Full size ad that the will not close

On 8/13/2017 at 2:11 AM, jnelsoninjax said:

While browsing the front page story about the ad blocking I get this ad which blocks some of the comments

Screenshot_2017-08-12-20-07-12.thumb.png.d5c5ddf330fbe5fd86bbfb91c81559f6.png

I just got a reply.. I didn't think we utilized ads like these, seems the client (not our advertiser) changed the ad type, it has since been disabled and our advertiser has contacted the client.

Here's the reply:

Good Day Steven, 
This isn't a unit that we currently support, but I have just found the issue that is causing the problem. It looks like a campaign creative tag was changed on the client's side from a standard 300x250 to a larger interstitial type advertisement. The creative has been paused until the client resolves the issue. Please let me know if you need anything further.

Best Regards, 
Raymundo

• Like 3

Yeah I can see that (takes almost all the screen) :/  but I am glad they handled it quickly (from the time I sent the report). Thanks for passing this stuff to me, it really helps :)

Isn't it beholden on the advertiser to make sure this could not happen ?

I'm not surprised more and more people are blocking adverts if policing them is left to the advertisers client or the end user.

22 minutes ago, Depicus said:

Isn't it beholden on the advertiser to make sure this could not happen ?

I'm not surprised more and more people are blocking adverts if policing them is left to the advertisers client or the end user.

You are right, unfortunately this looks too similar to when Google approves an ad, and then the client throws in a redirector (which still plagues mobile more than the desktop). There are Google support requests from years ago on this matter and it seems that it's something that still hasn't been taken care of. And I agree, bad behavior by some advertisers and/or their clients ruins it for everyone.  

I added this to the support ticket: "Just a quick follow up to this, maybe a dev should build in a way for ads to be flagged (for you guys, on your end) when their type is changed by the client? Or even require a new approval. If only to avoid more people turning to ad blockers"