Make Media Player Classic Default - How?

Question

How on earth do I get Media Player Classic to be the default Media player?

I have "Right Clicked, open with" & ticked "Always use selected program etc..." with various Media file types.

I have been to the options menu in Media Player Classic & selected the desired media but that does not help.

Is there anyway that I can Get Media Player Classic to open by default instead of Media Player 7?

Help please....? :cry:

7 answers to this question

goto folder options, then file types, and look at the file types you want to change. goto advanced, and delete any reference to WMP, and create a new association with MPC.

WMP doesn't like losing associations, so sometimes you have to brute force it by completely removing WMP references from the file type.

Thanks for the pointers but I just done what you suggested & noticed that within the Advanced section that it was specifically pointing to the Location where I had put MPC!

All looks well but it isn't!

This is very easy:

1) open WMP 9 (or whatever version you are running)

2) Tools -> Options -> File Types

3) Uncheck everything (or just the things you want to assign to MPC)

4) Hit OK and close WMP

5) Open MPC

6) View -> Options -> Formats

7) Check whatever you want to assign to MPC (note the handy Video, Audio and All buttons)

8) Hit OK and close MPC

Files have been assigned to MPC now.

just when i start to like windows media player.. :)

thanks for such good advice i always wanted to know a quicker way except for going to folder and changing file associations for the media file types :p

goto folder options, then file types, and look at the file types you want to change. goto advanced, and delete any reference to WMP, and create a new association with MPC.

WMP doesn't like losing associations, so sometimes you have to brute force it by completely removing WMP references from the file type.

Eh... I wrote that code. :) It's not that "WMP doesn't like losing associations", it's that there's a split between the browser and shell file associations, so if your application that is trying to take associations over doesn't know what it's doing, it might not do it right, and thus be stuck in limbo.

But yeah, unchecking the type in WMP's Formats/File Types dialog should undo the associations nicely, and roll back to any previously registered application if available.

I worked hard to be compatible with other apps that might want to take over the file association. If they can't take over the file association, then they're not doing something right in their software. Shouldn't be too hard for them to fix, though. :)