WiFi doesn't have a valid IP Configuration problem

cosrocket    3

A friends laptop was having issues so I checked it out for him. There were all kinds of expired anti virus messages from McAfee and Webroot so I deleted them and rebooted. When Windows 10 came back up I noticed there was the yellow triangle on the wireless network icon and there was no network connection.

I did all kinds of things to try and get it back, IP Config Release and Renew, reset Winsock, uninstalled the wireless network adapter but nothing is working. I don't know if this could have anything to do with it but I noticed the wifi profile is public not private. I tried to set it to a private network to see if that would possibly make a difference but I cannot see where to make that change.

Anyone have any other ideas other than setting a static IP address? Thanks.

adrynalyne    7,555
Posted (edited)

Update the adapter driver. Try rebooting the wifi AP. Try a different channel. 

CrossCheck    145

is it showing a 169.254.XXX.XXX ip address?  Are you opening cmd.exe as administrator? if you are not running the command prompt as administrator, ipconfig /release and netsh winsock reset won't work.

in windows 8/10 follow steps above.

1. right click start button icon

2. select run

3. type cmd.exe then ctrl+shift+enter. that should bring up the UAC dialog box. This will open up the command prompt as administrator.

4. run ipconfig /release

5. run netsh winsock reset

6. run netsh int ip/

7. reboot pc.

Also try rebooting the router you are trying to connect to as well.

Hopefully this works for you

jnelsoninjax    7,816
10 hours ago, cosrocket said:

A friends laptop was having issues so I checked it out for him. There were all kinds of expired anti virus messages from McAfee and Webroot so I deleted them and rebooted. When Windows 10 came back up I noticed there was the yellow triangle on the wireless network icon and there was no network connection.

I did all kinds of things to try and get it back, IP Config Release and Renew, reset Winsock, uninstalled the wireless network adapter but nothing is working. I don't know if this could have anything to do with it but I noticed the wifi profile is public not private. I tried to set it to a private network to see if that would possibly make a difference but I cannot see where to make that change.

Anyone have any other ideas other than setting a static IP address? Thanks.

Does it work plugged into Ethernet? Also worth trying would be running sfc/scannow from an elevated command prompt.

+goretsky    651

Hello,

I'm guessing the previously-installed anti-malware software made some change to the network settings which wasn't rolled back when you removed them.

Click on the Start Button and search for "Network Reset" and launch that.  That will run a wizard which restores all network drivers and values to the original settings.  After that, see if networking works as it should.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

StrikedOut    122

Can you post your output for ipconfig /all. What make and model is the laptop?