly policed. 

 

As @George Psaid it's more likely the sending of codes etc

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Skiver    1,777
1 minute ago, dipsylalapo said:

You're right, it would probably need to be properly policed. 

 

As @George Psaid it's more likely the sending of codes etc

To be honest, I'd assumed the same as you but just a simple gifting a game (no money exchanged from an Xbox perspective at least) but now I re-read it does actually talk about new purchases aka buying a game for someone. Whilst I'm sure it will be useful for some, with Gift cards already available I don't see this as a big deal tbh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dipsylalapo    875
8 minutes ago, Skiver said:

To be honest, I'd assumed the same as you but just a simple gifting a game (no money exchanged from an Xbox perspective at least) but now I re-read it does actually talk about new purchases aka buying a game for someone. Whilst I'm sure it will be useful for some, with Gift cards already available I don't see this as a big deal tbh.

I guess it's like buying a gift card from Game vs buying an actual game. Probably a little more personal :p

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
George P    3,461

You're cutting the retailer/card seller, out of the middle this way.  And it works for parents to gift their kids stuff without having to get a card, and use a code.    I figure you start it off as you would a normal game purchase via the website or through the console/Xbox app.  Then as you're getting ready to check out you can pick that this is a gift and it'd ask you for a gamertag and email address.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.