Adding Graphics Card to Dell Optiplex

Hi,  I recently bought a dell optiplex 390 that has a i5 2400,4gb ram and 250gb hard drive. 

I want to add a graphics card to my pc (1050ti)  but I've notice that the i5 2400 supports pcie 2.0 while the 1050ti has pcie 3.0 ....So I want to know if it will work? 

Thanks 

Edited by Jason S.
changed thread title for accuracy

In one word, and assuming your PSU has the juice to power it.

Yes

More technical answer, I'm not as qualified as some to answer that question, as there could be bottleneck issues, amongst others. 

• Like 2

Yes, it will work, but on lower bandwidth of PCI 2.0 standards, make sure you have least 300 Watts PSU.

PCI-E 3.0 is back compatible with 2.0.

Your PSU might be a little too small to power your GFX card.

Is your PC a small factor case?

On 7/8/2017 at 9:18 AM, Mindovermaster said:

PCI-E 3.0 is back compatible with 2.0.

Your PSU might be a little too small to power your GFX card.

Is your PC a small factor case?

No,  its the mini-tower,  it has a standard atx stock psu that can be changed

On 7/8/2017 at 7:47 AM, ShadeOfBlue said:

PCIe 2.0 still has bandwidth to spare, and that card will run comfortably on even a 300W power supply.

The 390 comes with a stock psu of 265w, should I get another psu or its enough? I've seen people run it with the stock psu on YouTube 

You see ppl with stock PSUs?  I'd doubt that. get a good PSU. I'm sure Overlord on here can give you a big talk about that... I'd at least get a 550Watt. You are really cutting it short with that 250Watt...

Edit: To be honest, though, I'd save up your money for a new build....

Edited by Mindovermaster

Yes, PCIe 3.0 graphics cards will work in PCIe 2.0 slots. I have a GTX 1070 running in the PCIe 2.0 slot on my motherboard (because it doesn't have PCIe 3.0). It works perfectly fine.

Single graphics cards, even a TITAN X cannot max out the bandwidth on a PCIe 2.0 slot. If you're going to use SLI/Crossfire...then you'll need PCIe 3.0.

12 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

You see ppl with stock PSUs?  I'd doubt that. get a good PSU. I'm sure Overlord on here can give you a big talk about that... I'd at least get a 550Watt. You are really cutting it short with that 250Watt...

Edit: To be honest, though, I'd save up your money for a new build....

Yup, people even use 750ti with the stock psu(it needs 75W and recommends 300W PSU) just like the 1050.

The thing is buying an optiplex and adding a gpu costs less than 400$.I previously had the idea of building something with the Pentium g4560  but that would cost over 600$ dollars. 

20 minutes ago, MVC said:

Yup, people even use 750ti with the stock psu(it needs 75W and recommends 300W PSU) just like the 1050.

The thing is buying an optiplex and adding a gpu costs less than 400$.I previously had the idea of building something with the Pentium g4560  but that would cost over 600$ dollars. 

I highly doubt they have 265W PSUs. If they had like 500W, I'd believe you.

5 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I highly doubt they have 265W PSUs. If they had like 500W, I'd believe you.

750 Ti would run on a 265W PSU... depends on the quality of the PSU to determine if it is stable or not..

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, xendrome said:

750 Ti would run on a 265W PSU... depends on the quality of the PSU to determine if it is stable or not..

What I meant. Guess I left that out. I doubt his stock PSU is enough juice to support that.

14 hours ago, MVC said:

The 390 comes with a stock psu of 265w, should I get another psu or its enough? I've seen people run it with the stock psu on YouTube 

Never ever ever use a generic brand PSU.  I realize OEMs come with them, but if you are putting something in the computer didnt come with - you are messing with the PSUs comfort level.

A generic 265W PSU is not going to work well with a 1050, period.

A decent 350W will be ok. (antec) $32.00 on amazon

But I would do this for $5.00 more.  And you wont have to worry about it being "OK"

EDIT:

Not sure if that 1st option for 350W antec has PCI-Express connections...and I dont know if a 1050 has the need for external PSU connections. 

• Like 4

I wasn't going to comment at first .. because I thought it was a 300w PSU.  But a 265w ... oooof.... that is pushing it.  95w TDP processor and up to ~75w on the 1050ti.... by the hair of your chinny-chin-chin

...or by the color of your BSODs  (or they still blue? Haven't seen one a loooong time).  Anyway, I foresee issues with this setup (stability).

1 minute ago, T3X4S said:

Never ever ever use a generic brand PSU.  I realize OEMs come with them, but if you are putting something in the computer didnt come with - you are messing with the PSUs comfort level.

A generic 265W PSU is not going to work well with a 1050, period.

A decent 350W will be fine. (antec) $32.00 on amazon

^ what he said

(Or an equivalent Silverstone)

I doubt your PSU has the correct power cords for your GFX card... He never shows, but I'm sure his PSU isn't a stock one from DELL...

7 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I doubt your PSU has the correct power cords for your GFX card... He never shows, but I'm sure his PSU isn't a stock one from DELL...

Most 1050ti's get their power just from the mobo without needing the extra 6-pin.  

I'm sure there are a few exceptions like a 1050ti Fatal1ty Platinum Extreme OC Limited OG Deluxe Edition. :) 

54 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

he says it at 4:40 and he has many videos with that pc and the 1050ti 

6 hours ago, xendrome said:

If the case is truly stock, then any decent third-party PSU (such as EVGA, Corsair, etc.) should be a direct swap - even a modular one (such as Corsair's CX series).  Also, depending on the GPU, not all GTX 1050Ti's require a six-pin power feed - even of the 4GB persuasion; over half rely entirely on the motherboard for power - that applies to both the EVGA GTX 1050Ti SC and MSI GTX 1050 Ti OC - despite both being factory-overclocked.  (I had originally looked at the EVGA - but Amazon.com - my preferred seller - ran OOS of that model; however, they have the MSI version in stock, and for less than the EVGA model's list price - despite it being the dual-fan model, it has the same power requirements as the EVGA single-fan model.  The MSI GT OC is the same size as the EVGA SSC.)

1 hour ago, Shiranui said:

Out of interest, how much did you pay for the Dell Optiplex 390?

160-170 $ CAD that's actually the cheapest I've found locally 

If I am building a budget system for someone, one of the 1st things I will tell that person, "we cant go cheap on the PSU"
I realize many crappy PSUs have lasted years.  However, I dont want to take a chance.  I would expect anyone else to take on either.

For the tiny amount of money a sufficient PSU will cost in this situation, the real question is:  Why would you take that chance?

• Like 4

6 hours ago, T3X4S said:

If I am building a budget system for someone, one of the 1st things I will tell that person, "we cant go cheap on the PSU"
I realize many crappy PSUs have lasted years.  However, I dont want to take a chance.  I would expect anyone else to take on either.

For the tiny amount of money a sufficient PSU will cost in this situation, the real question is:  Why would you take that chance?

^ again, what he said

I've cheaped out on psu's only to have them die on my old dual core rig (650watts) and after foolishly, I kept replacing it with the similar cheap model, only to have that die as well.

My newest rig, which is now approaching 3 years old, has never been opened for maintenance reasons, (only for cleaning out the dust)