Is it normal for Nexus/Pixel updates to go through carrier testing?

I've never owned a Nexus before so I'm not sure if this is normal. Oreo is in carrier testing for the Pixel. I bought the phone unlocked from the Google store, but it seems that Google is holding back the OTA for all Pixels until the Verizon variant to get approved. I was under the impression that even the Verizon model would get updates without carrier interference, but now it seems that the inverse is true; the unlocked Google store version is being held back so that the Verizon models do not get the update later than the unlocked Verizon. Was this a normal thing for Nexus phones in the past? 

And do Apple updates for iPhones get carrier tested as well?

5 minutes ago, joh07657 said:

I've never owned a Nexus before so I'm not sure if this is normal. Oreo is in carrier testing for the Pixel. I bought the phone unlocked from the Google store, but it seems that Google is holding back the OTA for all Pixels until the Verizon variant to get approved. I was under the impression that even the Verizon model would get updates without carrier interference, but now it seems that the inverse is true; the unlocked Google store version is being held back so that the Verizon models do not get the update later than the unlocked Verizon. Was this a normal thing for Nexus phones in the past? 

iOS goes through carrier testing, yes, you'll find some high profile cases of zero day oops a few iOS versions back that either caused carrier specific delays or warnings for their customers.

Carriers can disable certain features... i.e. Wifi calling or hotspot support. However Apple can and does release iOS updates at their will, which as stated above can cause some issues.

6 minutes ago, joh07657 said:

The Verizon model definitely has update frequency dependent on their testing.