Xbox Games with Gold & Deals with Gold: September 2017

dipsylalapo

For the month of September, Xbox Live Gold members will receive four new free games – two on Xbox One and two on Xbox 360 – as part of the Games with Gold program. You can play both Xbox 360 titles on your Xbox One with Backward Compatibility.

On Xbox One, Xbox Live Gold members can download Forza Motorsport 5 ($39.99 ERP) for free during the month of September. Oxenfree ($19.99 ERP) will be available as a free download from September 16th to October 15th.

On Xbox 360, starting September 1st, Hydro Thunder Hurricane ($14.99 ERP) will be free for Xbox Live Gold members through September 15th. Then on September 16th, Xbox Live Gold Members can download Battlefield 3 ($19.99 ERP) for free through September 30th.

EA Access Games in the Vault for Xbox One
Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Games

Xbox Games with Gold & Deals with Gold: August 2017

• Like 1
Vandalsquad

Insane month. Never heard of Hydro Thunder but looks like a HD make of one of my favourite PS1 games Rapid Racer. All in.

• Andrew pinned this topic
Andrew

Not a very good month :/ Should have been FH2 or 3 and not the terrible FM5.

Only one I don't own is Hydro Thunder - I remember playing the trial and almost instantly deleting it. I too was reminded of Rapid Racer when it launched, but it's nowhere near in the same league.

Hopefully October is better.

• 2 weeks later...
dipsylalapo

Seven more titles have been added to the Xbox Games Pass. 

• 10 Second Ninja X
  • Fable 2
  • Garou: Mark of the Wolves
  • Hue
  • Metro: Last Light Redux
  • ReCore Definitive Edition
  • The Bridge

DIp25UPWsAAf5Rr.jpg:large

George P

If they add more than they take out on average, and the titles in the library are good, then the value and cost makes good sense for someone looking to pay once and binge on as many games as they can for a month or however long they feel like paying for. 

dipsylalapo

A little late this week probably because of Labour Day but here are this week’s games and add-on deals on the Xbox Games Store. Discounts are valid now through 11 September 2017. 

Source

George P

Nothing that grabs my attention other than RE7, but I can hold off on that still, it'll go up on sale again for sure.

+LostCat

Ooh, got The Crews addon.  I finished the game on X1, got it on PC later but haven't put much time into it the second time around (actually, usually the case when I buy on a second platform apparently.  I guess I can stop doing that.)

dragontology

I think the first Hydro Thunder was free before, or maybe it was that one. I think we have it.

Oxenfree is supposed to be real good. I got it on my phone, but I'm not sure I'll ever play it on the phone. I'm just not much of a phone gamer. I've tried the basic phone games, and they're okay for a minute or two, but for a real game, I wanna be looking at a monitor or a TV with a controller or mouse in my hand.

Hard pass on the other two, though I'll add 'em if I get Gold again in time because we got the 2TB XB1S so why not.

Wife's Gold expired a couple weeks ago. We got everything in August, and I guess we have until October 15 to re-up. Any good deals on Gold?

dipsylalapo

Free to play with weekend....starting today is Skyrim Special Edition. Definitely worth checking out if you haven't played it yet. 

Source

raider360

I have a question: I have Xbox 360 right now but can I get Forza 5 somehow using "Games with gold" but play later when I will get Xbox One?

Andrew
2 hours ago, raider360 said:

I have a question: I have Xbox 360 right now but can I get Forza 5 somehow using "Games with gold" but play later when I will get Xbox One?

Yes. Games with Gold games can be redeemed from Xbox.com here or from the Xbox 360 dashboard.

To do it from the 360, look for the advert on the 'Home' tab for Deals with Gold / Games with Gold, (currently the graphic for the deals is of Chun Li from Street Fighter with "save 75%" text). That will take you to two tabs of which one where you can browse the Games with Gold games. Select Forza 5 GOTY and choose "Get for Xbox One".

If you want to redeem the games from Xbox.com you will be asked to save a payment method to your account. However, you can redeem games from the Xbox 360 without a saved payment method.

• Like 1
raider360
8 hours ago, Andrew said:

Yes. Games with Gold games can be redeemed from Xbox.com here or from the Xbox 360 dashboard.

To do it from the 360, look for the advert on the 'Home' tab for Deals with Gold / Games with Gold, (currently the graphic for the deals is of Chun Li from Street Fighter with "save 75%" text). That will take you to two tabs of which one where you can browse the Games with Gold games. Select Forza 5 GOTY and choose "Get for Xbox One".

If you want to redeem the games from Xbox.com you will be asked to save a payment method to your account. However, you can redeem games from the Xbox 360 without a saved payment method.

That is great. Thank you!

dipsylalapo

Here are this week’s games and add-on deals on the Xbox Games Store. Discounts are valid now through 18 September 2017. This has a Bandai Namco publisher sale

Source

Andrew

Worth noting that SW Battlefront Season Pass is free. Worth claiming in any event they give away the game in GwG sometime. The Ultimate Edt of the game is super cheap if you'd rather buy now, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
techbeck

Yea, not a good month for the freebies.  Hopefully next month is better

George P

It's good to see GTAV is on sale yet again, when I'm ready to give it a go i'm sure it'll be on sale yet again.  

