Old stuff you still use...

As the title says, what stuff do you have at home that's really old, but is still used? Can be anything, clothes, electronics, etc.

I have / use the following:

1. Egg beater - 36 years old. Amazingly, still works like new!

2. Levi's jeans - 18 years old

3. 5.1 channel speakers - 10 years old

4. Sony "boombox" music player - 20 years old

36 years old egg beater, how old are you ? :o

I have WD HDD 640GB 8 year old, thats the only oldest thing I have in use.

Ha ha, bought by my parents actually. :laugh:

I have it in my closet:

msnap7.jpg

I know it still works but needs the converter or something since my current TV doesn't have input for it.

Edited by TAZMINATOR
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, TAZMINATOR said:

I have it in my closet:

I know it still works but needs the converter or something since my current TV doesn't have input for it.

Very cool! :)

Microsoft Forefront Threat Management Gateway 2010. I've replaced the IPS functionality with a Cisco ISR but apart from that its still going strong as a network firewall and content filtering appliance. Cant see myself changing it any time soon its just too easy to use with too much functionality.

8 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

Very cool! :)

I posted the wrong image... i just replaced it..   I searched for an image for Atari 400 but i got 800 instead...   So I replaced it with 400.   Stupid Google.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

1. Egg beater - 36 years old. Amazingly, still works like new!

I take it old school hand crank one - and not electric?

Egg-Beaters-2.thumb.jpg.267aa5f84ed512eb48e46df2443ac612.jpg

You could prob hand that down to your Grand kids someday ;)

I have a t-shirt from Grateful Dead 30th anniversary concert, that I wore to their 50th - that is pretty old..  My grandkids play on the swingset I built for my kids.. Wood one - some yearly maint, replaced the tarp on top a few times over the years.  Replaced some of the rungs in the ladders - but still holding up.  My great grandkids might play on it ;)  That would be KOOL as ######!!!

But oldest thing in the house that I still use prob have to be the wife ;) hehehe

• Like 4

20 year old tea maker.  Believe that is the oldest piece of electronics I have.  Some shirts which I've had for 20+ years (high school shirts...haha).  They fit a little snug now though....must have shrunk. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BudMan said:

I take it old school hand crank one - and not electric?

You could prob hand that down to your Grand kids someday ;)

I have a t-shirt from Grateful Dead 30th anniversary concert, that I wore to their 50th - that is pretty old..  My grandkids play on the swingset I built for my kids.. Wood one - some yearly maint, replaced the tarp on top a few times over the years.  Replaced some of the rungs in the ladders - but still holding up.  My great grandkids might play on it ;)  That would be KOOL as ######!!!

But oldest thing in the house that I still use prob have to be the wife ;) hehehe

NICE!

No, it's electric, that's what really amazes me! I'll probably be going home tomorrow, will post a photo.

Wow, 20 year old t-shirt! :cool:(Y)

Wife...:D:rofl:

Depends on if you mean "use for fun" or "use for serious", but I have lots of old stuff that I still use.

Computers: Atari 800, TI-99/4a, Apple IIGS, and an IBM PC/XT

Consoles: Atari 2600, NES, Super Famicom, and a Sega Genesis

I have a Pioneer PL-990 turntable I bought back in the early 90s and still listen to occasionally, and a nice Mitsubishi HS-U748 VCR. Something I still make serious use of is my old Unitrex 1200M desktop calculator with an orange VFD display. I still have lots of old tools and stuff handed down from my parents and grandparents I use and there is stuff hanging in my closet from the 80s and 90s.

• Like 1

Forgot one...Fossil watch, 12 years old. Original battery lasted 8 years before dying out! Now I need to get one every 18 months or so.

Just now, Rigby said:

Depends on if you mean "use for fun" or "use for serious", but I have lots of old stuff that I still use.

Can be either, or both.

Awesome stuff! :cool:

2 hours ago, TAZMINATOR said:

I have it in my closet:

What you need is an RCA to Coax adapter like the picture below; then you can just hook it up to the cable input on your TV, or even better and highly recommended is to get a composite cable for it so it will work with any modern TV and have a better picture. :)

0000459_video-adapter-rca-female-to-f-type-male_400.jpeg

16 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

Awesome stuff! :cool:

Edited by Rigby

1 minute ago, Rigby said:

What you need is an RCA to Coax adapter like the picture below; then you can just hook it up to the cable input on your TV, or even better and recommended is to get a composite cable for it so it will work with any modern TV and have a much better picture.

0000459_video-adapter-rca-female-to-f-type-male_400.jpeg

I know but my TV doesn't have coax/cable input.  Only HDMI, VGA and composite inputs.   I am considering to get Xbox One TV tuner since it has coax input that can be plugged into Xbox's USB.  My movie box is using HDMI. 

6 minutes ago, TAZMINATOR said:

I know but my TV doesn't have coax/cable input.  Only HDMI, VGA and composite inputs.   I am considering to get Xbox One TV tuner since it has coax input that can be plugged into Xbox's USB.  My movie box is using HDMI. 

No coax/cable input? It's not a TV than but a monitor. Right?

10 minutes ago, TAZMINATOR said:

Interesting, I thought that all TVs still had cable inputs. Anyway I recommend just picking up a composite AV cable for it.

s-l1000.jpg

the older you get the tendency is to use stuff as long as it just works. if it works, it's good enough. hell, my mom still uses things in the kitchen that are from the 70s.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

No coax/cable input? it's not TV than but a monitor. Right?

It's a Plasma from Panasonic.   It's designed for home theater or professional applications.  

It doesn't have a tuner inside or built-in speakers. 

10 minutes ago, Rigby said:

Interesting, I thought that all TVs still had cable inputs. Anyway I recommend just picking up a composite AV cable for it.

s-l1000.jpg

Thanks. I will look into it and see what I can do.

Old stuff we still use. My wife, she is old and I still use her although if you ask her she will tell you she uses me.  :)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jason S. said:

the older you get the tendency is to use stuff as long as it just works. if it works, it's good enough. hell, my mom still uses things in the kitchen that are from the 70s.

Older stuff tends to be much better made and often lasts a lifetime. Today everything is cheap disposable junk from China.

• Like 3

Older stuff tends to be much better made and often lasts a lifetime. Today everything is cheap disposable junk from China.

yep! like going to your grandparents house, and theyre still using appliances from the 50s

Let's see .. there's the vintage Atari 7800 I picked up at Retrocon a few years ago and assembled the accessories for. And the  original 2600 games I play on it.

There's an afghan my grandmother knitted before I was born that is always on my bed, and an oval one she made specifically for me.

Yup.  

I like old cars which have head/leg room...   today's cars, not much.   I like those days better than today's.  

As you see, people are lazy these days...  nothing better than those old stuff in the past.

7 minutes ago, Jason S. said:

yep! like going to your grandparents house, and theyre still using appliances from the 50s

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  :p