(mac) Questions about .mac

My domain registration for my personal site just ran out this past week and I decided not to register it. Being a Mac user this year, I am thinking about trying out .Mac. I just have a couple questions about it.

#1 - Is the Mail good. Does anyone here use it?

#2 - How much webspace do I get? Just to host various files like sigs, avatars and desktops. I would use my professional webspace for other stuff, this would just be a hobby spot.

#3 - Can I access the webspace via FTP? I just want to throw files up there via transmit and access them with a URL. I would prefer not to use this weird theme stuff that they try to make you select.

I would use spymac, as its new services sounds really great, but it also seems very unstable to me. I trust .mac a little more.

So any users out there, please help and share your other relevant experiences.

1) I've used it, it's alright.

2) 100mb on iDisk/homepage

3) Yes

Try this:

System Preferences -> .Mac -> Sign Up.

You get a free 2 month trial. The webspace is restricted to 20mb and you don't get stuff like Backup and Anti-Virus, but otherwise it looks like all the things you want to use will work.

1) I've used it, it's alright.

2) 100mb on iDisk/homepage

3) Yes

Try this:

System Preferences -> .Mac -> Sign Up.

You get a free 2 month trial. The webspace is restricted to 20mb and you don't get stuff like Backup and Anti-Virus, but otherwise it looks like all the things you want to use will work.

Ya I already signed up for the trial, but I still don't see how to access my homepage by FTP.

The SpyMac services are slowly coming up. Mail works, and hosting works.

And you can access the "SpyDisk" via FTP or WebDAV.

I think SpyMac are offering a great service, but the only problem I see with it is it's free meaning; you get no support and no guarantees. This might be alright for some, but for me I need to know my data is safe, and I can get support 24x7.

Pretty much exactly what Danblash said. I don't really care how much it costs, I am looking for the best quality service. Personally I just don't trust spymac. On top of that, I don't really want a .spymac email address, I mean what is that? SpyMac? Sounds like I am in third grade. That would look great on a resume. (N)

so no FTP on .mac homepage?

Pretty much exactly what Danblash said. I don't really care how much it costs, I am looking for the best quality service. Personally I just don't trust spymac. On top of that, I don't really want a .spymac email address, I mean what is that? SpyMac? Sounds like I am in third grade. That would look great on a resume. (N)

so no FTP on .mac homepage?

Well, I do actually have an Exchange server, but it just isn't working out for me (god dammit Microsoft; make a decent program for once). I want to get a Linux box or another Mac running with a mail server, but I haven't had the time. For now, I'll use the free services Spymac offers.

You might want to consider Timdor's hosting service.

Everyone here speaks very highly of him and the price is very reasonable:

2gb of storage, access via FTP and WebDAV unlimited email accounts/etc.

php, sql, and all the other services you could want.

$5 for yourname.com

$60/year

If I wasn't contractually obligated to stay put I'd switch hosts in a second.

You might want to consider Timdor's hosting service.

Everyone here speaks very highly of him and the price is very reasonable:

2gb of storage, access via FTP and WebDAV unlimited email accounts/etc.

php, sql, and all the other services you could want.

$5 for yourname.com

$60/year

If I wasn't contractually obligated to stay put I'd switch hosts in a second.

You register the domaiin name though him?

No, you can register a domain name anywhere. His service is 2GB of space and I believe 50GB of bandwidth per month for $5. I am currently on it and its fantastic. I've never seen my site down since he transferred us to the new server (which was completely seemless, BTW).