Surgeons remove 27 contact lenses from woman's eye

Jim K

Surgeons have removed 27 contact lenses from the eye of a 67-year-old woman who had come to Solihull Hospital for routine cataract surgery.

"A bluish foreign body" turned out to be a "hard mass" of 17 lenses stuck together with mucus, and 10 more were then found under further examination.

A report in the BMJ said she had worn disposable lenses for 35 years, and had not complained of any irritation.

But after they were removed, she said her eyes felt a lot more comfortable.

/snip

Full article at the BBC

As a former contact user...I just can't imagine how she managed this. Having one contact roll up was enough to make my eyes scream. Couldn't fathom having 27 of them in my eye... at the same time.

• Like 1
dipsylalapo

Really? I've had issues with a single one causing a serious amount of pain. This is just another level!

"She was quite shocked. She thought her previous discomfort was just part of old age and dry eye."

Either she has a high pain tolerance or it just wasn't that bad, but I shudder to think.

• Like 2
Nick H.

I read this earlier today, and I still don't understand how this happened...did she think they had dissolved or something? And 27 of them, wouldn't her eye socket look swollen? What kind of time did this all happen over, months? Years? :blink:

Draconian Guppy

wow... how did she not notice this:

_96971060_mediaitem96971059.jpg

The case report said the patient had poorer vision in her right eye and deep-set eyes, which may have been a factor in the lenses becoming lost.

Association of Optometrists spokeswoman Ceri Smith-Jaynes said losing contact lenses in the eye was a common problem but they usually worked their way out.

"They are normally hiding, folded up under the top lid of the eye," she said.

"They can't go any further up than that because there is a pocket.

"It's the same under the bottom lid - the lens can only be in one of those places."

+jnelsoninjax

As a current contact lens wearer I can not figure out how this happened, unless she simply never removed them! The lenses I currently use are good for 30 days, and I keep careful track of that, I never sleep with them in either, though the manufacturer says that I could. But I do experience the lens shifting or folding, but I can feel that so I know they are there still! 

Brys

I have stopped wearing one layer of contact lenses because it had begun to annoy me, so I can't imagine 27 layers.