How do you check 'digital entitlement' in Windows 10?

Bought a used laptop (Thinkpad), it came with Win 10 Pro. Seller says it has activation tied to the model so I can reinstall Windows 10 and activate without needing a key. How do I confirm this?

I'm on a mac, so I can't confirm, but I believe if you go to settings -> about and look in the area that says activated, it will tell you if it's via a key or "digital entitlement". You'll want to be careful as they can end up tied to an MS account, and used on another computer  - I don't know what the requirements are, but I was given the choice to activate my personal PC via the key of a work machine I had logged into with the same MS account. Hopefully someone else can explain that better.

3 minutes ago, Jim K said:

What does it say under Settings > Update/Security > Activation ?

edition: Windos 10 pro

activation: Windows is activated with a digital license

so I guess that confirms it? If so another qn - right now it has a test account I think the seller setup. I can add my MS account but I want to remove the current account as well, is that possible?

1 minute ago, Defcon said:

edition: Windos 10 pro

activation: Windows is activated with a digital license

so I guess that confirms it? If so another qn - right now it has a test account I think the seller setup. I can add my MS account but I want to remove the current account as well, is that possible?

Click Start, go to Settings, then Accounts, on the left click Family & Other People, under 'Other People' click the + to add someone else to the computer. Once you have completed the new Account, sign out of the "Test" Account, go back into Settings, then Accounts and you can remove the Test Account from your device.

Thanks. I thought so but I think in the past when I did this the result was different than setting up fresh with a MS account. Still debating whether I should just do a fresh install with latest creator's update iso.

Does the digital license also apply to Windows in a vm (on same hardware). I'm guessing not as it won't have access to hw.

3 minutes ago, Defcon said:

Thanks. I thought so but I think in the past when I did this the result was different than setting up fresh with a MS account. Still debating whether I should just do a fresh install with latest creator's update iso.

Does the digital license also apply to Windows in a vm (on same hardware). I'm guessing not as it won't have access to hw.

Regarding the last sentence...you would need another w10 (or other OS) license for the VM.

Hello,

As a quick test, you could always remove the existing HDD/SSD, install an empty drive, load Windows 10 onto it, and then see if it activates.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

If you want you could see if insider would let you run under a VM.

I have win10 creator on main and insider on VBox with no issues.