Terry Pratchett's unpublished works crushed by steamroller

hard drive containing unfinished works by Terry Pratchett has been crushed by a steamroller, as per instructions left by the fantasy novelist.

It is thought up to 10 incomplete novels were flattened at the Great Dorset Steam Fair.

The six-and-a-half tonne Lord Jericho was used to roll over the hard drive several times before a concrete crusher finished off the remains.

Pratchett died aged 66 in March 2015.

The creator of the Discworld series had been battling Alzheimer's disease.

Before vanquishing the hard drive, Rob Wilkins, the writer's long-serving assistant, tweeted that he was "about to fulfil my obligation to Terry".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-41093066

So... nobody at any point took a backup, and moreover Pratchett (a man who's own memory was failing, and would probably have considered such things) had no backup plan in place?

Yeah, struggling to accept that...

• Like 1

On the one hand, I can't argue with the wishes of Terry Pratchett. I imagine he didn't want anyone taking control of the stories and twisting them from what he would have wanted.

On the other hand, how can you destroy unpublished works from Terry Pratchett?!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

So... nobody at any point took a backup, and moreover Pratchett (a man who's own memory was failing, and would probably have considered such things) had no backup plan in place?

Yeah, struggling to accept that...

Terry *wanted* the hard drive destroyed, he didn't want anyone else taking his unfinished work and releasing a book in his name/a.n. other name. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/30/2017 at 0:00 PM, Nick H. said:

On the one hand, I can't argue with the wishes of Terry Pratchett. I imagine he didn't want anyone taking control of the stories and twisting them from what he would have wanted.

On the other hand, how can you destroy unpublished works from Terry Pratchett?!

Having read the expanded Dune universe novels, I kinda wish Frank Herbert had done the same.,,