• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

May want to look through your Privacy Guard list. (Find out what's running on boot and in the background)

+warwagon    13,100

This morning, while on the couch I thought I would try to fix my atrocious battery life issue on Linage OS. I can survive an entire day, but I've been up since 7:30 (it's now 10:30) and have used my phone maybe a total of 5 mins and my battery life was down to 80% (started at 100%).  So I started going through the list of applications under "Privacy Guard". I was surprised how many were set to stay running in the background and a lot of them were set to start on boot.

As an example, Walmart.... I don't need Wal-Mart running in the background and I sure as hell don't need it starting with my phone. Will it take longer to open up, yes... but only about 2 seocnds. Same for flickr. All I do is upload an image from time to time.

So everyone may just want to go through their list and maybe clean things up a little. You should be aware that if you want an application to send you a push notification it should be allowed to start with the phone and be able to run in the background. In the case of Walmart, gone are the stupid deal notifications. (Which i may have been able to disable from inside the app, I just never checked)

Hopefully, this gives some of you better battery life.

*Update*

After posting this i'm thinking this might be a CM / Linage OS feature. So most people may not have it. That being said if anyone does have this available, check the list :)

Anyone running Android 6.0 or later may be able to modify the permissions under the application list in settings.

• Like 1

+warwagon    13,100

Update... I'm now at 80% after 5 hours .. so a 1.6% per hour drop instead of 10% per hour ... yay!

• Like 1

The Evil Overlord    18,441

Man, trying to read that headline gave me a headache :p

• Like 1

Circaflex    3,555

Generally, if your phone is losing battery when the screen is off, it is because the phone is not entering sleep/deep sleep correctly. It could be an app, but in most cases it is the kernel not properly setting the CPU to sleep. For novice users, be careful with privacy guard, dont go all willy-nilly and disable everything. Instead, use a battery monitoring app, like betterbatterystats, to see what the real culprit is rather than guessing.

• Like 1