The Keyboard Typing Poll

The Typing Poll  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Do you know how to type?

• Yes
    • I'm a 1 finger typer
    • I'm a 2 finger typer
    • I'm a multi finger typing but I'm not a full fledged typer.
  2. 2. Do you have to look at your hands when you type?

• Yes
    • No (Only referring to the keys with letters)
    • Somtimes
    • I can't type
  3. 3. How many people do you know that can't type?

• Everyone I know can't type
    • A lot
    • In between a lot and a few
    • A few
    • Everyone I know can type
  4. 4. Do you think typing is something that should be still taught in schools?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

I learned how to type on a typewriter in Jr High School.  Typing is a must these days so should be taught.  My dad still pecks a round with his index fingers when typing and I know a lot that do the same thing.  I normally do not look at the KB unless I am doing symbols/numbers.

1 minute ago, techbeck said:

I learned how to type on a typewriter in Jr High School.  Typing is a must these days so should be taught.  My dad still pecks a round with his index fingers when typing and I know a lot that do the same thing.  I normally do not look at the KB unless I am doing symbols/numbers.

I agree. I heard they aren't teaching typing in schools anymore, I wonder if that's true or not.

I never took a formal typing class, possibly because there wasn't one by the time I would of been offered it in school. I basically learned a comfortable style on my own, all the way back when I was a toddler, and 30 years later I don't give the way I type a second thought. No longer needed to look at the keys by the time I was 9 or 10.

5 minutes ago, warwagon said:

I agree. I heard they aren't teaching typing in schools anymore, I wonder if that's true or not.

I don't know.  Only reason why I would think they wouldnt be teaching it anymore and really everyone types on a KB or phone ever day.  So they should know what the key layout is. So maybe schools think they already know how to type. 

1 minute ago, techbeck said:

I don't know.  Only reason why I would think they wouldnt be teaching it anymore and really everyone types on a KB or phone ever day.  So they should know what the key layout is. So maybe schools think they already know how to type. 

That's my thinking too, but that doesn't really set them up for life at a job out side of school which requires a computer and typing. Schools are probably getting so dumb that they think thumbing on a touch screen is the same thing as typing on an actual computer keyboard.

3 minutes ago, shockz said:

I never took a formal typing class, possibly because there wasn't one by the time I would of been offered it in school. I basically learned a comfortable style on my own, all the way back when I was a toddler, and 30 years later I don't give the way I type a second thought. No longer needed to look at the keys by the time I was 9 or 10.

I basically learned on my own as well.  The class I took 25 years ago or so was just basic and I still couldnt type after.  Only when I started getting in to computers that I got good at it.  And I often do not use copy/paste and type things out to keep in the habit of typing.  If I am in a hurry, I copy/paste a lot.

1 minute ago, warwagon said:

That's my thinking too, but that doesn't really set them up for life at a job out side of school which requires a computer and typing.

Maybe schools think since typing is everywhere now, they will know how to type after school.   I am surprised they do not teach cursive writing anymore more so than typing.

2 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Schools are probably getting so dumb that they think thumbing on a touch screen is the same thing as typing on an actual computer keyboard.

Well, way things are progressing, may be touch screen for most things in the future.

15 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Damn, this sub forum is a ghost town!

FTFY

Also, would like to know, who uses anything other than QWERTY

2 minutes ago, techbeck said:

I am surprised they do not teach cursive writing anymore more so than typing.

This still blows my mind... starting to see signatures that are literally printed it out on documents from younger people. 

5 minutes ago, shockz said:

This still blows my mind... starting to see signatures that are literally printed it out on documents from younger people. 

I have no love for cursive, I always hated it.

6 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

FTFY

Isn't the Poll Station a sub forum of General Discussion?

Capture.JPG

I can type without looking at the keyboard (with multiple fingers.) I've surprised my colleagues numerous times when they have approached me to ask a question and I've looked at them and responded while still typing away. That's probably the strangest thing, that they still need to look at the keyboard in order to type. We work in IT, we should know this!

I think most regular users that I know cannot type without looking at the keyboard. That's a little more understandable, but with computers being a part of everyone's daily life it really is a skill that should be taught.

Heh, I remember my dad using a computer back in the day. He could type really quickly but he always used his index fingers. :laugh:

8 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

FTFY

I use QWERTZ. The one that really baffles me though is AZERTY. If I connect to a user's machine and they have AZERTY enabled I need to ask them to do the typing.

4 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

I can type without looking at the keyboard (with multiple fingers.) I've surprised my colleagues numerous times when they have approached me to ask a question and I've looked at them and responded while still typing away. That's probably the strangest thing, that they still need to look at the keyboard in order to type. We work in IT, we should know this!

I think most regular users that I know cannot type without looking at the keyboard. That's a little more understandable, but with computers being a part of everyone's daily life it really is a skill that should be taught.

Heh, I remember my dad using a computer back in the day. He could type really quickly but he always used his index fingers. :laugh:

I use QWERTZ. The one that really baffles me though is AZERTY. If I connect to a user's machine and they have AZERTY enabled I need to ask them to do the typing.

What would they do if they sat down and had to use this ...  :laugh:

41g2K2DLn3L._SX466_.jpg

I never have to look at the keyboard but I mostly type with 4 fingers (5 if you count thumb for spacebar) rather than the 'real' touch typing method. I often think about learning the proper way but I can already type at 80wpm so I never end up bothering :p. I definitely think it's something that should be taught at school though. 

Just now, Nick H. said:

I can type without looking at the keyboard (with multiple fingers.) I've surprised my colleagues numerous times when they have approached me to ask a question and I've looked at them and responded while still typing away.

Ive had the same reactions.  Also, I am so quick with KB shortcuts and a mouse and when people see me whipping through screens, they cannot understand how I do that.

Just now, techbeck said:

You happy now?  :p

Yes, now lets get the password poll right below this one moving too :)

touch typer here, the only time I have an issue is on a keyboard i'm not used to, and that's only for a few minutes at worst

I type with all fingers, but certain keys are used by certain fingers.  The left shift key is usually used by my left little finger.  This is the only key this finger uses.  But then my travel for my right hand is quite far.  I'll use my right index finger to use the C button, but not all the time.

If typing names with repeating characters, like "Peter", my left hand will travel to the T, but when typing normally, my left hand presses T.  Similar is "Never" where my left hand will stay at E so my left hand has to come over and use the V.  But when typing normally, I'd use my left hand for V.  Sometimes if it's holding the shift button down, I use either my left or right hand for the V button.

Never really thought about it before.

1 hour ago, warwagon said:

I have no love for cursive, I always hated it.

Isn't the Poll Station a sub forum of General Discussion?

Capture.JPG

:shifty: oh oh you meant as sub forum of a forum, while I meant forum for forum

1 hour ago, Nick H. said:

these baffle me: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#Non-QWERTY-based_Latin-script_keyboard_layouts!

Basically anything not having WERT :p  

Before I got into typing, I used 1 finger a time, now I type with many fingers without looking. 

I type with my thumbs for smartphones...  sometimes with one thumb when I am holding something such as beer, keys, etc.

If you are typing with 2 fingers, you will end up type with rest of the fingers before you know it.    Then you will realize that and say "Wow, I can type with my all fingers, I used to type with 2 fingers before."  If you are working on the computer such as newspaper company, programming, etc.

All you do is remember the letters layout and those letters go to your specific finger  wherever that finger reach in that area.