New York City 1993 recorded in HD on D-VHS.

+warwagon    9,551

Some of you may find this interesting. This is a Demo tape of D-VHS .. which is a digital signal recorded onto VHS tape... apparently, it held 25gb and 1080i. Anyway here is a Demo tape of New York City in 1993 recorded onto the format. While it said D-VHS came out in 1998 this may have been a demo in 1993? I dunno. Still some of the best looking 1993 footage i've ever seen.

• Like 7

neufuse    2,667

so the guy with what looked like a neo nazi SS symbol on it? didn't want to be recorded? lol yet wears a shirt like that in public.....

• Like 1

+Ely    178

Looks amazing and it's quite interesting watching this on an HDR 4K TV, doesn't look bad at all, beautiful shots of the Twin Towers etc, it's also interesting that they shot this in 16x9 aspect ratio when 4x3 was the standard back them, doesn't look cropped, thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Nefarious Trigger    6,597
3 hours ago, neufuse said:

so the guy with what looked like a neo nazi SS symbol on it? didn't want to be recorded? lol yet wears a shirt like that in public.....

It's this but in red...

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/295759900499412901/

+warwagon    9,551

To put in Perspective, it would be 1 more year before ER and Friends would premiere on TV. That year Jurassic Park was released in Theaters.

+Ely    178
1 hour ago, virtorio said:

If you're interested in the format, it's well worth checking out the full Techmoan video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiu0LPeLQPE&feature=youtu.be

Been subscribed to him for over a year, watched that video a while ago too. :-)

• Like 1

+T3X4S    4,268

Back when people looked forward when walking, and weren't looking down @ their phone.

• Like 2

dragontology    308

Why is this significant? Did we not have HD cameras back then? Sure, they weren't as common or as cheap back then. But this is not something that some guy made. This is professionally shot footage. It looks and feels like an advertisement for, what I assume, is a cinema camera.

Don't get me wrong, it's cool as hell, and outside movies, there probably isn't much HD footage of the 90s, but this is a professional video shot by people with professional video equipment.

On 8/5/2017 at 7:41 PM, Ely said:

Looks amazing and it's quite interesting watching this on an HDR 4K TV, doesn't look bad at all, beautiful shots of the Twin Towers etc, it's also interesting that they shot this in 16x9 aspect ratio when 4x3 was the standard back them, doesn't look cropped, thanks for sharing.

Babylon 5 started airing around that time (1994?) and shot in 16:9. JMS was way ahead of his time. He pitched the idea to Paramount, though this account is disputed. Paramount says they didn't steal the idea of Star Trek Deep Space Nine from him and any similarities are a coincidence. Anyway, they're both great shows, but today viewers choose between B5 which is 16:9 but has aged poorly and has cheap production otherwise, and DS9 which has aged rather well and is very professionally made, and yet it has the pillar boxes on the side because the studio insisted on 4:3.

• Like 1

InsaneNutter    921
On 8/8/2017 at 9:56 AM, dragontology said:

Why is this significant? Did we not have HD cameras back then? Sure, they weren't as common or as cheap back then. But this is not something that some guy made. This is professionally shot footage. It looks and feels like an advertisement for, what I assume, is a cinema camera.

Don't get me wrong, it's cool as hell, and outside movies, there probably isn't much HD footage of the 90s, but this is a professional video shot by people with professional video equipment.

I think you answered your own question there, most other general footage around that time looks more like this:

Even if you go forward 10 years later to 2003 it would be hard to find such good quality general footage.

Sure it was made to promote the D-Theate format, however why should that make it any less interesting? as you say it's very rare to see such good quality footage from 24 years ago that's not been re-mastered like movies and tv show's from that era have.

It's not really until the mid 2000's we started seeing affordable HD camcorders, even then these we're like £2500, so not something most people had. I remember my uncle got a HD Camcorder in 2005 that recorded to mini DV tape, seeing HD footage of our local area on a huge HDTV was pretty impressive back then.

• Like 1

TAZMINATOR    11,805
On 8/8/2017 at 4:56 AM, dragontology said:

Babylon 5 started airing around that time (1994?) and shot in 16:9. JMS was way ahead of his time. He pitched the idea to Paramount, though this account is disputed. Paramount says they didn't steal the idea of Star Trek Deep Space Nine from him and any similarities are a coincidence. Anyway, they're both great shows, but today viewers choose between B5 which is 16:9 but has aged poorly and has cheap production otherwise, and DS9 which has aged rather well and is very professionally made, and yet it has the pillar boxes on the side because the studio insisted on 4:3.

Some studios filmed the movies in 16:9 but when they were done with filming, they go to their office to edit, they could convert the film to 4:3 or whatever for the old CRT TVs back in the day.  Depends on programming or editing program before releasing.  Don't forget that they could have the originals stored somewhere in case they want to remaster them for future showings for modern TVs.

Some old shows were shown in 4:3 with black bars if you have modern TVs ..   No black bars on the old CRT TVs ..   If showing in 16:9 then you'd get black bars (top and bottom) on modern TVs depends on the resolution or film format (such as 16:9, 4:3, 21:9, something like that).  Some TVs let you put it in full mode on your remote.    

I saw an article in between 2006 and 2008 (I don't remember which year) that the TV company made widescreen TV for movies which you won't see the black bars in it at all. 

• Like 1

Jason S.    1,231
On 8/8/2017 at 4:56 AM, dragontology said:

Why is this significant? Did we not have HD cameras back then?

i'd be curious to know when HD cameras were developed. Seeing HD footage from 1993 is a pretty rare thing...

kalkal    399
Posted (edited)

Saw this a while back and I find it very surreal, the poor quality of your average footage from previous time periods can somehow emphasise just how distant the place and people were, as the quality and age digresses, it makes times past almost feel lost to time, like they didn't really happen almost.

Suddenly drop someone from 1993 in relatively crystal clear footage and it all feels more connected and real somehow :)  (Same goes for those colour photos from the late 1800s imo)

• Like 1

quikmantx    71

Thanks for sharing. It is surreal to get a glimpse of what life was like back then in higher quality format.