+LostCat
42 minutes ago, George P said:

It's good to see GTAV is on sale yet again, when I'm ready to give it a go i'm sure it'll be on sale yet again.  

Maybe I’ll finally try that post x1x but eh.  I have more than enough games o.o

dipsylalapo

It's been a while, but a few new titles have been added to the BC catalogue. 

• Undertow
  • Monopoly Deal
  • Virtual On (Japan only)
  • Slender: The Arrival
  • Super Contra
  • Saint's Row: The Third

Source

George P

I remember playing, or trying to, virtual on in the arcades back in the day.   Could never win but hey, it was cool with the dual joystick setup and so on.

• 2 weeks later...
dipsylalapo

Here are this week’s games and add-on deals on the Xbox Games Store. Discounts are valid now through 02 October 2017. This week has special offers from Curve Digital and Activision. 

Source

George P

Hmm is the mass effect Andromeda delux edition at 40 euros worth it or should I just get the normal game at 20?  Because at 20 I figure it's worth it for sure. 

dipsylalapo
7 minutes ago, George P said:

Hmm is the mass effect Andromeda delux edition at 40 euros worth it or should I just get the normal game at 20?  Because at 20 I figure it's worth it for sure. 

Looking at what you get, I'd say probably not. 

Looks to be a few weapons and outfits. If there were new areas to explore, then maybe.

George P
Just now, dipsylalapo said:

Looking at what you get, I'd say probably not. 

Looks to be a few weapons and outfits. If there were new areas to explore, then maybe.

That's what I figured, I'll just grab the game itself for 20e then.

dipsylalapo

Two more titles being added to BC today

• Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
  • Sonic Adventure

• Andrew unpinned this topic
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Abhay V
      Windows Terminal Preview 1.7 improves window management, settings UI, and more
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Microsoft today announced a new preview release of Windows Terminal, bumping up the version to 1.7. This also means that version 1.6 is now being made generally available. As for version 1.7, the company is bringing a bunch of improvements to the newly added settings UI, enhancements to windowing, and the usual crop of bug fixes.

The biggest additions come to windowing, as the tool now lets users choose where a new terminal instance launches thanks to the ‘windowingBehavior’ global settings. The options include the ability to open a new window in an already existing terminal instance or a new window. There are three available options and they can be found on the Startup page of the new settings UI.

The tool is also getting a ‘newWindow’ action that allows users to open a new window through keyboard shortcuts. Additionally, there are new arguments for commands to choose between the windows that one wants to interact with. For example, users can open a new tab with the default profile in the current window or in a new window.

Another interesting addition coming with version 1.7 is the read-only panes feature. As the name suggests, users can prevent input into panes by using the 'toggleReadOnlyMode' action, letting them avoid untoward key presses when a build is in process. Currently, there are no shortcuts assigned to it. The tool is also getting the option to automatically move focus to a pane by hovering on it with a mouse. This setting is present in the Interaction section of the settings UI or can be enabled using the 'focusFollowMouse' action. It is set to false by default.

Next up are improvements to the new settings UI. The UI is now being made the default for Preview users. However, not all options from settings.json are available in the UI yet, and the firm is requesting feedback on users’ preferences on GitHub here. As for the improvements, there’s a new Actions page to list all the keyboard shortcuts, a redesigned Color Schemes page that aims to be less cluttered, and enhancements that make it easy to use with a screen reader or the keyboard alone, improving accessibility.

Other changes coming with version 1.7 include JSON fragment extensions support, a new centerOnLaunch setting to always launch the terminal in the center of the screen, a new action for search that allows users to search between the next and previous matches, and a few bug fixes.

Here are the miscellaneous improvements made for the release:

And here are the bug fixes:

Those that installed Windows Terminal from the Microsoft Store should be able to update to the latest version automatically. These updates can also be installed manually from the GitHub page here that contains both the preview version and the version being made generally available.

• By LoneWolfSL
      Games with Gold: Metal Slug 3 and Warface: Breakout are now free
      by Pulasthi Ariyasinghe

Sticking to the schedule Microsoft announced last month, the first wave of the March Games with Gold has landed heralding a double drop of bonus games to Xbox Live Gold and Xbox Game pass Ultimate members. The two games available now are the Xbox One title Warface: Breakout and the Xbox 360 title Metal Slug 3.

Warface: Breakout is available on Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S, while Metal Slug 3 is up for grabs across the Xbox 360, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X|S.

Use the store links below to add the titles to a Gold activated Microsoft account:

Warface: Breakout (Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S)

Metal Slug 3 (Xbox 360, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One)

Those who haven't yet managed to claim Dandara: Trials of Fear Edition from the previous Games with Gold promotion still have two weeks left before the game is replaced by the next Xbox One Gold game, Vicious Attack Llama Apocalypse.

