Texas teen electrocuted while holding cellphone in a bathtub


Recommended Posts

SpeedyTheSnail

I've never been shocked by 240V, but I did work on generators at a a power plant, which combined put out many megawatts of electricity, at a line voltage of 13.2KV. I personally think that 24V DC shocks worse than 120AC, at least with AC you can get thrown back. DC makes you clamp down on a wire. The electrician that I worked with says never again will he get shocked by 480V, he had permanent nerve damage on his hand from it (it arced).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
+jnelsoninjax

Police have released the last text message that 14-year-old Madison Coe sent before she was electrocuted while texting in the bathtub at her father’s New Mexico home.

 

Coe, of New Mexico, reportedly texted an image of her phone charger plugged into an extension cord to a friend along with the message, “When you use [an] extension cord so you can plug your phone in while you’re in the bath.”

 

The picture shows Coe’s charger lying on a towel over a bath mat. The eighth grade student was later found dead inside of the tub on Saturday night.

 

Coe’s parents said they hope that sharing their daughter’s last text will help prevent similar accidents.

 

“(Coe’s parents) hope this will raise awareness of the dangers that combination of electricity, water and portable electronic devices can pose to people, especially teenagers, who are the heaviest users of these devices,” David Miranda, public information officer for Lovington Police, said in a statement.

 

Officials said the girl died from touching a frayed part of the extension cord that had water in it. Coe might not have known the cord was frayed, the report said.

 

The teen often took her cell phone into the bathroom to play games or listen to music as she soaked in the tub, her family said,

 

“Whenever I talked to Madison about it, she said, ‘Dad, it's outside the tub,’” Logan Coe, Madison’s father, said.

 

Experts say that extension cords make the situation more dangerous because water could be on the floor, where the extension cord is also lying.

 

The girl's stepmother, who is a nurse, and father, a firefighter and EMT, carried out CPR until paramedics arrived.

 

"There was so much water in her little lungs and it all seemed so unreal," her father said.

 

The medical examiner confirmed the cause of death was electrocution.

http://www.clickorlando.com/inside-edition/police-release-last-text-message-14yearold-sent-before-she-was-electrocuted-in-bathtub

Link to post
Share on other sites
DocM

Too many fails to count.....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Nashy
On 7/12/2017 at 1:24 AM, warwagon said:

Well what if when she grabs the phone, water goes down inside between the charge cable and the charging port.

USB doesn't have enough power to do anything in that regard.  Seems more like she dumped the other end in the water.

Link to post
Share on other sites
SpeedyTheSnail

The bright girl used an extension cord to plug the iPhone in, what a real genius. She was indeed "wise" beyond her years, it's amazing she made it that far.

 

What do they teach kids these days?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
techbeck

Yes, it was dumb to use an extension cord especially a frayed one.  We all do stupid things and this one ended up costing a life.  Looking back on some of the stupid things I have done, I am surprised I am still around.  Live and learn, if you get the chance to.

Link to post
Share on other sites
xendrome

So it infact had NOTHING to do with a cellphone "frayed part of the extension cord that had water in it"

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
+jnelsoninjax
11 hours ago, xendrome said:

So it infact had NOTHING to do with a cellphone "frayed part of the extension cord that had water in it"

 

 

Exactly, just a sensational headline, though it could have been a Samsung.... :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Evil Overlord

I read headlines like this, then think to myself

WTAF is wrong with people, have they forgotten the dangers of <insert whatever medium here>

When I was growing up, there were endless campaigns about the dangers of electricity and so on....

Link to post
Share on other sites
DocM

Not to mention the many film/TV depictions of radios etc. falling into tubs. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Shiranui

Vindicated!

Link to post
Share on other sites
FloatingFatMan
19 hours ago, SpeedyTheSnail said:

What do they teach kids these days?

Very little, apparently...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.