Graphic card

Hi guys,

It's time to get a new graphic card, which one should I choose? Or do you have other suggestions? (shouldn't be more more expensive than these i linked)

The only game that I play is cs 1.6 and support for 3 displays at least.

MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Gaming X HDMI DP 4GB

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 Windforce 2X OC HDMI DP 2xDVI 3GB

Currently I have this card which I bought 2009. :D

@Mockingbird this card is almost twice the price 1050ti in Sweden. :(

Any other suggestion, it doesn't have to be 1060, 1050.

24 minutes ago, nabz0r said:

Currently I have this card which I bought 2009. :D

@Mockingbird this card is almost twice the price 1050ti in Sweden. :(

Any other suggestion, it doesn't have to be 1060, 1050.

Geforce GTX 1060

Radeon RX 580

Radeon RX 570

It depends what you want to do with it. Your question is roughly the same as mine from a year ago :p I ended up buying a 1050Ti GTX 4GB but chose it mainly to quieten my PC as well, I am not a heavy gamer and have an Xbox One S anyway.

I have no complaints with the card. If you're looking exclusively to game with it, then the 1060 is a better choice, but if you just want to upgrade and do some casual gaming, the 1050 will do the trick.

@Steven P. To be honest the only reason I am upgrading is the support of 3 monitors. XD

And the only game I have played my entire life is CS 1.6 thought I haven't been active since 2011 (play probably once a month).

@Mockingbird, thank you for the suggestions. What do you think about this one? Between this and the other 1060, which one do you recommend? 

6 hours ago, nabz0r said:

@Mockingbird, thank you for the suggestions. What do you think about this one? Between this and the other 1060, which one do you recommend? 

It doesn't matter. Just pick the cheapest one.

All Geforce GTX 1060 performs about the same.

On 9/2/2017 at 2:32 AM, nabz0r said:

Hi guys,

It's time to get a new graphic card, which one should I choose? Or do you have other suggestions? (shouldn't be more more expensive than these i linked)

The only game that I play is cs 1.6 and support for 3 displays at least.

MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Gaming X HDMI DP 4GB

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 Windforce 2X OC HDMI DP 2xDVI 3GB

If you can hold your horses WAIT.

Bitcoin miners are impacting the prices and newer cards are being produced as you read this as prices will start to go down soon once supply meets demand. Don't get the 1050 ti. It is a ###### card. Volta is coming early next year and AMD is increasing production too and offer a better value than Nvidia traditionally. Unfortunately ASYNC compute makes mining bitcoins more efficient than Nvidia cards which is why they have skyrocketed in price. If AMD starts producing more cards to meet demands you can save your money with an RX 570/580. The 570 is $199 and is 85% of a 1060/580. 

If AMD can't make them fast enough then get an nvidia. With prices at $5,000 a bitcoin more Chinese farmers are buying in bulk than ever.

If you want, I'll sell you a Zotac 1070 I havd here. It's like new, I upgraded to 1080 shortly after getting it.

CS1.6 doesn't really need that much ... if you don't care about the updated games' requirement, go for 1050Ti for the budget and performance.

I played cs1.6 too but I moved on to some stunning FPS games like battlefield, crysis, call of duty, battleground... so If these game intimate you, go for GTX1060 6GB (3GB version is not worth it, should cause you -10FPS in 1080)

If all you play is Counter-Strike 1.6, then it doesn't make any sense to buy a new video card. And assuming you were to play other games like Doom or Battlefield 1, the GTX 1050 Ti shouldn't even be considered. It's hardly an upgrade over your current GTX 260. You should be looking at the GTX 1060 at the very minimum.

Also, what are your other specs? It's almost always better to save up for an entirely new build rather than upgrade a single component in a really old build.

On 9/3/2017 at 11:31 AM, sinetheo said:

If you can hold your horses WAIT.

Bitcoin miners are impacting the prices and newer cards are being produced as you read this as prices will start to go down soon once supply meets demand. Don't get the 1050 ti. It is a ###### card. Volta is coming early next year and AMD is increasing production too and offer a better value than Nvidia traditionally. Unfortunately ASYNC compute makes mining bitcoins more efficient than Nvidia cards which is why they have skyrocketed in price. If AMD starts producing more cards to meet demands you can save your money with an RX 570/580. The 570 is $199 and is 85% of a 1060/580. 

If AMD can't make them fast enough then get an nvidia. With prices at $5,000 a bitcoin more Chinese farmers are buying in bulk than ever.

