CrashPlan for is Exiting the Home Market

So after having a little scare with my home server, I bought a years subscriptions to CrashPlan for my cloud back up service. 

I've just had an email from them with the following

Hello,

Thank you for being a CrashPlan® for Home customer. We're honored that you’ve trusted us to protect your data.

It's because of this trust that we want you to know that we have shifted our business strategy to focus on the enterprise and small business segments. This means that over the next 14 months we will be exiting the consumer market and you must choose another option for data backup before your subscription expires. We are committed to providing you with an easy and efficient transition.

They've provided options but having to pay double what I paid in my first year doesn't seem ideal to me. I guess I'll be moving over to something else come the new year. 

Anyone else a CrashPlan user?

Looking over the email I got, it looks like you can switch to the Pro service for free for the remaineder of the subscription and for $2.50 per device per month for the year after that. $30 for the year doesn't sound bad at all. I have switch my account over and will see how I like it.

On 8/26/2017 at 2:17 AM, Jester124 said:

Looking over the email I got, it looks like you can switch to the Pro service for free for the remaineder of the subscription and for $2.50 per device per month for the year after that. $30 for the year doesn't sound bad at all. I have switch my account over and will see how I like it.

Yeah the initial offer does seem tempting, but I've been looking at alternatives. Whilst unlimited is great, I feel like I could get more value for money with something that's a little more tailored to what I need. I'll take their auto-extension offer, but will more than likely move to something else over Christmas.

I figured with the 1-year at half cost as I am currently backing up just one device, I would make the move to the Small business platform. When I contacted Carbonite, they would chage me more to backup my server than even the full $9.99/month Crashplan would charge me after the switch. Those data packs are a killer. Hopefully you find a good service that will meet your needs. RIP CrashPlan for Home!