Recommend me an Android phone

I'm on the market for a new phone given my Nexus 5X just bit the dust due to the boot loop issue. I'm looking into repairs but with it being about 1year and 8 months old I'm not holding much hope.

I would have normally just gone straight to the Google Pixel but that's not far from becoming last years model, I think it's also suffering from boot loop issues and it's just got too damn expensive. My Nexus 4 was bought for around £270, the Nexus 5X was around £330 but jumping to £600 is just too far for me.

I don't think I'm fussy, I'm not after something with an amazing camera or the best processor. I would like something with a finger print scanner but if there is a good enough reason to give it a miss I'd consider. I've always gone Nexus because I liked the idea of not being held back by a manufacturer but I think I'll have to let that one slide. My biggest issue with the 5X was battery life so if there's something out there with a great battery then that would definitely be a winner.

Budget is £400

I've looked at the Lenovo P2 which seems to tick all the boxes but I'm really out of the loop on this so would be keen to get some other ideas before I take the plunge. 

• Like 2

Funny, I have more or less the same question, and I'm also looking at the Lenovo P2. It seems a lot of reviews give it two thumbs up for battery life.

3 hours ago, Skiver said:

I'm on the market for a new phone given my Nexus 5X just bit the dust due to the boot loop issue. I'm looking into repairs but with it being about 1year and 8 months old I'm not holding much hope.

I would have normally just gone straight to the Google Pixel but that's not far from becoming last years model, I think it's also suffering from boot loop issues and it's just got too damn expensive. My Nexus 4 was bought for around £270, the Nexus 5X was around £330 but jumping to £600 is just too far for me.

I don't think I'm fussy, I'm not after something with an amazing camera or the best processor. I would like something with a finger print scanner but if there is a good enough reason to give it a miss I'd consider. I've always gone Nexus because I liked the idea of not being held back by a manufacturer but I think I'll have to let that one slide. My biggest issue with the 5X was battery life so if there's something out there with a great battery then that would definitely be a winner.

Budget is £400

I've looked at the Lenovo P2 which seems to tick all the boxes but I'm really out of the loop on this so would be keen to get some other ideas before I take the plunge. 

Where did you buy the 5x at?  Google will do out of warranty swaps and I think I remember Amazon refunding money.

Just now, techbeck said:

Where did you buy the 5x at?  Google will do out of warranty swaps and I think I remember Amazon refunding money.

Carphone warehouse (UK High street store) :(

3 minutes ago, Skiver said:

Carphone warehouse (UK High street store) :(

Try getting in touch with Google. I had the boot loop issue with my G4, O2 refused at which point I contacted LG, who had a working handset returned to me within a two weeks. 

1 minute ago, dipsylalapo said:

Try getting in touch with Google. I had the boot loop issue with my G4, O2 refused at which point I contacted LG, who had a working handset returned to me within a two weeks. 

I did start to look into contacting Google but it seemed to suggest unless I bought it from them I had to go to LG. I've just tried contacting LG again as I got nothing back yesterday. I'll try google and see where I get

Just now, techbeck said:

Well, there is info on fixing the boot loop issue.

https://www.xda-developers.com/nexus-5x-bootloop-fix-boot-phone/

Unfortunately, my phone now won't even get to the google logo, just a red flashing light to say the battery is drained. Tried leaving it plugged into mains for hours and also tried a different cable plugged into my laptop.

5 minutes ago, Skiver said:

I did start to look into contacting Google but it seemed to suggest unless I bought it from them I had to go to LG. I've just tried contacting LG again as I got nothing back yesterday. I'll try google and see where I get

Unfortunately, my phone now won't even get to the google logo, just a red flashing light to say the battery is drained. Tried leaving it plugged into mains for hours and also tried a different cable plugged into my laptop.

Bummer.  Would try contacting LG as stated or even Google to see if the will replace it anyway.  Worst they can say is no.  Otherwise, I would pick up something cheap until the new phones come out in a couple months.

46 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Bummer.  Would try contacting LG as stated or even Google to see if the will replace it anyway.  Worst they can say is no.  Otherwise, I would pick up something cheap until the new phones come out in a couple months.

Google wouldn't help as I didn't purchase via them so that leaves me trying to chase LG. I've seen a few people comment on Reddit that LG was shocking in terms of getting back to people and it's hit or miss whether they actually agree to replace a device or not.

Hence why I'm probably going to cut my loss and buy a new device. The Nokia 6 looks interesting and is fairly comparable to the Lenovo P2. The OnePlus 5 has my interest but it's above my budget :(

Thanks for that recommendation, but there seem to be more reason not to go for that to overlook. The weight is insane, I'd be considering strapping that to my bike and the heavier it is the more likely it is to come off. It looks like it's only running Android 5.x? It pains me to move away from Nexus/Pixel as it is and the constant updates, I'd feel like I was going backwards!

