• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Quick few questions on flashing custom roms

Sir Topham Hatt    272

So...

Just gone through installing my first custom rom.

If I was to install a bunch of apps, customise the wallpaper, ringtones and such, then I wanted to update the rom to the next version, would I loose all that?

If I was to install a bunch of apps, customise... blah blah blah, then install a different rom, I guess I would loose the apps and such?

Thanks

Nick H.    9,858

It's been a while since I've installed a custom ROM, but I seem to remember that if you are just updating the ROM then most of them are advanced enough to keep your customizations and apps. Although they will advise that you do a complete wipe of the device so as to keep the bugs as few as possible. I would say that you should update as you see fit, but if you notice that you run in to issues your first thought should be to do a complete wipe.

Switching to a different ROM would require a complete wipe of the device, though.

• Like 1

techbeck    6,909
On 8/22/2017 at 3:01 AM, Sir Topham Hatt said:

So...

Just gone through installing my first custom rom.

If I was to install a bunch of apps, customise the wallpaper, ringtones and such, then I wanted to update the rom to the next version, would I loose all that?

If I was to install a bunch of apps, customise... blah blah blah, then install a different rom, I guess I would loose the apps and such?

Thanks

If you are just updating a current ROM, you can keep all your customization/apps. 

Same goes for switching ROMs.  However, normally when I switch from one ROM to another, I do a full wipe/start from scratch.  Lot less issues this way.

• Like 1

Sir Topham Hatt    272

Thanks.

So far so good but found out HERE maps doesn't work - that's a big issue for me :/

It might be Greenify, although the app shouldn't know about HERE maps.  I hope it's not the ROM - would be hassle to switch :(