• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Hibernate button

DWZ    0

I am running RC1 on a workgroup (ie. with the Windows Welcome Screen). When I go START ==> TURN OFF COMPUTER, I am given the choice to Shutdown, restart, stand by or hibernate by holding the SHIFT key and clicking Stand By.

I think I read somewhere by changing a reg key you could get a hibernate button up. Anyone know what this is?

mortensen    0

Isn't hibernation only for bears and squirrels?

*shrugs* - I hardly ever use any other features like Standby or Hibernate. My computer is either on or off and I like to keep it that simple. I don't even use the Restart option. I shut down the computer and turn it on manually if I want to restart it... I find that the second or two without power help to clear out they system.

Please can someone enlighten me on how these features [hibernate and standby] are useful? I've never really looked into them.

-mortensenj

sw33p0r    0

They use less power, dont leave you're components running hard

+devHead    1,986

I use hibernate now almost exclusively in Windows 2000, and I'll tell you why: speed. I can click the 'power' button on my computer and instead it hibernates (no: Start button, Shutdown, and then a dialog box). When I turn it back on, it reloads the RAM from the hard drive back into memory, and boom, in less than 20 seconds I'm back up and running. Even if I had programs running, they are still there! The good thing about hibernate from standby, is when your computer is hibernating, the power is off. Hibernation is a system state controlled by the OS (either Windows 2000 or XP) on a ACPI compliant mobo. Since Windows 2000 (and XP too) don't need to be rebooted every day like Windows 9x, why shut it down and have it reboot (reload all the drivers, and everything else Windows has to do on a cold boot) if it doesn't have to? Standby, on the other hand doesn't seem to be much more than a blank screen saver; I really don't use it...

Hope that's informative!

Fedorpheux    0

hey, anybody ever notice this is the 1337 topic? (check the URL ;) )

go me for bringing up a really old and boring thread for a totally pointless and stupid reason! w00t!!! :woot:

....man, i have no life....... :rolleyes:

devBrian    64
hey, anybody ever notice this is the 1337 topic? (check the URL ;) )

go me for bringing up a really old and boring thread for a totally pointless and stupid reason! w00t!!! :woot:

....man, i have no life....... :rolleyes:

Haha, nice find. But I should slap the hell out of you just for searching for it.

:pinch:

JK1150    0

ur running windows xp beta rc1? why?

Fedorpheux    0
Haha, nice find.  But I should slap the hell out of you just for searching for it.

:pinch:

yeah you should slap me...but if it makes you feel any better, at least i'm smart enough to not have to go searching or anything for this topic...you just change the URL of a thread and change the thread number to 1337....

@ JK1150: check the dates at the beginning of this thread.....sorry for confusing you :pinch:

Edited by Fedorpheux

DigitalN.    2

i was goona say that! damn you...

John    7
ur running windows xp beta rc1? why?

read the date :p