Drunk American beaten up by passer-by after performing multiple Nazi salutes in German city, police say

Police say a drunken American man was punched by a passer-by as he gave the stiff-armed Nazi salute multiple times in downtown Dresden.

Dresden police said Sunday the 41-year-old, whose name and hometown weren’t given for privacy reasons, suffered minor injuries in the 8:15 a.m. Saturday assault.

Police say the American, who is under investigation for violating Germany’s laws against the display of Nazi symbols or slogans, had an extremely high blood alcohol level.

His assailant fled the scene, and is being sought for causing bodily harm.

It’s the second time this month that tourists have gotten themselves into legal trouble for giving the Nazi salute.

On August 5 two Chinese tourists were caught taking photos of themselves making the gesture in front of Berlin’s Reichstag building.

Source

45 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

who is under investigation for violating Germany’s laws against the display of Nazi symbols or slogans

Wouldn't this be nice, if it was illegal in America too.

55 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

We have milk, the OK symbol, and Pepe.

1 hour ago, Dot Matrix said:

I am not sure why making gestures should be illegal but I would like to think someone would slam their fist in the side of the face of anyone who would do that salute in public in front of others.

3 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

I am not sure why making gestures should be illegal but I would like to think someone would slam their fist in the side of the face of anyone who would do that salute in public in front of others.

Germany made it illegal out of pure shame as well as not allowing such a movement to restart - it's not really been all that successful, as there's quite a heavy right wing undertone in Germany right now.

I disagree with absolute censorship as it means you gloss over subjects - but then again, so gestures are so hateful that maybe they should be illegal.

44 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

all literature, memorabilia, and anything related to the Nazi regime is banned and anyone breaching this in Germany face stiff penalties, heck they dont even allow the swastika in games mate.

Their country, you play by their rules, i have no issue with it :) 

Doing this act, is so offensive to the German populace, the idiot is lucky he only got a smack in the chops, and will no doubt face a criminal charge for his moronic behavior, and rightly so.

To put into context, if he had tried the same in the UK, he would have had more than a smack in the face.

Zero tolerance on small minded cretins like this.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

Germany made it illegal out of pure shame as well as not allowing such a movement to restart - it's not really been all that successful, as there's quite a heavy right wing undertone in Germany right now.

I disagree with absolute censorship as it means you gloss over subjects - but then again, so gestures are so hateful that maybe they should be illegal.

Why do you feel the need to keep saying they did it out of shame? Germany tried to make it right and take ownership which us in the US have a poor track record of doing, taking the examples of the history of our treatment of Native Americans and in the aftermath of slavery.

43 minutes ago, Mando said:

all literature, memorabilia, and anything related to the Nazi regime is banned and anyone breaching this in Germany face stiff penalties, heck they dont even allow the swastika in games mate.

Their country, you play by their rules, i have no issue with it :)

I agree and replied to @Dot Matrix who said he like it to be illegal in America.

2 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

Why do you feel the need to keep saying they did it out of shame?

Why do I feel the need to speak the truth?  That's, uh... yeah that's a weird question.

Why do you have an issue with this?  Germany (as a nation) holds that whole period of it's history as a massively shameful blot on their paper.  This is well known and well documented - google "German collective guilt" specifically anything written by Carl Jung, Karl Jaspers and Martin Niemoller on the subject.

Why do you have an issue with this fact and me citing it?  Are you trying to read something into what's been said?

3 hours ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

Why do I feel the need to speak the truth?  That's, uh... yeah that's a weird question.

Why do you have an issue with this?  Germany (as a nation) holds that whole period of it's history as a massively shameful blot on their paper.  This is well known and well documented - google "German collective guilt" specifically anything written by Carl Jung, Karl Jaspers and Martin Niemoller on the subject.

Why do you have an issue with this fact and me citing it?  Are you trying to read something into what's been said?

I don't need to Google anything. LOL I have no doubt that I have more knowledgeable than you on the subject.

The issue is why you felt the need mention Germany's "shame" not once but twice when it's wasn't necessary? I know why... You are trying to deflect the stupidity of this American by taking a shot at Germany. They should be commended on how they have dealt with their past compared to the poor record of Americans and the UK with their past "shames".

• Haha 1

We should probably ask German people if they actually feel 'shame', but the fact is, it happened more than 60 years ago. I'm not saying that makes it right, I'm saying most of those responsible or involved will soon die of old age if they don't have already, so I'd think it's about time we stopped shoving that to their face every time we can. I mean, I don't see people blaming France about Napoleon anymore. Germany has a way bigger history than just the last century or so.

12 hours ago, oldtimefighter said:

I don't need to Google anything. LOL I have no doubt that I have more knowledgeable than you on the subject.

And that bit of hyperbole just got you laughed right out of the room... :p

Never claim superior knowledge on a forum thread, it just makes you come across as an arrogant jerk.

FYI, the Germans DO feel a lot of national shame about the actions of the Nazi's, and don't take kindly to anyone making fun of it.  I'm surprised this guy only got a smack in the chops.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, oldtimefighter said:

The issue is why you felt the need mention Germany's "shame" not once but twice when it's wasn't necessary? I know why... You are trying to deflect the stupidity of this American by taking a shot at Germany. They should be commended on how they have dealt with their past compared to the poor record of Americans and the UK with their past "shames".

You have more knowledgeable?  Really?  You HAVE more knowledgeable?  OK, that truly puts me right in my place then...

Was it necessary? Yes, because the shame that Germany feels is a major reason why they took the steps they did.  It's hugely contextually relevant, but I believe that most Americans aren't aware, which is why the trvialisation of goosestepping, the salute and iconography occurs.

I deflect nothing.  With all that "knowledgeable" that you "have" you have entirely read something into comments that wasn't there.  I think this American was stupid and in no way defend him, I 99% support the German stance.  You've entirely made up something that I never said, implied or certainly meant.

Well done "having so much knowledgeable"...

• Like 1