Would I need to change CPU to get better FPS?

8 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

I wouldn't agree with that.

Eight-cores Ryzen 7 1700 for $269.99 is pretty affordable

Lap didn't say it's too expensive...

On 8/22/2017 at 11:44 AM, Mockingbird said:

The crypto-miner are buying the Geforce GTX 1070.

Geforce GTX 1070 is apparently better than Geforce GTX 1080 at mining because the former uses GDDR5 while the latter uses GDDR5X.

GDDR5X has higher latency than GDDR5 which is apparently worse for mining. (I am not a crypto miner. Correct me if I am wrong.)

If you can sell your Geforce GTX 1070 at a decent price and get a Geforce GTX 1080, you should absolutely do that.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You are getting confused because some of the other users are providing you with incorrect information.

Anyway, you already made a good build list that I've helped looked over.

Cryptominers are purchasing the GTX 1070 and lower (and their AMD equivalents) - it actually forced me into a one-month stall on my own purchase of a GTX 1050Ti (due to stock shortages and jacked-up pricing @ Amazon.com); however, I DID make that purchase, and have seen performance increases in all my games as a result AND I've been able to add new games to the rota.  You are coming FROM a GTX 1070 - which was likely bought by such a miner; you only have three real options (none of which will be much in demand by miners) - GTX 1080, GTX 1080TI, or a Pascal-GPU version of the Titan - as far as the GPU goes; for a CPU, you have either an i5K or i7K, the last upgrade option would be, naturally, an SSD of the 512GB, 1TB, or 2TB size; none of those options are cheap - however, all of them make sense considering where you are today.

6 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

Cryptominers are purchasing the GTX 1070 and lower (and their AMD equivalents) - it actually forced me into a one-month stall on my own purchase of a GTX 1050Ti (due to stock shortages and jacked-up pricing @ Amazon.com); however, I DID make that purchase, and have seen performance increases in all my games as a result AND I've been able to add new games to the rota.  You are coming FROM a GTX 1070 - which was likely bought by such a miner; you only have three real options (none of which will be much in demand by miners) - GTX 1080, GTX 1080TI, or a Pascal-GPU version of the Titan - as far as the GPU goes; for a CPU, you have either an i5K or i7K, the last upgrade option would be, naturally, an SSD of the 512GB, 1TB, or 2TB size; none of those options are cheap - however, all of them make sense considering where you are today.

I bought a Radeon RX 480 for $134.99 and sold it for $349.99.

I then bought a Geforce GTX 1070 for $329.99 right before the price skyrocketed to ~$450.

After that, I tried to get Geforce GTX 1080 for ~$400, but no luck after the prices went up.

4 hours ago, WildWayz said:

I've ordered a EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC2 GAMING Graphics Card - with Destiny 2 free. Arrives tomorrow... :D

Enjoy your liberated 4K gaming experience!

Lets just put that crazy CPU bottleneck illogical thinking to bed as no matter how you measure it, your 1080ti will be far faster at 4K than your 1070.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Lets just put that crazy CPU bottleneck illogical thinking to bed as no matter how you measure it, your 1080ti will be far faster at 4K than your 1070.

This. Let's be done with this...

10 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

I said this before. GPU is your top competitor, not your CPU, RAM, SSD. Thanks for bringing that up. :)

I can't tell if your "Thanks for bringing that up" was sarcastic or not since it has been the main talking point back and forth across this entire thread, although Jason S. has presented the case for GPU dominance in a very clear, concise and well written manner.

1 minute ago, DevTech said:

I can't tell if your "Thanks for bringing that up" was sarcastic or not since it has been the main talking point back and forth across this entire thread, although Jason S. has presented the case for GPU dominance in a very clear, concise and well written manner.

I think in page 1 or 2, I said that the GPU matters for gaming. 4G at that...

1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

I think in page 1 or 2, I said that the GPU matters for gaming. 4G at that...

Yeah, I think you were basically complementing Jason S. on the clarity of his summary.