As always, keep in mind that Xbox 360 games claimed via these promotions will continue being playable even if the Gold subscription is discontinued. However, claimed Xbox One games are only playable while the account has an active subscription to Gold.

• By Rich Woods
      Microsoft job listing hints at 5G and a better camera in the next Surface Duo
      by Rich Woods

Microsoft first announced the Surface Duo in October 2019, showing a video where something in a bag rang, and immediately the crowd knew that the long-awaited Surface phone had arrived. While it was planned to launch in the holiday 2020 season, it arrived over the summer, but it definitely had some shortcomings.

It included a Snapdragon 855 chipset, which was last-gen even then. However, it's entirely possible that the reason was because a Snapdragon 865 would require 5G and reworked antennas. The camera also wasn't impressive, packing a low-end 11MP f/2.0 sensor, and being that the device itself is so thin, there's only so much z-depth that the camera can possibly offer.

According to a job listing that was spotted by Windows Latest, both 5G and a better camera should be coming in the next model. OF course, none of this is surprising, as the new Snapdragon 888 comes with an integrated 5G modem and a separate 5G modem is a requirement for the Snapdragon 865, 865+, and 870. The job listing calls for someone with experience with 3GPP standards and 5G radio technologies.

And then there are the camera improvements, where apparently, Microsoft will be using machine learning and artificial intelligence for better image processing. While this will certainly help with a camera that's mediocre even in broad daylight settings, there's only so much that image processing can do to overcome the barriers set by entry-level hardware.

Other than that, there's not much to say. Again, this stuff isn't surprising, but it's nice to see that Microsoft is working on solving the weaker points of the Surface Duo's hardware.

• By Usama Jawad96
      Microsoft quietly fixes weird Windows 10 drive corruption bug, but only in Insider build
      by Usama Jawad

Last month, it was revealed that Windows 10 contains a weird bug in which the OS throws an error message that the drive is corrupted and that you should reboot the system, when a certain location is accessed via the Command Prompt or a browser. While Microsoft appears to have quietly fixed the issue in the latest Insider Preview build 21322, it still appears to be present in other versions of Windows 10.

Bleeping Computer reports that when you run the change directory "cd" command on the Command Prompt with a specific location, Windows warns that "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable", recommending that you reboot the machine with chkdsk to fix the drive. This happens even when users with low privileges access the NTFS volume. Microsoft had previously stated that the corruption message is inaccurate and the drive isn't actually corrupted, but another report from OSR claims that in its testing, one instance of Windows 10 failed to reboot even after repeated chkdsk.

Microsoft has fixed the issue in its latest Windows 10 Insider Preview build 21322 pushed out a few days ago, and it does not allow users to access the problematic location as can be seen below:

Naturally, we tested accessing the location on our virtual machines powered by other, older versions of Windows too. On Windows Vista, the location in question is not accessible either:

However, when we tried to access the location via Command Prompt on an old machine with Windows 10 Pro version 1803 - which is an older version of the operating system that is no longer supported. True to reports, there is an error message that the "file or directory is corrupted and unreadable", and the system recommends that you close all apps, restart the PC, and repair drive errors to fix the issue:

In our case, Windows 10 fortunately did manage to reboot with chkdsk and did not get stuck in a loop. We expect other versions of Windows 10 prior to Insider build 21322 to behave in the same way, barring any serious anomalies:

It's a six-year-old PC! It is important to note that other vendors and companies are trying to block access to the problematic location from their end. Mozilla Firefox 85.0.1 has a check which disables access to locations with the ":$" symbol, while OSR has released an unofficial patch which disallows access to the path. That said, it is rather strange that Microsoft is not pushing out a hotfix for older versions of Windows 10. We have seen similar issues with other operating systems such as iOS in the past, and while they may not be dangerous in most cases, it is always worth fixing these issues to prevent viral pranks that can be a nuisance for PC owners who are not tech-savvy.

• By Rich Woods
      Lenovo ThinkBook 14s Yoga unboxing and first impressions
      by Rich Woods

Lenovo's ThinkBook 14s Yoga is the first convertible ThinkBook, so while ThinkBook is a modern take on the company's business PC efforts, it's worth remembering that the firm actually invented the convertible under the ThinkPad brand. But unlike most of the ThinkPad convertibles that we've seen, this one is all aluminum, and it doesn't come with legacy features like the TrackPoint.

It does come with one feature that we've seen from plenty of Lenovo convertibles: the pen garage. It has a pen built right into it, so the pen is always with you, and it's always charged. It also comes with a ThinkShutter privacy shutter.

Personally, I'm excited for the new Abyss Blue color, which is apparently limited edition. It's very pretty, and along with the two-tone look, it really stands apart from the crowd. Of course, you can also get it in the old Mineral Gray color if that's more your speed.

Naturally, the ThinkBook 14s Yoga comes with up to an Intel Core i7-1165G7, and this particular model comes with 16GB RAM and a 512GB SSD. The 14-inch screen is FHD. It also comes with Thunderbolt 4 connectivity, solving one of my pain points in a previous ThinkBook review.

Check out the unboxing video below: