My thoughts on the Samsung Galaxy S7

I'm currently shopping around for a different version phone. I'm not 100% sure on upgrading yet but I just wanted to look around and see what was available. Either the Android phone market has gone to ######, or I'm just too picky.

I'm trying to move away from custom roms for the moment as it's been giving me some Bluetooth issues and i'm starting to stream music over Bluetooth in my car.

That thread can be found here..

My Requirements 

Monthly Updates no more than 1 month behind

Removable Battery / or a phone easiest enough to take apart to get to the battery

Unlocked Bootloader

Micro SD card slot.

Good Camera

I typically buy 1 generation behind, as I can usually snag like new phones on eBay for around $280. In my searches, this is what I found...

The biggest issue seems to be an unlocked bootloader. I want one so when the phone maker gives the middle to the phone I can install a custom rom. What I've found are most if not all Verizon phones have a locked bootloader. The Unlocked models which do have an unlocked bootloader usually don't work on Verizon.

Nexus 6 and Nexus 6p : They don't have Micro SD card slots, and the 6p makes you take the screen off to get to the battery.

LG V20 This one looked promising, but the security updates seem a few and far between. The Verizon version has a locked bootloader. The unlocked version works on Verizon and has a tool to unlock the bootloader. But upon researching the updates are horrific, which is pretty pathetic because the unlocked version should be able to push the updates directly to the phone.

Samsung Galaxy s7 :  No removable battery and the bootloader is locked on Verizon and the unlocked version doesn't work on Verizon.

I just wish someone would release a phone which meets all those requirements. If Google gave you a removable battery a micro-SD card slot and dropped the price a little they would own the market.

Pulled the trigger on the Galaxy S7

I'm kind of Leaning towards the S7. In the scheme of things, updates are more important to me than removable batteries. So I would like to ask anyone who has a Verizon S7, how frequent are the updates? I also stopped by Verizon to try it out I really like the feel of 5.1 as 5.5 always seemed a little big 1 handed.

I realize in general I'm ######ed when it comes to the bootloader. Will probably be locked no matter what. 

My only concern is I would probably get it on eBay.  I could probably snag one with a clean activation and mint condition for about $285. But normally I wouldn't care if it came with a bum battery because I would just replace it. But this one you have to heat the glue and peel the back off.  Samsung in their ######## wisdom also had to make the back of the phone glass. ######## idiots. Let's make it slicker and something that when you finally drop it can crack the back of the phone.

I don't understand why they make these phones to look so pretty because any smart person would throw a case on it instantly!

So I ended up pulling the trigger on the Samsung Galaxy S7. I went to Verizon yesterday to hold it in my hand. I liked it. At the end of the day while the V20 had a removable battery and dual cameras, it was .2 bigger than what I had (from 5.5 to 5.7) and what I had I always wished could have been a little smaller. Plus the Galaxy S7 has wireless Charging and pretty frequent updates (at this time).

I thought it would be nice being able to put the phone on a magnetic holster in the SUV, have it snap to it and charge at same time. The battery is not removable but it also doesn't look very hard to heat the back up and remove it. Not nearly as hard as the Pixel.

On 8/19/2017 at 8:40 PM, warwagon said:

Nexus 6 and Nexus 6p : They don't have Micro SD card slots, and the 6p makes you take the screen off to get to the battery.

I was looking to replace my battery and the vids I saw, you do not have to remove the screen.

Just removes the back cover to get at the battery.  Just need to pop the phone out of the cover.

13 minutes ago, techbeck said:

I was looking to replace my battery and the vids I saw, you do not have to remove the screen.

Just removes the back cover to get at the battery.  Just need to pop the phone out of the cover.

It just looked that way the way he had the screen facing up. Didn't like having to take the camera cover off either.

Just now, warwagon said:

It just looked that way the way he had the screen facing up. Didn't like having to take the camera cover off either.

Yea, it looks like it would be a pain.  I think eventually all phones will be like this tho with no removable battery.

2 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Yea, it looks like it would be a pain.  I think eventually all phones will be like this tho with no removable battery.

I know its' sad. I would much rather give up water resistant to a removable battery. But it also gives 1 company a chance to stand above the reset. I mean phones have been water resistance and had a removable battery.

I looked and they were still pushing Security updates as of May 2017 for the note 3.  So Samsung said they will give out 2 OS updates ... the last one for the s7 probably being android O at some point and 3 years (hopefully) of security updates ... they seem to be pretty on the ball with security updates.

The Google phones were out of the running due to not having 2 of the things I was looking for. Removable battery AND MicroSD card. I could give up 1 but not 2 features.

