Windows Server 2016 WIFI Query

Hi there,

I have a server that is connected to the network via WIFI and other computers that are also connected via WIFI and was wondering if I could use the domain to connect the client PC's to the server?

All the client PC's are Windows 10 Pro and the server is Windows Server 2016 Essentials.

Many thanks,

Dave.

Domain Server and Clients doesn't care about the "medium" whether its WiFi or wired, they will work if the networking is correctly defined, but you need to make sure, the WiFi has good bandwidth and it have required number of client support to connect.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I have the domain configured but the client PC's can't see the server and vice versa. What networking changes do I need to make?

Cheers,

Dave.

Its probably because of DNS miss-configured, you need to check the client DNS configuration, if you're using WiFi router DNS for internet, they might not see your Domain Server.

DNS must be the ad server, not a internet or isp server.   Domain DNs servers should be the only dns servers in any ip setting, dhcp or static.   This is for the simple reason that the internet doesn't know about your internal domain and when you query the internet dns servers for your internal you will get messages that basically state it isn't found or doesn't exist. 

Also check that your wireless hardware isn't performing client isolation - preventing clients on the wireless network from communicating with each other, and only providing internet access.

9 hours ago, davy141 said:

I have a server that is connected to the network via WIFI

Wow that is nuts - is the server on wheels and move about the building?  For what other possible reason would you run your "server" on wifi? ;)

6 hours ago, xendrome said:

DNS role needs to be installed.

It is not possible to setup AD without dns being up and running.

As sc302 stated already - members of AD need to point to DNS for the AD.. no public dns system is going to have clue one to the AD domain, so yes they will return NX.  Or some other info if your using some domain that resolves publicly on the internet.  AD has been around since 2000.. So 17 some years ago - how is this still such a issue that people do not understand that your clients need to talk to your AD dns to work correctly?