• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Terry Pratchett's unpublished works crushed by steamroller

Recommended Posts

Sir Topham Hatt    254

hard drive containing unfinished works by Terry Pratchett has been crushed by a steamroller, as per instructions left by the fantasy novelist.

 

It is thought up to 10 incomplete novels were flattened at the Great Dorset Steam Fair.

 

The six-and-a-half tonne Lord Jericho was used to roll over the hard drive several times before a concrete crusher finished off the remains.

Pratchett died aged 66 in March 2015.

 

The creator of the Discworld series had been battling Alzheimer's disease.

 

Before vanquishing the hard drive, Rob Wilkins, the writer's long-serving assistant, tweeted that he was "about to fulfil my obligation to Terry".

 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-41093066

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Human.Online    8,074

So... nobody at any point took a backup, and moreover Pratchett (a man who's own memory was failing, and would probably have considered such things) had no backup plan in place?

 

Yeah, struggling to accept that...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nick H.    9,435

On the one hand, I can't argue with the wishes of Terry Pratchett. I imagine he didn't want anyone taking control of the stories and twisting them from what he would have wanted.

 

On the other hand, how can you destroy unpublished works from Terry Pratchett?!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spikey_richie    211
2 hours ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

So... nobody at any point took a backup, and moreover Pratchett (a man who's own memory was failing, and would probably have considered such things) had no backup plan in place?

 

Yeah, struggling to accept that...

Terry *wanted* the hard drive destroyed, he didn't want anyone else taking his unfinished work and releasing a book in his name/a.n. other name. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Human.Online    8,074

Yes, I read the article.  I know what he wanted.  Doesn't mean it was followed to the letter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brys    2,115

Soooo... how do we know he had only his work on there ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FloatingFatMan    17,577
On 8/30/2017 at 0:00 PM, Nick H. said:

On the one hand, I can't argue with the wishes of Terry Pratchett. I imagine he didn't want anyone taking control of the stories and twisting them from what he would have wanted.

 

On the other hand, how can you destroy unpublished works from Terry Pratchett?!

Having read the expanded Dune universe novels, I kinda wish Frank Herbert had done the same.,,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zagadka    3,995
On 8/30/2017 at 7:07 AM, Brys said:

Soooo... how do we know he had only his work on there ?

Yea, tons and tons of porn, obviously.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.