SpaceX Funding Round #18

Manager: Baillie Gifford  Investments, Scotland. BG owns 7.5% of Tesla.

Amount: $500m

Valuation: $30.5 billion

Purpose: StarLink

Rounds 1-17 raised $2.2 billion.

This is the $500 M reduced from the $700M just a short time ago.

This was kept internal...hence only $200 M out on investment hunting.

Initially reported by the WSJ, "paywalled" but here...

Elon Musk’s SpaceX Is Raising $500 Million in Funding

https://www.wsj.com/articles/elon-musks-spacex-is-raising-500-million-in-funding-11545142054

and here...

SpaceX raising $500 million to help build satellite broadband network

http://SpaceX raising $500 million to help build satellite broadband network

This is Starlink investment for proposed June 2019 initial launch salvo from F9's to get a preliminary network running by 2020.

This is only one of many rounds, primarily for initial costs...the final estimate of constellation cost is $10B.

I'll put the data in the Starlink thread. 

This spring we have two  Falcon Heavy launches,

March: ArabSat-6 commsat

April: USAF STP-2, a collection of smallsats and a solar sail

Same boosters for both missions; one is at McGregor for testing,  and the second is on its way.

• Like 1

I did see this picture of the goals we may see Space X hit this year and rough timelines against them. All going well, this will be another great year for them.

nob7ai35nt721.jpg?width=1024&auto=webp&s

• Like 4

It will be a good year...and the above image does not show their normal launch manifest, development of Boca Chica, development of the new Starship factory in LA,  test stands at Macgreger, Raptor development, Florida pier facilities and visitor center work or the possible restart  of the new ASDS  again.

Buckle up!

• Like 2

The first Falcon Heavy Block 5's  side booster on the test stand at McGregor, this one for ArabSat-6. 

In the background is the new "upper stage" engine test stand, assumed to be for Starship engine tests.

Adjusted for haze

IMG_20190110_101644.thumb.jpg.01d5571722822160ca13c584b2a262d2.jpg

27 minutes ago, Beittil said:

Not per se, just long overdue if you ask me. They just don't need that much production staff anymore to crank out engines and boosters... 

I wish this was more the case but it really isn't. Overall the cuts are not great and we are losing some good people and certainly not just limited to production. 

I would think those hired to develop & build a huge composite launch system with ablative TPS are no longer needed given Starship and Super Heavy's transition to stainless steel and an active TPS.

They also need to free up payroll for StarLink etc. hires. 6 pages of openings on the Careers page.

Also, if they're like many other companys they periodically "cull" those with the lowest personnel review scores, often several percent.

Edited by DocM

• 2 weeks later...

Why is arabsat going on heavy by the way? I read it was 6000kg which is well within the falcon 9 expendable mode and cheaper than the heavy reusable? Mean it could have gone up well before now. Not that I am complaining I can't wait to see another heavy go up.

AIUI,

SpaceX is trying to move GEO launches to FH in general, lengthening the lifespan of the F9 fleet. The center core is an extra-tough build for those high energy launches.

Pricing will be interesting, with a Flight Proven™ FH being almost as cheap as a new F9.  

Want a really high energy launch like BEO? $5m more for 90% of an expended's capability. Boosters go to drone ships with KSC having two this summer; Of Course I Still Love You and A Shortfall of Gravitas.

• Like 1