Bitdefender 2018 vs. Windows Defender - Ransomware protection

Question

12 answers to this question

25 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

Personally, comparing those 2 products is down right idiotic!

I'll take Bitdefender any day and not even think twice about it!!

Why are you saying the OP is idiotic?

52 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

Thank you very much for your kind words...can you explain why you choose Bitdefender?

1 hour ago, cork1958 said:

I'll take Defender, Windows 10, and common sense any day of the week and spend the $50 on something else.

5 minutes ago, dwLostCat said:

I'll take Defender, Windows 10, and common sense any day of the week and spend the $50 on something else.

I can get it for $25 from anti-virus4u store

But my question was from the perspective of ransomware security, have you watched the first video? it's scary:woot:  honestly never got any virus with windows defender, I'm just really worried from ransomware threats

I would test this myself if I knew how to get the ransomware in question.  Anyone know a good way?

I question the validity of the sample in question and the way it was handled is already pretty shady.  For example, one wouldn't download an executable and have it immediately be "runnable" without it being already pre-approved by the user.  It's not sure what context the user in question is being run in (are they admin?) etc...

Also the Defender video already appears to lean toward anti-Microsoft -- the space saving comments are not the reaction to the virus, but just something the system does on occasion and was bad/strange timing.   I dislike random strange attack ads, where they truly didn't give you enough data.

Edit:  These videos also from the same vendor, so not really a comparison.  I really don't have a lot to say negative about Bitdefender, just that there have been comments made about how bad Microsoft Defender is, so I'd like to actually test it, and this thread is as good as any to ask - how can I get some viruses and malware for testing? :)

2 minutes ago, Mlee1 said:

I can get it for $25 from anti-virus4u store

But my question was from the perspective of ransomware security, have you watched the first video? it's scary:woot:  honestly never got any virus with windows defender, I'm just really worried from ransomware threats

Bitdefender has definitely upped their trying to scare people game lately.  I'm sure they're convincing some people, but most experienced techies know what not to do.

24 minutes ago, dwLostCat said:

Bitdefender has definitely upped their trying to scare people game lately.  I'm sure they're convincing some people, but most experienced techies know what not to do.

Test was by The PC Security Channel:

What about combination of windows defender and bitdefender free antiransomware tool?

Edited by Mlee1

2 hours ago, Mlee1 said:

What about combination of windows defender and bitdefender free antiransomware tool?

That would be a good free combo... No matter what AV solution you pick (use just Windows Defender myself) you need to back it up with an ad-blocker while NOT opening unexpected email attachments.

Adblocker. Most effective AV software EVER. Website owners hate it but tough that is how ransomware is spread these days. Not from opening INFECTME_exe.pdf anymore like its 2002. Hackers buy an ad and put it on a website and bots come to them. 

Windows Defender is nearly useless as virus and ransomware writters test it agains't it before releasing it into the wild. AV software is near useless. The only good it will do is in a corporate environment where users do not respect their work PCs liek their home as it is the I.T. guys problem and click everywhere. Corporate AV endpoints can be disabled by port with a CISCO router. But home users? Please waste of money.

I wouldnt wipe my rear end with Defender, its better than nothing......just. Its a lot better than pre-W10, but not that much.

BitDefender is decent, as long as you pay for it, otherwise you have to remember to update your defs on the freetard version.

Free for home :- Sophos Home Free

paid for : Webroot.......end of discussion :) 

15 hours ago, sinetheo said:

Adblocker. Most effective AV software EVER. Website owners hate it but tough that is how ransomware is spread these days. Not from opening INFECTME_exe.pdf anymore like its 2002. Hackers buy an ad and put it on a website and bots come to them. 

Windows Defender is nearly useless as virus and ransomware writters test it agains't it before releasing it into the wild. AV software is near useless. The only good it will do is in a corporate environment where users do not respect their work PCs liek their home as it is the I.T. guys problem and click everywhere. Corporate AV endpoints can be disabled by port with a CISCO router. But home users? Please waste of money.

Last night I installed Bitdefender together with Malwarebytes free Antimalware and Adblocker. So far, so good...