Windows saying I have no internet access but I am connected to the internet

In the notification centre the network icon has a warning triangle on it and when I hover over the tooltip tells me I have no internet access.

I've ran the troubleshooting and it's reset the adaptor and forced a restart of the computer and sometimes when the computer restarts the network is fine but then it reverts to saying it has no internet access.

I'm not sure what to try next to figure out what the problem is.

Are you connecting to Wi-Fi ?

If so , unplug your router/modem from power for 30 seconds and plug in again

check that after 1 min or so , if internet connection is back on the computer.

cheers

Are you connected to the internet (as per the title) or do you lose connection? If you are still connected then it a common problem and I wouldn't worry about it. If I remember correctly it is showing that you are unable to access a specific site, cant remember the address.

If connection is lost then some general info would be useful. When you next have the issue, open a command prompt (Start -> cmd ->enter) and post back the results of ipconfig /all and ping 8.8.8.8. Can you also ping www.bbc.co.uk, could also be DNS related.

Hello,

Have you done anything to disable telemetry in Windows 10?  If so, the network stack may be unable to reach the Network Connectivity Status Indicator sit by attempting to request http://www.msftncsi.com/ncsi.txt or attempting to resolve dns.msftncsi.com.  This could cause Windows to think it is not connected to the Internet, resulting in notification badge being overlayed on the networking icon.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

+goretsky hit the nail on the head here, getting the overlay is just windows telling you is method of determining if it has internet has failed.  Doesn't really mean that is the case - just its method.  It does the dns query, so if that fails then it can think it doesn't have internet access.

here is link

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee126135(WS.10).aspx

While this article says for 7 and 2k8, it hasn't really changed in the newer versions of windows.