I was really straining to describe something which seemed so self-evident it should not have needed any explanation and I think my word factory to assemble a coherent explanation came up short.

The Division - set to 4K Ultra - everything left on ultra preset other than vsync off.

Benchmark on stock gpu clockings:

Average FPS: 54.4

Typical FPS: 55.1

Average CPU: 67%

Average GPU: 98%

Sound ok?

OP - i dont have any reference here as my cards are 5yrs old now. your fps seems about right given the new GPU and running games at 4k w/ all these fancy Ultra settings.

i would compare to some other benchmark site... off the top of my head, check out guru3d.com

if anything is really struggling at 4k, then try turning down a single setting at a time and see if you get a nice boost. there are some settings that you'll never know the difference in quality. there's a myriad of AA settings these days... try all of them!

Thanks Jason - looks pretty much spot on for the results. As you said, disable things and whammo - will be able to get a solid 60fps :)

One thing that did bug me... on the 1070, i created a custom 1440p 60hz resolution which worked perfectly. Tried it with this card and I get a blank screen.

Probably doing something wrong...

I'm getting a Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD tomorrow as well as a Seagate BarraCuda 4TB. 

I'll leave my current 128GB SSD as the OS drive (but will re-format and reinstall Windows 10), put the Samsung EVO 1TB as a gaming drive for most played games, then the BarraCuda as an overspill for less demanding games / other files such as music / My Documents etc
The 2 old drives (3TB and 2TB) i'm putting them in external USB3 cases - to go with the USB3 2TB drive I also have... DAMN that is a lot of storage... 12TB of storage!

1 hour ago, RoyRicci said:

First, ensure your power supply, you'll need extra wattage for 4K 60fps. Second, water cooling for sure.

Lastly, it should be a 1080Ti that fits for the job. ;)

Hehe thanks :)

Got a 750 Corsair 80 PSU. And a 1080Ti.

Also put a 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD in the PC... But forgot that I have SATAII NOT SATAII. Doh... So I deffo need the motherboard, CPU and ram replacing. Waiting on the i8...

On 8/30/2017 at 6:38 AM, WildWayz said:

I'm getting a Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD tomorrow as well as a Seagate BarraCuda 4TB. 

I'll leave my current 128GB SSD as the OS drive (but will re-format and reinstall Windows 10), put the Samsung EVO 1TB as a gaming drive for most played games, then the BarraCuda as an overspill for less demanding games / other files such as music / My Documents etc
The 2 old drives (3TB and 2TB) i'm putting them in external USB3 cases - to go with the USB3 2TB drive I also have... DAMN that is a lot of storage... 12TB of storage!

You should make the Samsung 850 the Windows boot and also the Game drive. Since it is SSD, and much faster than the old one, there will bee no penalty by combining the functions to gain speed in both areas.

Then either use the 128g SSD for more games or else stuff it in an old laptop or desktop to give something old a new life.

3 hours ago, WildWayz said:

Hehe thanks :)

Got a 750 Corsair 80 PSU. And a 1080Ti.

Also put a 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD in the PC... But forgot that I have SATAII NOT SATAII. Doh... So I deffo need the motherboard, CPU and ram replacing. Waiting on the i8...

SATA speed not all that important compared to Random Access of drive. Fast transfer across the wire will only help some type of level loading, gigabyte disk copies, and Video editing.

Right now, you have maximized the performance per dollar to get great value. Next up, is the law of diminishing returns...

@WildWayz

As I said before, you need to stop listening to DevTech since he clearly don't know what he is talking about.

SSDs are not relevant to games except for loading time.

Also, all chipsets for Sandy Bridge and later Intel processors support SATA III.

What are important to games are: video cards, processors, and memory (no more than 16GB).

You can run games from plain old mechanical hard drive just fine.

Edited by Mockingbird
  • Like 2
  • Dislike 1

TBH I know SSD won't impact gfx performance. Mainly got it for loading textures faster. Still didn't help getting stutters in Wildlands when it autosaves.... But I am putting Wildlands in the "garbage" pile for optimisation