8 posts in this topic

Hi all, 

I've been working with Adobe Illustrator in the past mainly for complex shapes used later in PS..nice tool for such request. Since 2017, I've started working with a Wacom tablet. All seems to be nice, started discovering new brush tricks but as long as I won't go far away with complexity. What I mean is that..after the shapes increase in terms of number and complexity the software (CC 2017) becomes slow and useless.It doesn't have rotate-canvas, pretty useful feature but I can live with it. I haven't tried yet Corel Painter, maybe someone can give me a feedback regarding my worries or any other thoughts.

Thanks a lot.

My system

Core i7 4770

8 Gb RAM

GTX 660 (192-bit)

35 minutes ago, Cosmin said:

Hi all, 

I've been working with Adobe Illustrator in the past mainly for complex shapes used later in PS..nice tool for such request. Since 2017, I've started working with a Wacom tablet. All seems to be nice, started discovering new brush tricks but as long as I won't go far away with complexity. What I mean is that..after the shapes increase in terms of number and complexity the software (CC 2017) becomes slow and useless.It doesn't have rotate-canvas, pretty useful feature but I can live with it. I haven't tried yet Corel Painter, maybe someone can give me a feedback regarding my worries or any other thoughts.

Thanks a lot.

My system

Core i7 4770

8 Gb RAM

GTX 660 (192-bit)

Photoshop does have rotate canvas.     You have to look up on how to do so.  

Take a look here: http://www.photoshopforphotographers.com/CC_2013/Help_guide/tp/Rotate_tool.html

Anyway, there are many apps based on your needs and your system configuration.   Adobe CC is heavy RAM usage which could slow down depends on how much RAM you have.  If you have lot of RAM, you should be okay.

GIMP  may work fro you for low ram systems like yours.  And it's free. 

Paint.NET works as well.  It's free.

I haven't tried Corel lately except their old versions about 20 years ago.

Edit: I have added link to paint.net

Edited by TAZMINATOR
  • Like 1

Isn't PhotoShop more suited for raster work?

Scaling is one of the main benefits when working with vector in Illustrator. Even so.. highly experienced painters such as Patrick Lamontagne or Aaron Blaise use Ps.. they probably have a solid reason for this.

Also smooth path is another big plus! over ps :\

Are those free solution a real competition for paid products?

curves+using+pen+tool+final.jpg

Edited by Cosmin

43 minutes ago, Cosmin said:

Are those free solution a real competition for paid products?

Some are, some aren't but you can switch around ...  I mean you can paint in Illustrator then edit in Paint.NET, etc..  something like that.  That's what I do. 

You can check them out and see if you find the features you like in any editors, no matter if paid or free versions. If you like the features in any of those editors, keep them.  I am sure your wacom tablet works with those editors.

paint in Illustrator then edit in Paint.NET, etc..  something like that.  That's what I do.

main reason (benefits) for this workflow? 

28 minutes ago, Cosmin said:

main reason (benefits) for this workflow? 

Features. You know what to do with the specific editors or the features in them.