Goodbye, old friend

So last night I made the difficult decision to finally say goodbye to my Xbox 360. I was going through the few games that I still wanted to play on there and realised that most of these are now BC so I no longer need to use my 360 to play them. I'll be transferring over save games to the cloud for the few games that I still like to dabble in but after that it'll be packed backed into the box and laid to rest with my PS3 Slim, PS2, Xbox and Gamecube. 

I bought the first 360 on launch day and then upgraded to the Elite when that was released, and it's literally been sat under my TV for as long as I can remember. It's been with me through 5 towns/cities and 7 house moves. 

So long old friend :)

• Like 9

Mine still sets in a spare room under a tv, not hooked up or connected. Hasn't been turned on in years now. I don't have the heart to put her in a box into the roof just yet, Like you I had her from first moving out and a lot of moving around until I finally purchased my own place as I got older. 

She's been more loyal and stood by my side more than several girlfriends with lifes ups and down's over a massive period. Hopefully one day she can rest easy in a nice glass display cabinet in the future theatre room.

BC is a glorious thing. And the best thing that's been done this generation to keep the games alive going forward.

aww man, you guys are making me sad, I had to get rid of my 360 in order to get my XB1 :(

I'd love to say it was the day one console I bought but I had 3 RRoD's in the end so it was my 4th 360 by the end.

I'll probably trade in my XB1 to get an XB1X when the time comes too.

Mine was a 2nd gen one. Lasted well until I upgraded to an Xbone.

By the end of it, it'd only play games at a 45 degree angle, and you had to prise the tray open to get the disc out, but damnit it still played games! 

Mine's been in a box since before the Xbox One was released... I just hated the massive lump of a power supply unit. I think the last time I played on it was when Red Dead Redemption came out.

Still got my Xbox 360 Slim alongside the Xbox One, works brilliantly after all these years (Y) Mainly use it for Forza 4 and PGR4, both games need to come to BC already :(

• Like 1

PGR! I want them to bring that game back. I feel like Forza Horizon was supposed to fill that void but PGR was just something else!

• Like 3

I had the original 360, gave that to my sister when I upgraded to the 360 S, which I have sitting on a shelf not connected.  I don't know if I'll ever give it away or if it'll just sit there and end up in a box in a closet next to my old NES and Genesis, dunno what happened to the PSX and PS2, those are somewhere as well. :p 

i still have my x360 elite which was bought solely for PGR series. 

I also still have 2 original black xboxes (the black bricks) chipped and modded for XBMC back in the day :) still work fine at 1080i via the HQ cable kit and dvd remote. Not used these days but couldnt bring myself to bin them.

I keep my hooked up for now until more games are playable on the X1.  I recently started using it to play DA:2.   I had the 360 that was plagued with the RROD but mine lasted 6yrs before I got that issue.  Then I got the 360 slim.  Still have the box for it as well.

On 19/07/2017 at 8:26 AM, dipsylalapo said:

So last night I made the difficult decision to finally say goodbye to my Xbox 360. I was going through the few games that I still wanted to play on there and realised that most of these are now BC so I no longer need to use my 360 to play them. I'll be transferring over save games to the cloud for the few games that I still like to dabble in but after that it'll be packed backed into the box and laid to rest with my PS3 Slim, PS2, Xbox and Gamecube. 

I bought the first 360 on launch day and then upgraded to the Elite when that was released, and it's literally been sat under my TV for as long as I can remember. It's been with me through 5 towns/cities and 7 house moves. 

So long old friend :)

I can't bring myself to do the same. Both my 360 and PS3 have pride of place in my setup, while my X1 and PS4 are disconnected. However, I will be very quick to box up the X1 and PS4 when the time comes; I've really disliked this "generation" more than any other before it.

Meanwhile, I can't get enough of the 360 / PS3 and their respective libraries :wub:

On 7/24/2017 at 10:51 AM, Andrew said:

I can't bring myself to do the same. Both my 360 and PS3 have pride of place in my setup, while my X1 and PS4 are disconnected. However, I will be very quick to box up the X1 and PS4 when the time comes; I've really disliked this "generation" more than any other before it.

Meanwhile, I can't get enough of the 360 / PS3 and their respective libraries :wub:

I agree with you, my Xbox 360's also been getting more use than the Xbox One, this generation seems to have pretty much abandoned local multiplayer for some reason. I know i'm in the minority but i'd sooner get some mates together and play in the same room.

In comparison the Xbox 360 has loads of games which allow 4 people to play on one console, or system link 2 per console, many are not backwards compatible sadly, that's why my 360 will be hooked up for a long time to come. To be honest I still had my Xbox Classic hooked up until i got a Wii U as it was great for emulation.