The bit about the bitcoin miners is - unfortunately - true - it forced me to stall for a month, and I went with the MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti from Amazon (though because I went with Amazon as both seller AND fulfiller, the issue was more availability - not price).  I also went with the GTX 1050 Ti because it would be paired iwth a dual-core initially (G3258) and I was looking at a single game (while beefier than CS, not much beefier), and it's a city-sim (ANNO 2205 can be quite graphically demanding, while not CPU-demanding).  The other advantage is that I can take it with me TO a new build (which will mean DDR4) and not be hobbled in doing so.  (Amazon's pricing got the GTX 1050 Ti is about $170USD for Prime shoppers - including shipping (two days at worst - I ordered on a Saturday and it was waiting on the doorstoop Monday @ noon EDT).

You have no reason to upgrade your GPU.

If there is no reason to upgrade but there is a desire to upgrade anyways then the sensible upgrade would be a 1070 which has more overall GPU value and therefore longevity which means you can bring it along with you when you do your next computer rebuild.

If you follow that logic, then patseguin's offer is a great idea

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys for the late reply, been busy at work.

Anyway, I sent back the 1050Ti and bought a 1060 3GB instead. Pretty pleased with it. As I said before I am not upgrading to play games, only to be able to use all of my 3 monitors.

@Yusuf M., other specs are pretty OK actually, the only two things I need to upgrade is RAM and an SSD and then I am set for another 5 years. xD

RAM: Corsair XMS3 - 12GB 

MB: ASUS Rampage III Extreme Republic of Gamers

CPU: Intel Core i7 950 / 3.06 GHz processor S-1366

CPU: Cooler Master V8

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932

@patseguin, I am curious on how much you want for your gpu.

17 hours ago, nabz0r said:

Sorry guys for the late reply, been busy at work.

Anyway, I sent back the 1050Ti and bought a 1060 3GB instead. Pretty pleased with it. As I said before I am not upgrading to play games, only to be able to use all of my 3 monitors.

@Yusuf M., other specs are pretty OK actually, the only two things I need to upgrade is RAM and an SSD and then I am set for another 5 years. xD

RAM: Corsair XMS3 - 12GB 

MB: ASUS Rampage III Extreme Republic of Gamers

CPU: Intel Core i7 950 / 3.06 GHz processor S-1366

CPU: Cooler Master V8

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932

@patseguin, I am curious on how much you want for your gpu.

Not sure. Do you think about $300 would be fair? It's the Zotac Founder's Edition. I used it for about 2 weeks and then bought a 1080.

On 9/7/2017 at 4:33 PM, Yusuf M. said:

And assuming you were to play other games like Doom or Battlefield 1, the GTX 1050 Ti shouldn't even be considered. It's hardly an upgrade over your current GTX 260. You should be looking at the GTX 1060 at the very minimum.

The GTX 1050 Ti is an absolutely massive upgrade from a GTX 260, it's over 4x as fast. In both the games you mentioned (Doom / Battlefield 1) the 1050 Ti is capable of maintaining 1080p/60fps on high settings.

6 hours ago, patseguin said:

Not sure. Do you think about $300 would be fair? It's the Zotac Founder's Edition. I used it for about 2 weeks and then bought a 1080.

I guess it would be 300$ plus shipment to Sweden which will cost at least 100$.. If I am not mistaking, I could buy a used one at the same price here in Sweden, thanks anyway I am gonna stick with MSI 1060.

On 9/21/2017 at 1:54 PM, ZakO said:

The GTX 1050 Ti is an absolutely massive upgrade from a GTX 260, it's over 4x as fast. In both the games you mentioned (Doom / Battlefield 1) the 1050 Ti is capable of maintaining 1080p/60fps on high settings.

The GTX 1050Ti is a massive upgrade from GTX 55x or less; the amusing part is, unlike most such cards, it does not (usually) require any more power than is dealt out by the slot itself - in fact, out of all the models  available, a mere three (one each from EVGA, ASUS, and MSI) require the extra power - in all cases for additional cooling oomph; however, there are models with two cooling fans that do NOT require said extra power (examples of which are the EVGA SSC and the MSI GT OC).  However, the mining impact hits the GTX 1050Ti and GTX 1060 (and even the GTX 1070 to a degree) equally - which explains both the pricing and availability shens going on these days.  (The upgrade oomph from GTX 5xx is from personal experience - I upgraded from an EVGA GTX 550Ti - which DID require the extra power - result, game performance is up, and I could actually wind up with a lower (not higher) electric bill - the best sort of win-win.