Laptop recommendation

4 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Comparatively to the unit I posted above for $899, the CPU is slightly faster, but the GTX 1050 is garbage to the 1050 Ti, along with it being 8GB in 2x4GB sticks, can't just add a 8GB stick for $60. So  you are paying a premium almost $300 for a slightly faster CPU, way slower GPU, no free ram slots and the XPS name badge.

The RAM issue is related to SODIMMs vs. desktop-type DIMMs - anything that takes SODIMM memory sticks has that issue (that includes AIOs, such as Mom's AIO).  The non-TI GPU means none of the TI features (which have to do with streaming for the most part; however, one biggie in the 1050 Ti vs. non-TI is GPU memory support - non-TI parts can be equipped with non-GDDR5 GPU memory; I have seen DDR3 in non-TI desktop GTX1050 parts).  You ARE going to get BOHICA for TI parts in portables - expecting otherwise is silly.

35 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Sure, if you are only looking at specs, but Dell XPS 15 has a much better "build".

So you've spent some time with the Inspiron 5000 Gaming (7567) unit and have handled it hands on huh?

28 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

The RAM issue is related to SODIMMs vs. desktop-type DIMMs - anything that takes SODIMM memory sticks has that issue (that includes AIOs, such as Mom's AIO).  The non-TI GPU means none of the TI features (which have to do with streaming for the most part; however, one biggie in the 1050 Ti vs. non-TI is GPU memory support - non-TI parts can be equipped with non-GDDR5 GPU memory; I have seen DDR3 in non-TI desktop GTX1050 parts).  You ARE going to get BOHICA for TI parts in portables - expecting otherwise is silly.

Has what issue, the Inspiron 5000 Gaming I posted has a single 8GB stick with 1 free slot. There isn't some "known" issue with SODIMMs vs desktop DIMMs. It is just a form factor difference.

There are no such thing as "TI features" - http://www.anandtech.com/show/10980/nvidia-launches-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-gtx-1050-for-laptops It's a difference in clock, CUDA cores, ROPs and texture units. There's no special "streaming" features different in the Ti models. The 1050 Ti represents a 25% increase across the board - http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti-Mobile-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Mobile/m223242vsm211022

Edited by xendrome

1 hour ago, xendrome said:

So you've spent some time with the Inspiron 5000 Gaming (7567) unit and have handled it hands on huh?

Has what issue, the Inspiron 5000 Gaming I posted has a single 8GB stick with 1 free slot. There isn't some "known" issue with SODIMMs vs desktop DIMMs. It is just a form factor difference.

There are no such thing as "TI features" - http://www.anandtech.com/show/10980/nvidia-launches-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-gtx-1050-for-laptops It's a difference in clock, CUDA cores, ROPs and texture units. There's no special "streaming" features different in the Ti models. The 1050 Ti represents a 25% increase across the board - http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti-Mobile-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Mobile/m223242vsm211022

I just don't really see a point in stressing the GPU so much when he said already that the GPU isn't a big factor for him. And knowing software development, unless you're doing game software you're not going to really need a 1050TI for anything.

It's fine to say you get better specs for a lesser price, but stressing the GPU seems very moot at this point.

54 minutes ago, Emn1ty said:

I just don't really see a point in stressing the GPU so much when he said already that the GPU isn't a big factor for him. And knowing software development, unless you're doing game software you're not going to really need a 1050TI for anything.

It's fine to say you get better specs for a lesser price, but stressing the GPU seems very moot at this point.

Not needed for anything eh?

*cough*4k external monitor @60hz*cough*

3 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

Sure, if you are only looking at specs, but Dell XPS 15 has a much better "build".

Yes. That Dell is a beauty. I own 2 XPS laptop. Had one replaced under protection plan due to mouse dying and popping out of the case... Still love them though 

Please to use daily.  I would say the below is what IP should buy, and be the student with the best laptop ;)

3 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

Dell XPS 15 - 9560
$1,179.00

New

Processor: Intel Core 7th Generation i7-7700HQ Processor (Quad Core, up to 3.80 GHz, 6MB Cache, 35W)

