Something up with Logins?

Went to Neowin like I usually do 10-15 times a day (hey, it's my favorite site on the Net) and I wasn't able to log in. Had to reset my password and everything. Any unusual stuff happening in this arena today? And yeah, I'm using Google Authenticator as an additional layer of security.

15 hours ago, Unobscured Vision said:

Went to Neowin like I usually do 10-15 times a day (hey, it's my favorite site on the Net) and I wasn't able to log in. Had to reset my password and everything. Any unusual stuff happening in this arena today? And yeah, I'm using Google Authenticator as an additional layer of security.

i get this from time to time and also use Google authenticator for 2FA.

If you try on the main page it just goes round in a loop but does not ask for your code. however, if you click the signup link then click log in as regged user it prompts you for the code after entering your username/pwd.

1 hour ago, Mando said:

i get this from time to time and also use Google authenticator for 2FA.

If you try on the main page it just goes round in a loop but does not ask for your code. however, if you click the signup link then click log in as regged user it prompts you for the code after entering your username/pwd.

I had to turn off 2FA because of that annoyance. Works like poo, it does. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Get Google Prompt.

27 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I agree, it is annoying that you cannot login to Neowin from the main page if you have 2FA enabled. You have to login via the forums.

9 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

I agree, it is annoying that you cannot login to Neowin from the main page if you have 2FA enabled. You have to login via the forums.

i only ever remember after about 10 attempts as i infrequently delete my web history in chrome....allowing chrome to remember my pwds and sync across my devices....eventually the penny drops and i remember the reason heheh, a small price to pay once in a blue moon.

BUGGER. I will make a bug about this, the login experience should be the same as the forums.

6 minutes ago, Mando said:

i only ever remember after about 10 attempts as i infrequently delete my web history in chrome....allowing chrome to remember my pwds and sync across my devices....eventually the penny drops and i remember the reason heheh, a small price to pay once in a blue moon.

58 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Get Google Prompt.

I don’t use my phone for anything 2FA if I don’t have to.  On top of that I don’t use my google account here. 

21 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

BUGGER. I will make a bug about this, the login experience should be the same as the forums.

Thank you. Maybe add support for OTP too? :D  Pretty please?

50 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Thank you. Maybe add support for OTP too? :D  Pretty please?

Well that should already work though with the Remember me option, in combination with allowing Neowin cookies.

I just want to know why one would use 2FA for Neowin. A little over kill anyone? I just use 2FA for important stuff like email, banking, etc.

20 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

I just want to know why one would use 2FA for Neowin. A little over kill anyone? I just use 2FA for important stuff like email, banking, etc.

I don’t want someone impersonating me for anything. So I go max security when possible. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I don’t want someone impersonating me for anything. So I go max security when possible. 

Yeah, I can care less if someone stole my Neowin account. I would probably be more popular around here. LOL

On an unrelated note, you indicted you use this identity other places so I looked up your username and checked out your Twitter account... You are much more anti-Apple there than I have ever noticed you being here. 

45 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

Yeah, I can care less if someone stole my Neowin account. I would probably be more popular around here. LOL

On an unrelated note, you indicted you use this identity other places so I looked up your username and checked out your Twitter account... You are much more anti-Apple there than I have ever noticed you being here. 

I’ve softened up over the years regarding Apple since I started mobile app development on the platform. ;) I used to be massively diehard Android. These days I just don’t care anymore. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steven P. said:

ill double check the detail later tonight mate, i log in using a hotmail address, aka legacy login with 2FA via google authenticator.

happy to submit a bug report.

51 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

aww fighter, I value you, and our healthy debates mate :) same with Adrynalyne. I appreciate both your matter of factness, a spades a spade with both of you. I value that in people.

i use 2FA on anything i can, regardless of value, id rather keep my logins and accounts secure, regardless of criticality, and tbh ive been with Neowin longer than any other site. Probably due to my line of work i take pride in keeping my data and my accounts as secure as they can be.

• Like 1

LOL would you believe it, its working perfectly fine now :D 

ok the issue WAS 

on main page, if logged out, clicking "sign in" would ask for my creds, id enter them click sign in...then page would refresh and go back to "sign in stage" no authenticator prompt would display. however if i went to the forums login page, the authenticator prompt would show and it would allow login.

2FA for something like neowin is just waste of time if you ask me.. As mentioned this is not a bank site or your email account that is used for recovery of website, etc... Use a unique secure password and you should be fine.  My neowin password is 20 character random.. Why should I also need 2FA?

And you do understand that if someone really wants your neowin account, what 2FA are you using?  Its it based upon SMS.. If so that was deprecated awhile ago as it is no longer considered secure.

https://pages.nist.gov/800-63-3/sp800-63b.html

I am on neowin too much to have to deal with 2FA every time I login ;)

Just my 2 cents, comes down to how tight your tin foil hat is and what other security practices you take.. While I agree with MFA depending on what your logging into - when it fails it sucks, and using it can be PITA.. For something like a forum site it just seems a bit over the top if you ask me.

A few years back the login in wasn't even via ssl.. I had brought this up back in 2013

2 hours ago, BudMan said:

2FA for something like neowin is just waste of time if you ask me.. As mentioned this is not a bank site or your email account that is used for recovery of website, etc... Use a unique secure password and you should be fine.  My neowin password is 20 character random.. Why should I also need 2FA?

And you do understand that if someone really wants your neowin account, what 2FA are you using?  Its it based upon SMS.. If so that was deprecated awhile ago as it is no longer considered secure.

https://pages.nist.gov/800-63-3/sp800-63b.html

I am on neowin too much to have to deal with 2FA every time I login ;)

Just my 2 cents, comes down to how tight your tin foil hat is and what other security practices you take.. While I agree with MFA depending on what your logging into - when it fails it sucks, and using it can be PITA.. For something like a forum site it just seems a bit over the top if you ask me.

A few years back the login in wasn't even via ssl.. I had brought this up back in 2013

i only ever need to use google authenticator 2FA for neowin whenever i delete my browsing history and cookies on home desktop and work laptop, nobody gets to log in my win profiles on either, so its once every couple of months max i need to do it. I saw it was avail so thought what the heck. :)