So I would make a short post on my thoughts on the Galaxy S7

Overall I like the feeling of the phone in my hand, it feels like just the right size. When I hold it up to my head it feels perfect! I personally feel someone would be stupid not to immediately put a case on it. I put one on it the moment it arrived (the case arrived the same day). It's SUPER slick!

I was very surprised it came with the June Patch Cycle, then Offered me July than August.

Over all the battery has been pretty horrific. I did manage to improve it by downloading DK Disabler and Disabling a lot of the built in crap. Before disabling that stuff I would have dropped 10% in 33 mins doing very little. Upon researching it online a lot of people are having this issue.

Now I drop about 10% per hour with moderate use. It does charge fast, and I got a magnetic car charger holder which should be there tomorrow, 1 charge pad and 1 charge dock.

The Camera is pretty great.

36853058985_bfff642dd2_c.jpg

When I took this photo I accidentally had it set to 16:9 at 3 mega pixel .. oops... I then reset it back up 4:3  to 12 megapixel, but don't have any new photos in that res to share.

Since having the phone I've also been able to experience HD calling. Pretty amazing how good it sounds. I'm enjoying not having random reboots like I was having with my G3 and custom roms.

Overall that's my quick Galaxy S7 review. 

I was hesitant to move to my S8 from my S5 with Cyanogenmod/LineageOS.  I then HAD to make a decision quick due to phone taking a swim and I'm happy with decision.  With 64GB and most of my stuff in the cloud, I don't need the SD card and the battery is pretty good.  Much better then my S5.  I was worried about not having removable battery, but so far not regretting it.  I usually wait a year like you, but didn't have a choice and needed it quick for work and such.  There wasn't a LineageOS build for it last I looked, but we'll see in a year or so.

I know a lot of people that liked and used the S7.  It was half price over Christmas on Verizon, but missed the promotion.  I'm sure you'll be pretty happy with it.

1 minute ago, farmeunit said:

I was hesitant to move to my S8 from my S5 with Cyanogenmod/LineageOS.  I then HAD to make a decision quick due to phone taking a swim and I'm happy with decision.  With 64GB and most of my stuff in the cloud, I don't need the SD card and the battery is pretty good.  Much better then my S5.  I was worried about not having removable battery, but so far not regretting it.  I usually wait a year like you, but didn't have a choice and needed it quick for work and such.  There wasn't a LineageOS build for it last I looked, but we'll see in a year or so.

I know a lot of people that liked and used the S7.  It was half price over Christmas on Verizon, but missed the promotion.  I'm sure you'll be pretty happy with it.

If maybe Samsung fixes in the next update the battery issue everyone is having, i'll be really happy with it.

41 minutes ago, warwagon said:

If maybe Samsung fixes in the next update the battery issue everyone is having, i'll be really happy with it.

I'm sure this has been done on yours since you just got it, but mine had an update and had terrible battery life, but a factory reset took care of it.

Been Using S7 for about 5-6 months now, (on Sprint though)  Much better than the previous Galaxy Grand Prime, ok battery, lasts about a day if I don't do much on it, if I do more, then it drains faster,    Holds all my apps perfectly, Avast Mobile Security works fine on it (I still install Antivirus on my mobiles just to be safe, not sure if really needed), Camera takes excellent pictures

Overall Happy with my S7

Can't wait to see how Android O works on it

Last Security update July 1st 2017 

Also using on Desktop Avast Antivirus, so both Phone and PC match

2 hours ago, bikeman25 said:

Been Using S7 for about 5-6 months now, (on Sprint though)  Much better than the previous Galaxy Grand Prime, ok battery, lasts about a day if I don't do much on it, if I do more, then it drains faster,    Holds all my apps perfectly, Avast Mobile Security works fine on it (I still install Antivirus on my mobiles just to be safe, not sure if really needed), Camera takes excellent pictures

Overall Happy with my S7

Can't wait to see how Android O works on it

Last Security update July 1st 2017 

Also using on Desktop Avast Antivirus, so both Phone and PC match

Which carrier do you have it on? So it looks like Verizon is actually on the ball, rolling out a security update the same month it's released.

3 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Which carrier do you have it on? So it looks like Verizon is actually on the ball, rolling out a security update the same month it's released.

They haven’t always done that. We had two S7 Edges (one now) and there are times they are on time and times they are quite late.  You just happened to come in on a good time. 

