Man jumps from I-94 bridge trying to flee deputies

A 24-year-old man was in critical condition Wednesday after he jumped from an interstate overpass, falling 25 feet to the road below.

The man jumped after crashing his car during a police chase Tuesday night on I-94 at Highway C.

The man was airlifted to Froedtert Hospital in Wauwatosa after the crash. An 18-year-old passenger in his vehicle, who stayed in the car after the crash, was also injured.

According to the Kenosha County Sheriff’s Department, a deputy attempted to stop a 2004 Nissan 350Z in the 6500 block of southbound I-94 at 8:46 p.m. for having an illegal temporary registration.

But when the deputy activated his squad car’s lights and sirens, the vehicle fled, reaching speeds of up to 100 mph before crashing into the median wall.

The driver ran from the car when it came to a stop. Attempting to flee deputies, he jumped from the I-94 bridge over Highway C, landing on the pavement below and narrowly missing being struck by a vehicle on Highway C that swerved to miss him.

The Sheriff’s Department is not releasing the names of the people involved in the incident, saying the incident remains under investigation.

The driver is facing numerous charges, including operating while intoxicated-second offense, hit-and-run causing injury and felony fleeing.

The roads were closed for three hours for the investigation.

Source