Sign in to follow this  

Raspberry Pi Password Changed

Nashy    1,362

So I hate this little box, but I'm a nerd, so here I am.

I've just installed Gnome Schedule, rebooted, and now it won't accept pi and raspberry as the login.  Any idea why it's done this, how it's done it, and do I need to reflash the SD card to reinstall the OS?

xendrome    4,444

Probably reflash, did you try any other passwords you might have used? If you can get in to any type of command prompt try "passwd -a -p pi"

Mindovermaster    919

Try this:

Type in mount -o remount,rw / to mount the drive with write permissions.

then dpkg-reconfigure gdm3 (or lightm) and switch back to lightdm

Nashy    1,362
2 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Try this:

Type in mount -o remount,rw / to mount the drive with write permissions.

then dpkg-reconfigure gdm3 (or lightm) and switch back to lightdm

How can I do this without being able to login?

3 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Probably reflash, did you try any other passwords you might have used? If you can get in to any type of command prompt try "passwd -a -p pi"

I didn't change the password, but I tried all my regular passwords anyway, and it didn't work either.

This was fine earlier this morning, but since a reboot after Gnome Schedule, I couldn't login.

Also the Pi is running, as it's outputting antenna data.

+BudMan    2,921
10 hours ago, Nashy said:

but I'm a nerd

Clearly debatable... nerd wannabe maybe? ;)  If your gui wont let you in, can you ssh in?  Why would you not have changed the default login?  A real nerd would have a console cable for their pi ;)

My suggestion would be to just reflash to default OS, change the default password.  Make sure you have ssh enabled, and also create some other accounts other than pi on the box, etc.

• Like 2

Nashy    1,362
1 hour ago, BudMan said:

Clearly debatable... nerd wannabe maybe? ;)  If your gui wont let you in, can you ssh in?  Why would you not have changed the default login?  A real nerd would have a console cable for their pi ;)

My suggestion would be to just reflash to default OS, change the default password.  Make sure you have ssh enabled, and also create some other accounts other than pi on the box, etc.

We can run with wannabe or useless!

This is all via SSH on another machine.  I only got this up and running in the past few days, but now I'll need to re-flash.

+BudMan    2,921

so you can not ssh in... Is it running?  You get username and password prompt?  You using public key auth?  Why would a different gui have anything to do with your pi password or ssh?  They wouldn't - so maybe you just changed the password and forgot ;)

Back to the nerd debate.. Nerd would of posted some details ie that this was ssh from the get go.. And that you could ping pi, maybe its IP changed? etc. .etc...  Setup of public key removes the issue of changed password as well..

debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,password
debug1: Next authentication method: publickey
debug1: Offering ED25519 public key: /home/budman/.ssh/id_ed25519
debug1: Server accepts key: pkalg ssh-ed25519 blen 51
debug1: Authentication succeeded (publickey).
Authenticated to pi.local.lan ([192.168.3.31]:22).

So lets see the debug of your ssh connection attempt, etc.  That is what a nerd does ;) hehehe

As a King Nerd and Über Geek, you need to show some aptitude at this before you can be allowed to join our ranks ;) heheheeh

Also anyone that would say they hate this little box about their pi.. Yeah not a nerd ;)

Mindovermaster    919

That, Budman. Also, a nerd usually doesn't ask questions. They normally Google everything...

+BudMan    2,921

very true a true nerd normally has great googlefu ;)

• Like 1

+The Evil Overlord    17,750

Then what's the point of this website?

• Like 1

+BudMan    2,921

Discussion, debate, questions not well suited for searching for, advice, etc. etc.  Its a forum ;) 

Louisifer    631

But answers and advice are essentially the same thing, both can be wrong... or is this why half the questions you google have no answers on forums? :p 

• Like 1

Gotenks98    422

Did you ever get back into the Pi? I know for some distro's ssh is turned off by default. If your able to log in locally you could try logging in as root and then changing the password.

Mindovermaster    919
48 minutes ago, Gotenks98 said:

Did you ever get back into the Pi? I know for some distro's ssh is turned off by default. If your able to log in locally you could try logging in as root and then changing the password.

Well, being he didn't reply since July, I'm guessing he found out or just gave up.