25 minutes ago, warwagon said:

I have Sprint Carrier, so sometimes could be late, sometimes could be on time with security updates,  so far don't have August update though, but guess it will come eventually 

22 hours ago, warwagon said:

When I took this photo I accidentally had it set to 16:9 at 3 mega pixel .. oops... I then reset it back up 4:3  to 12 megapixel, but don't have any new photos in that res to share.

Since having the phone I've also been able to experience HD calling. Pretty amazing how good it sounds. I'm enjoying not having random reboots like I was having with my G3 and custom roms.

Overall that's my quick Galaxy S7 review. 

Aye, I too gave up on custom roms for the lg g3, it was either no laser focus, gps problems. All in all I think the only phones with massive and proper custom roms are the onepluses with unlocked bootloader, LGs current offering with unlocked bootloader and samsung aplenty (just the sheer mas of roms available!)

On 8/21/2017 at 6:48 PM, warwagon said:

I'm kind of Leaning towards the S7. In the scheme of things, updates are more important to me than removable batteries. So I would like to ask anyone who has a Verizon S7, how frequent are the updates? I also stopped by Verizon to try it out I really like the feel of 5.1 as 5.5 always seemed a little big 1 handed.

I realize in general I'm ######ed when it comes to the bootloader. Will probably be locked no matter what. 

My only concern is I would probably get it on eBay.  I could probably snag one with a clean activation and mint condition for about $285. But normally I wouldn't care if it came with a bum battery because I would just replace it. But this one you have to heat the glue and peel the back off.  Samsung in their ######## wisdom also had to make the back of the phone glass. ######## idiots. Let's make it slicker and something that when you finally drop it can crack the back of the phone.

I don't understand why they make these phones to look so pretty because any smart person would throw a case on it instantly!

I have one, and started with 7.0 (deliberately - as it had just become available as a whole system image).  Updates have been monthly since, so I can't exactly say that they have been late.  If anyone has been late, it has been Samsung (not Verizon, or even VZW) as 7.1.2 is still not available from any carrier for the phone (regardless of SoC - VZW uses only Snapdragon - not Exynos).  Because of the lateness, I actually expect a direct update to Oreo, as opposed to an update to full Nougat at this point.  Since I also have a Nexus (which is my daily) the issue is WHICH will get the cookie first - the Nexus or the S7.

One thing I sadly miss more than anything is the power / volume buttons on the back of the G3. With the s7 i'm contstantly picking the phone up and holding it in my hand upside down and having to flip it around.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got an update on Thursday with the August patch cycle.  it did patch blueborne so that's good. The update also took forever to install.

• 3 weeks later...

It's with all the whole images so far, fortunately - wound up doing a double-move (moved my number from the VZW side of Tracfone to the T-Mobile side) and thus from my GNex to the S7; that also means changing the S7's firmware to match (from VZW to T-M).  Thanks to the trend of making Universal Phone SoCs (the S7 is one of the first of them) this is, in fact, doable (and is the ONLY way around network locking - which usually happens if the original owner blows up the phone, usually by bailing on the contract on an exclusive model - this happens more with carrier exclusives than anyone - even the carriers - want to admit, and it happened a TON with the S7s on VZW).  End result - I have T-Mobile firmware on an ex-VZW S7 that is enroute to the T-M side of Tracfone.

Tracfone happens to run the BYOP side of Safelink Wireless (which they own, in fact) which is a Universal Lifeline Service provider - from that, they have two carrier networks that they use - T-Mobile and Verizon Wireless (depending on the phones themselves).  Tracfone's BYOP service also provides prepaid services using both the T-M and VZW MVNO services - and thus sell a LOT of prepaid ready-to-go phones - everywhere from kiosks to QVC to Amazon; they are even adding Tracfone-branded stores.  Anyhoo, the BYOP side also ports lifeline phone numbers - which comes in REAL handy if you manage to land higher-quality phone hardware than the lifeline flip-phone or candybar (typically old-school ex-Samsung or Alcatel) that you have Universal Lifeline on (in my case, it was my mom's old GNex).  The issue with the GNex is that it has issues with the LTE bands Tracfone typically gets stuck with (specifically, LTE band 13).  While - as an MVNO - it does NOT subject their phone to VZW's strict stock-only policy - being trapped behind LTE band 13 subjects you to an older phone that is hardly usable AS a phone; worse, most Android games definitely prefer an Android OS newer than KitKat - most, in fact, require Lollipop or better, while some yank the floor to Marshmallow, if not Nougat.  While you CAN run Nougat on a GNex, see my comments about LTE band 13.  The data side of the move is, in fact, done, and the S7 is the most unleashed it's been since I've had it.