On 8/3/2017 at 10:43 AM, Skiver said:

The P2 looks good but at almost a year old you might want to look for something newer, I agree that it ticks all the boxes though! Is there a 2017 model for it coming up?

1 minute ago, Steven P. said:

The P2 looks good but at almost a year old you might want to look for something newer, I agree that it ticks all the boxes though! Is there a 2017 model for it coming up?

That's one of the reasons I've not really gone for it. A quick search turns up nothing but Lenovo's own website seems to completely omit the phone from their list of phones as it is. It concerns me that they don't have a proper strategy when it comes to the smart phone market, unsure of whether to go under the Lenovo brand or the Motorola brand.

The OnePlus5 looks like a great option but I'm limited to £400 as a max budget and that comes with a price tag of £449. I'm considering dragging out the old Nexus 4 as long as possible in the hope that Googles new Pixel device comes in a lot cheaper OR a sale on the OnePlus5.

I finally got a response out of LG and they took some more details but I'm still not holding up much hope for them.

According to GSMArena comments the P2 will not get Android O but it is already upgradeable to 7 http://www.gsmarena.com/lenovo_p2-reviews-8319.php

I had a moto G4 Plus last year (not the same company?) and there are loads of "clean" Android roms for it, maybe for the P2 as well :) But I hear you on the age, nicest would be a newer one at around €300.

10 minutes ago, Skiver said:

The OnePlus5 looks like a great option but I'm limited to £400 as a max budget and that comes with a price tag of £449. I'm considering dragging out the old Nexus 4 as long as possible in the hope that Googles new Pixel device comes in a lot cheaper OR a sale on the OnePlus5.

Look into Moto Z they have dropped in price and have great specs.

Edit: Ehhh if you find a big battery important, maybe not

7 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Look into Moto Z they have dropped in price and have great specs.

Edit: Ehhh if you find a big battery important, maybe not

I'll take a look, I'm pretty sure there was an article on it a day or so ago.

Big Battery isn't really a must have, I found the 5X battery to start off fantastic but fell off very quickly.

31 minutes ago, Skiver said:

I'll take a look, I'm pretty sure there was an article on it a day or so ago.

Big Battery isn't really a must have, I found the 5X battery to start off fantastic but fell off very quickly.

Oh look! 

Urgh, so just when I thought I'd made up my mind and was going to go for the Motorola, Carphone Warehouse reduce the price on the Pixel to my budget.

It's taken me nearly a week to almost make my mind up and this curve ball is thrown in!

21 minutes ago, Skiver said:

Urgh, so just when I thought I'd made up my mind and was going to go for the Motorola, Carphone Warehouse reduce the price on the Pixel to my budget.

Sounds like they've answered the problem for you though, no? You weren't going to get the Pixel because of the price, but now it falls to within your budget. Granted it's now been a week of pointless thinking, but that doesn't matter. ;)

Will you get the Pixel, or has the time to think made you look around and consider something else (like the Motorola, for example)?

1 minute ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Oukitel K10000 pro

Blackview BV8000 pro

Nokia 8

There you go, made things nice and simple for you, no need to thank me, you're welcome :p

the first two... sorry but not :p

Nokia 8 isn't out for a while yet is it?

Just now, Nick H. said:

Sounds like they've answered the problem for you though, no? You weren't going to get the Pixel because of the price, but now it falls to within your budget. Granted it's now been a week of pointless thinking, but that doesn't matter.

Will you get the Pixel, or has the time to think made you look around and consider something else (like the Motorola, for example)?

They did, but I'd literally had a conversation with a guy at work (his misses has the same problematic phone and her refurb unit just broken 2 days in) that next time I buy a phone for myself I'm not going cheap with Carphone Warehouse and buying from manufacturer (he's had a better experience with Google over this issue because of that) and that I wouldn't buy the Pixel even if it was in budget as it's having the same issues.

Although it seems I'm wrong on the last part, I was under the impression that LG had manufacturer the Pixel but it's actually HTC. LG is supposedly doing the next Pixel though.

I've ordered the Pixel now, the fact it was the phone I would have bought in the first place unquestionably is now in the budget and I can actually pick it up tomorrow rather than waiting a week if I order the Moto today. 

• Like 3

Shame, unless you buy into the crap spouted by some, about mtk chips being the Antichrist. They're very capable devices, my k10k is pushing 15 months old, still goes a week before needing a recharge

ah edit, nevermind you already ordered, added spoilers for suggestions.