Would I need to change CPU to get better FPS?

On 9/7/2017 at 11:23 AM, WildWayz said:

TBH I know SSD won't impact gfx performance. Mainly got it for loading textures faster. Still didn't help getting stutters in Wildlands when it autosaves.... But I am putting Wildlands in the "garbage" pile for optimisation

Good grief.

I have never said that a SSD directly affected Game Graphics.

I strongly suggested a large enough SSD as one of the items that could easily be upgraded to improve the system before considering a complete rebuild and that advice is totally appropriate and correct.

And talk about contorting logic with statements like "SSD will only improve game load time" as if that is a negative!  That sort of translates to "Real Men use spinning hard drives and like it" - I will take faster system performance and level loading any day of the week as a big plus!

Solving computer issues can be quite complex, but sometimes, some things are easy. The SSD revolution was one of those things.

Stutters while saving relates to the write performance of the SSD drive which can really vary a lot. Most SSD's are designed for "mostly read" usage and special attention needs to be given to selecting drives when you need something write worthy.

31 minutes ago, DevTech said:

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-admits-to-gaming-performance-issues-in-windows-10-creators-update

Creator's Update causes stuttering in some games on some computers...

"some computers" What does that necissarily mean? doesn't really say exactly what...

2 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

"some computers" What does that necissarily mean? doesn't really say exactly what...

I think it is just one of many potential causes of stuttering, and the Fall Update is so close now that this particular vector is about to get wiped off the planet. If you have stuttering and it vanishes after the update, at least it won't be mysterious.

• 2 weeks later...

I was so close to pulling the trigger on a Ryzen 1700 + ASRock mobo and 16GB of ram this week....

then Intel announced their Coffee Lake CPU is being released on October 5th lol

I'm still hesitant to buy the AMD simply because of the drastic inconsistency of performance in games... some games are better, some are massively worse. I don't like the idea of each game developer has to release a patch to utilize the AMD architecture...

BUT Intel have changed the chipset so a new mobo is needed for Coffee Lake... then next year, when the 8 core CPUs are released, it will need another new motherboard so maybe it is best off waiting a bit longer?

35 minutes ago, WildWayz said:

I was so close to pulling the trigger on a Ryzen 1700 + ASRock mobo and 16GB of ram this week....

then Intel announced their Coffee Lake CPU is being released on October 5th lol

I'm still hesitant to buy the AMD simply because of the drastic inconsistency of performance in games... some games are better, some are massively worse. I don't like the idea of each game developer has to release a patch to utilize the AMD architecture...

BUT Intel have changed the chipset so a new mobo is needed for Coffee Lake... then next year, when the 8 core CPUs are released, it will need another new motherboard so maybe it is best off waiting a bit longer?

Coffee Lake is really expensive though.

Core i7-8700K is $359, but only if you buy 1000 units.

If you buy just one unit, you are looking at close to $400.

Also, going forward, new games should be optimized for Zen/Ryzen right out of the box.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT: I forget that you are from the UK.

So you are looking at £353.86 for the Core i7-8700K

Edited by Mockingbird

6 minutes ago, WildWayz said:

Hmmmm

Only £20 difference between the 1700 and 1700X - should I go for the X?

The 1700 scores 13,790 and the 1700X scores 14,636 on CPU Benchmark. Depends if you want that extra performance. For gaming it will be negligible, maybe even no difference at all.

18 minutes ago, WildWayz said:

Hmmmm

Only £20 difference between the 1700 and 1700X - should I go for the X?

The difference is the binning and the stock clock.

Unlike Intel, AMD didn't lock any of the Ryzen processors.

If you are planning to overclock, then the stock clock doesn't matter.

Ryzen 7 1700X should be able overclock higher than Ryzen 7 1700 because of the better binning.

Whether that is worth it is up to you.

I bit the bullet and went for it!! I had to change the CPU cooler - too faffy contacting the manufacturer, sending a copy of my purchase and receiving the bracket a few weeks later :/ 
I had the Corsair H60 v1 on my current setup - probably could have re-used it, but no bracket - plus may as well whack a new one in it. I can sell the old mobo, ram, cpu and AIO as a bundle.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor  (£285.54 @ Aria PC) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£56.81 @ Amazon UK) 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste  (£6.49 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£81.86 @ Novatech) 
Memory: Team - Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£119.50 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Total: £550.20
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-25 12:20 BST+0100

14 minutes ago, WildWayz said:

I bit the bullet and went for it!! I had to change the CPU cooler - too faffy contacting the manufacturer, sending a copy of my purchase and receiving the bracket a few weeks later :/ 
I had the Corsair H60 v1 on my current setup - probably could have re-used it, but no bracket - plus may as well whack a new one in it. I can sell the old mobo, ram, cpu and AIO as a bundle.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor  (£285.54 @ Aria PC) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£56.81 @ Amazon UK) 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste  (£6.49 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£81.86 @ Novatech) 
Memory: Team - Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£119.50 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Total: £550.20
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-25 12:20 BST+0100

Would you post images of your build when you are done?

21 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Would you post images of your build when you are done?

heehee sure... but it is boring... I am not one for fancy LEDs or light up liquid tubes :D
I'm old school... whack it in and don't care if it looks pretty - no cable management :p
I DO air dust it though lol

2 hours ago, WildWayz said:

heehee sure... but it is boring... I am not one for fancy LEDs or light up liquid tubes :D
I'm old school... whack it in and don't care if it looks pretty - no cable management :p
I DO air dust it though lol

No problem. My own computer isn't too fancy either.

I use a $10 case that I bought from a garage sale.

2 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Might wanna dust that thing....

LOL yeah good point... Gotta take it apart again and replace a fan that is rattling on boot (did it prior but think it is the front case fan)... Will microfibre it then...

7 hours ago, WildWayz said:

Here it is!

Told you it was boring ;)

Firestrike 1.1 score - 18,249 - https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/22384450?

CPU isn't overclocked - ram is clocked to 2660Mhz - 299xmhz causes the board to not post. Not tried others...

IMG_20170927_202924.jpg

Sooo dusty...

It needs some dusting!

How did that Geforce GTX 1080 Ti gets so dusty?

I thought you just bought it a month ago.

Also, that memory should be able to run at 2933 MHz, at least.

You might need to update the BIOS.

Do not update the BIOS from inside Windows or you risk bricking the motherboard.

I updated the bios straight away. :)

As for the dust... Our old house was from the 1880s and was on a main road, so the dust was bad. New house isn't... But 2 dogs and 2 long haired adults probably doesn't help.

Also the man cave is still dusty from the full rewire we had done (the black ash/plaster is everywhere). 

Think I need some dust filters...

10 hours ago, WildWayz said:

Here it is!

Told you it was boring ;)

Firestrike 1.1 score - 18,249 - https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/22384450?

CPU isn't overclocked - ram is clocked to 2660Mhz - 299xmhz causes the board to not post. Not tried others...

IMG_20170927_202924.jpg

Congrats:

b/w: you got gaming chair :D cool, I am planning to buy one.

30 minutes ago, Xahid said:

Congrats:

b/w: you got gaming chair :D cool, I am planning to buy one.

Ha TBH it was a £90 one ;) I never use it as I use the sofa ;) pc is connected to the 4K tv