I do think the Wii U is such an underrated console this gen, you have some great exclusives including:  Mario Kart, Fast Racing Neo, Smash Bros, New Super Mario Bros and Bayonetta 2, all supporting 4 player local play with the exception of Bayonetta 2.

Then with hacks the Wii U can emulate every Nintendo console released to date with the exception of the 3DS, along with many other retro consoles too.

• Like 2

I've started to become sad that I don't have my 360 anymore because of Crackdown.  I mean, it's not like I need to play through it for the 5,000th time ;) but I WOULD!

I had hoped it would eventually hit BC.  Hell, I still do.  But there's been no indication of it actually happening.

2 hours ago, dwLostCat said:

I've started to become sad that I don't have my 360 anymore because of Crackdown.  I mean, it's not like I need to play through it for the 5,000th time ;) but I WOULD!

I had hoped it would eventually hit BC.  Hell, I still do.  But there's been no indication of it actually happening.

I expect a games with gold before Crackdown 3 launch :) 

I have 3 consoles which are the following:

• Xbox 360
  • Xbox 360 Elite
  • Xbox One

These are still working to this day.  

I am considering to get Xbox One X. Unless I get PS4 or PS5.  If I get new one this year, I will give one of the consoles to someone else so he/she could use it.

I retired my 360 when I moved. It's now sitting in my basement. The only reason I used the 360 was for Kinect, but I haven't used it recently.

1 hour ago, Vandalsquad said:

I expect a games with gold before Crackdown 3 launch :) 

Crackdown 1 was already part of GwG in 2013 (it was part of the programs launch).

11 hours ago, Andrew said:

Crackdown 1 was already part of GwG in 2013 (it was part of the programs launch).

Sorry meant an announcing of backwards compat with free games with gold, should of clarified. Maybe with Crackdown 2 the same month? Or over 2 months? Would be good way to drum up attention either way. Don't see any other reason it hasn't been given backwards compat yet.

2 hours ago, Vandalsquad said:

Sorry meant an announcing of backwards compat with free games with gold, should of clarified. Maybe with Crackdown 2 the same month? Or over 2 months? Would be good way to drum up attention either way. Don't see any other reason it hasn't been given backwards compat yet.

I'm not sure if it's coming at all.  It had a significant amount of licensed music that may need to be relicensed for it.

I'd hope they'd be able to take care of it but I'm prepared to be disappointed, considering how long we've been waiting already.

4 hours ago, dwLostCat said:

I'm not sure if it's coming at all.  It had a significant amount of licensed music that may need to be relicensed for it.

I'd hope they'd be able to take care of it but I'm prepared to be disappointed, considering how long we've been waiting already.

They managed to get it done with Forza Horizon so fingers crossed or seriously just replace the tracklist. I think we'll see music licencing in games in the future change when contracts are exchanged to negate this very effect. We can hope so anyway. 

I said goodbye to the 360 the day the One was released.
It was easily the most love/hate relationship I ever had with a gaming console. Any electronic period actually.

In total I had 4 RROD's. That is just straight up ridiculous.

However I never gave up on it for one reason and one reason only. It was the best console at the time.

Also if the discussion is online gaming, I immediately think of the 360. That is primarily thanks to the online Neowin matches we used to have.

So definitely more love than hate, but damn the RROD was a pain in the arse.

54 minutes ago, DirtyLarry said:

I said goodbye to the 360 the day the One was released.
It was easily the most love/hate relationship I ever had with a gaming console. Any electronic period actually.

In total I had 4 RROD's. That is just straight up ridiculous.

However I never gave up on it for one reason and one reason only. It was the best console at the time.

Also if the discussion is online gaming, I immediately think of the 360. That is primarily thanks to the online Neowin matches we used to have.

So definitely more love than hate, but damn the RROD was a pain in the arse.

welcome back

i knew someone closely connected to xbox.   I wanted Elite but they actually failed the most.  Anyhow, lots and lots of quality controls at MS in every fabric over the world.  
Even though it was not the first console. for MS.   I really hope the quality controls standards will continue to rise, but the next hiccup i personally experience was buying surface book close to the launch date.  i returned it as unusable.  

If i got it about 3-4 months later, i would have kept it.  But not only i returned it, i grew heavy skepticism towards surface brand from now on. never will buy at release date.

If only they had a working product at launch.. it would help their popularity huge. 

when the product of the quality expected at launch (for the price they sell) is only in the best workable shape months later, way after the peak of interest is missed completely, it is really bad customer service. 

• 1 month later...

I've got some warm memories as well :) I bought my 360 (slim model) from my first salary and never had any problems with it. This is definitely one of my favorite consoles so far. My favorite series is: GoW and Forza and we are still playing this games sometimes with my friends in a split-screen.