Windows 10 Home 64bit English

256GB PCIe M.2 NVMe Class 40 Solid State Drive

8 GB DDR4 Non-ECC SDRAM 2400MHz (2x4GB)

15.6inch FHD (1920 x 1080) InfinityEdge

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 4GB

1 Year Premium Support- Onsite Support After Remote Diagnosis and Software Support Warranty

Free Shipping Included

Dell Outlet XPS 15 - 9560 Laptop

Outlet Price$1,179.00

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ArbOnlineSales/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh&brandid=2201&sign=PXhcOSHtr1T4IOw%2fPR7UdRuFRRts5%2fqgxWZTcl18afydquccydYXov7r0GMBEw8oUkhOuwcxP8%2bbL5WpP8N5VEmtsHRCMs3H8R%2f8tjayM%2fXMT%2bi%2f44vP07x0EuGMxTLjWntlFDrNRGnDNXRQDr5PUcp4C5gjjZA9QdCHai5FPyZO6x%2fNJ8hbjQKgfh%2bwVBe8cmQbGPGCBWsToRI13K2Foo3jV2oo6zEUVNCvv7PBbdBdsUO1zDDmV%2b%2bNQZjHpSG3Sp%2foJPRZ8NEH7TxHcgirAAWFpqbsFSNIlquJCdiDmvvUd0BkWFabucMeZSxm4%2f2I44thFQXg4aE%3d

2 hours ago, xendrome said:

Really?   You seem to be overly defensive of the laptop you have suggested.   And seem to not like other people suggesting alternatives.   Why is it so?   

first you go at @Razethen at @Mockingbird for giving other suggestions, like they are not valid or worthy -  what is your beef?  

Mockingbird was right - XPS 15 has much better build!  It might have some less specs, and is more expensive, but the thickness (much thinner), style (all classy, no gaming flair), and weight (considerably lighter), as well as the screen to body ratio (way better looking), more then make up to it.

For a student, you want something that is easier to take everywhere with you, and you want something that looks cool ;)

in my personal humble opinion, i would never buy the laptop you suggested, because it is heavy, fat, and ugly... but that is just my opinion.   facts that is has 1050 Ti  VS 1050 and different ram, are the things i could not care less about personally.

Otherwise, this XPS thing is a beast!  And would make an awesome daily driver for a student.  I would I had something similar when I was a student, but IIRC my cool laptop was 2 inches thick, and had a 10" monitor....

I know you might love it, but please stop pushing you laptop as some sort of holy grail, because it is not .  Are you even really happy with it?   Because trying to prove that it is the best to everyone on internet, is a sign of unhappiness.

2 hours ago, xendrome said:

Yes, I have.

Inspiron 5000 Gaming is the size of a textbook.

It's fine for a portable gaming laptop, but lack the portability and slickness of the XPS 15.

• Like 3

Just now, Mockingbird said:

Yes, I have.

Inspiron 5000 Gaming is the size of a textbook.

It's fine for a portable gaming laptop, but lack the portability and slickness of the XPS 15.

lol a text book? No.. they are pretty close in size. XPS 15 is slightly lighter in weight

XPS 15 Height: 0.45 – 0.66" (11-17mm) | Width: 14.06" (357mm) | Depth: 9.27" (235mm) 

Inspiron 5000 Gaming - Height: 1.00" (25.44mm) x Width: 15.15" (384.9mm) x Depth: 10.82" (274.73mm)

12 minutes ago, xendrome said:

lol a text book? No.. they are pretty close in size. XPS 15 is slightly lighter in weight

XPS 15 Height: 0.45 – 0.66" (11-17mm) | Width: 14.06" (357mm) | Depth: 9.27" (235mm) 

Inspiron 5000 Gaming - Height: 1.00" (25.44mm) x Width: 15.15" (384.9mm) x Depth: 10.82" (274.73mm)

it like 50% to 100% thicker man!   less wide too.   not even close to being close.

the weight difference is also a 50% increase.       so not really slight, by any means;)   

textbook is a pretty good way to describe it.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Not needed for anything eh?

*cough*4k external monitor @60hz*cough*

The OP didn't ask for a 4K card or even mention external monitors that run at 4K.

I think we need to take a moment and re-read what _Truman wrote, then go and come up with a recommendation.  There's no point in arguing about graphic card speed or sleek design or lightness.

He wants a reliable mobile workstation, not an ultrabook or gaming laptop. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Joe User said:

I think we need to take a moment and re-read what _Truman wrote, then go and come up with a recommendation.  There's no point in arguing about graphic card speed or sleek design or lightness.

He wants a reliable mobile workstation, not an ultrabook or gaming laptop. 

hmm, you do have a point.  though i don't see why you cant have both. :D   

(though i must admit i am not sure how well XPS will last for heavy daily use for 4-5 years, and if something goes bad after the warranty, it might be a bitch to repair...

1 minute ago, E.worm Jimmy said:

hmm, you do have a point.  though i don't see why you cant have both. :D   

(though i must admit i am not sure how well XPS will last for heavy daily use for 4-5 years, and if something goes bad after the warranty, it might be a bitch to repair...

