Adding SCART to my TV?

Well I'm about to replace the video board on my old plasma (sound is going out).  I noticed that there are SCART pins on my board :o I wonder if they are functional!  I was gonna grab some SCART mounts from ebay for a few bucks and solder them onto the dying board and see what goes... no real loss if they don't work. If they DO work, then I can put them on my new board  :) Take a look at the image:

http://imgur.com/a/F6yhr

I'm wondering about 2 things here.  The mounts on ebay have a spot for screws on the sides, my board doesn't have holes for these. Are they necessary at all?  Next, I see what look like grounds (look at the red arrows in the red circle).  I don't see where these would hook into on the mounts being sold. Are they actually grounds? Am I looking to buy the wrong kind of port/mount?  If so, where might I find the correct ones.

As for signal detection, it's a chance I'm willing to take for just a few dollars.  It may not be programmed in, or... secretly is? Normally if I hit "source" and there are no sources plugged in, it does nothing and stays on channel 3.  If I hook anything in and press source, then it takes me there.  If I plug a SCART in, perhaps there's a slim chance it'll take me there :)  

If it did work it would just connect to the red/white/yellow RCA connectors under it, save yourself some trouble and buy a Scart to RCA audio/video cable. :p 

Good question. 

Not sure if it is answerable without knowing make/model of the Plasma.  You could probably find the parts and service manual online for the TV...to see exactly how they have the SCARTs installed (I assume the "higher" model version has them).  With regards to the connector in the image .. you could always dremel off the screw holes.  Question is would the pins be sturdy enough to keep from breaking when you plugged in the cable (that is where the service manual comes into play ... to see how they are secured).  No idea what input it would be  ... /shrug  Could be a service menu option that you could enable or it just replaces the input for the corresponding composite. 

Does beg the question ... if you get the SCART soldered in ... how would you get to it (does the TV have a cut out for it?)

Dunno ... I would google the make/model for the service manual (not owner's manual)...maybe ManualsLib has it?

Probably not worth the trouble ... unless you're just having fun tinkering around to see if you can get it to work.

It'll most likely share the AV channel, On a very old TV I used to be able to connect my PC capture card to the front RCA ports and it would act as a passthrough for my Cable/VCR/Console connected to scart regardless of what I was watching on the TV. :p

15 minutes ago, Louisifer said:

It'll most likely share the AV channel, On a very old TV I used to be able to connect my PC capture card to the front RCA ports and it would act as a passthrough for my Cable/VCR/Console connected to scart regardless of what I was watching on the TV. :p

Which you should be able to tell by the tracers on the mainboard...right?  I'm not too familiar with SCART (they just look old...haha) ... we don't have them on this side of the pond.

7 minutes ago, Jim K said:

(they just look old...haha)

Well it is 40 this year! :p pretty much your analogue HDMI, could even do data and 1080p if you owned the rare equipment that could send/receive it.

Oh that's cool!  Maybe I could test the RGB from the SEGA (native rgb port) and into the components that are under it?  I have some resistors just for the occasion, someone mentioned that when doing RGB you need them.. if nothing pops on screen, then I guess it's a no-go?