Help me choose a laptop

As the title says, I need to order a new laptop but not sure which one of these I should choose. I don't like the touch bar so that's why those are not on my list if you're wondering

If I go with Lenovo I will install Arch on it, has anyone tested these with Linux on? If so how's the performance, battery, etc?

MacBooks are great, been using them for past 8/10 months now but still think Lenovo's keyboard are better plus I miss my favorite keyboard function INSERT, I shift+insert in terminal a lot.

Apple MacBook Pro with Retina display - 15.4" (if there was a newer version of this I would choose it without hesitation with more hdd, ram and newer intel generation)

16 GB RAM

512 GB

Intel Core i7 4:e gen. 2.2 GHz

Apple MacBook Pro with Retina display - 13.3"

16 GB RAM

512 GB flashlagring

Intel Core i7 7:e gen. 2.5 GHz

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon - 14"

16 GB RAM

1 TB SSD

Intel Core i7 7:e gen. 7500U / 2.7 GHz

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga - 14"

16 GB RAM

512 GB SSD

Intel Core i7 6:e gen. 6600U / 2.6 GHz

My Dad has a ThinkPad X1 Carbon, too. (that i got him for xmas) He's running Linux Mint 18.1 on it now (came with 10 on it). He loves it. So it should be good for Arch.

Well considering the specs, I wouldn't worry about performance running Linux.

I have run mint on plenty of Carbon X1, but previous gens.

As far as running Arch on the Lenovos, is it going to be in a VM or are you wiping WIndows ?  But it seems almost silly to wonder about performance of running a linux distro on something with a high performance SSD and a ton of RAM....

Thank for the replies.

Yeah, those Lenovo's are shipped with Windows 10. What does your dad think about the battery life under Mint?

I have used Arch on Carbon gen 2 and it was OK but battery life was horrible, though same laptop the battery on Windows 7 was great.

@T3X4S, I will be wiping Windows completely. But I am going to install Win on a VM as I need Visio for drawing network, that is the only thing I use in Windows.

I should have rephrased it in another way, what I meant was, how would the performance be when I run Win in a VM, is the laptop going to freeze and get hot, etc (mine does this now x1 Carbon gen 2). One more thing that I hate on Carbon is the trackpad, I think it is absolutely TERRIBLE.

My Dad never complained about the battery life, but he's on power most of the time...

Hello,

Lenovo's ThinkPad line tends to have broad Linux support.  For example, this page on Canonical's website list a bunch of Ubuntu-certified models, Red Hat has pages like this on their web site, and there's even this old page on Lenovo's support site.  There are several fairly active Linux-on-ThinkPad communities on the web, and there's also the Linux ThinkPad Wiki as well.  Between all of those, I suspect you won't have too much trouble getting Linux configured on a ThinkPad.  Keep in mind, though, that Lenovo's consumer laptops (IdeaPad, etc.) may not be as well-supported as the business-centric ThinkPads.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

What are your uses? 

For general purpose, the Dell Latitudes can usually be found for relatively low price on eBay or Dell outlet with good specs, especially if you're going refurbished