It sounds like he wants a larger keyboard, trackpad and screen, you're not really going to get that in a 15 inch laptop. Remember, this is for a mechanical engineer, big screen, full keyboard/trackpad and lots of ram are the priority.

1 hour ago, Emn1ty said:

The OP didn't ask for a 4K card or even mention external monitors that run at 4K.

It takes a rather stu..er special buyer to buy not expecting they might need room to grow. Its your prerogative I guess. I 100% guarantee you the poster did not list every use case or scenario in this post unless you know him personally. People bounce ideas off of other people to bring up suggestions and ideas that they may have not thought of.

You get a garbage GPU in a laptop and you are done if you want to run high resolution external monitors without performance issues.

Kinda like buying a Miata when your wife wants to have children.

42 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

It takes a rather stu..er special buyer to buy not expecting they might need room to grow. Its your prerogative I guess. I 100% guarantee you the poster did not list every use case or scenario in this post unless you know him personally. People bounce ideas off of other people to bring up suggestions and ideas that they may have not thought of.

You get a garbage GPU in a laptop and you are done if you want to run high resolution external monitors without performance issues.

You can sell those things if your needs change. 

48 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

To be able to assume what the OP did and did not want with 100% certainty based on what he didn't write in his post, you too would have to know him personally. So I don't really get where you're going with this. If it's important let the OP speak for themselves. You don't need to speak for them

9 minutes ago, Emn1ty said:

To be able to assume what the OP did and did not want with 100% certainty based on what he didn't write in his post, you too would have to know him personally. So I don't really get where you're going with this. If it's important let the OP speak for themselves. You don't need to speak for them

It’s not a difficult concept. People post to bounce off ideas off of other people. Who are you to decide it’s not necessary for them? Let the poster decide. You tell me not to speak for the poster yet you do the same by saying what they do or don’t need. 

12 minutes ago, Joe User said:

You can sell those things if your needs change. 

Unless he is buying a MacBook Pro, it will be at a considerable loss. So yes you can, but I would not call that a wise purchasing decision. 

5 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

It’s not a difficult concept. People post to bounce off ideas off of other people. Who are you to decide it’s not necessary for them? Let the poster decide. You tell me not to speak for the poster yet you do the same by saying what they do or don’t need. 

On 7/15/2017 at 9:14 AM, _Truman said:

Not important:

- Weight

- Thickness

- Resolution (though at least 1920 by 1080)

- Touch (would rather not have it)

- Flexibility (again would rather not have a 2-in-1 or similar)

- Graphics processing, I will not be playing demanding games (but I need netflix ;)

- Fancy lights

The OP did speak for himself when he said graphics processing wasn't important. You're the one who assumed it was. Anyways, I'm done we don't need more stupid back and forth's in this topic.

2 minutes ago, Emn1ty said:

The OP did speak for himself when he said graphics processing wasn't important. You're the one who assumed it was. Anyways, I'm done we don't need more stupid back and forth's in this topic.

I don’t know what makes you think that GPU only means games. I agree about the stupid back and forths. Not sure why you decided to start it in the first place. 

3 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I don’t know what makes you think that GPU only means games. I agree about the stupid back and forths. Not sure why you decided to start it in the first place. 

Because most software doesn't use a GPU, most software is CPU/Memory dependant. Even video/audio processing are CPU bound. Most rendering outside of games is CPU bound (this includes things like solidworks and autocad).

I'm almost afraid to post anything.   :ermm:

Here is a list for laptops under $1200 (barely) from Best Buy - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/shop/laptops-under-1200

More info - http://www.pcworld.com/article/2854456/laptop-computers/the-best-pc-laptops-of-the-year.html

These links are only suggestions and do not mean they are the best or only choices available.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Emn1ty said:

Because most software doesn't use a GPU, most software is CPU/Memory dependant. Even video/audio processing are CPU bound. Most rendering outside of games is CPU bound (this includes things like solidworks and autocad).

What happened to you being done with a “stupid” back and forth? I didn’t mention GPU acceleration for applications. The poster also mentioned an HDMI port needed. What do you think that might mean?

5 minutes ago, Raze said:

I'm almost afraid to post anything.   :ermm:

Here is a list for laptops under $1200 (barely) from Best Buy - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/shop/laptops-under-1200

More info - http://www.pcworld.com/article/2854456/laptop-computers/the-best-pc-laptops-of-the-year.html

These links are only suggestions and do not mean they are the best or only choices available.

Right? I’m not understanding why some people in this thread seem to think they need to control the flow of suggestions and thoughts behind those decisions. Lots of egos flaring up in here. 

Edited by adrynalyne