Are coding bootcamp schools worth it?

Question

sinetheo

I was reading slashdot.org and they had a story on coding bootcamps. I also found this link on rated coding boot camps. I am wondering if anyone on either side of hiring process has experience working with these? Are they a joke and a non starter for any serious junior level programmer or were they a resource? Did anyone attending one felt prepared for the real world and was able to find a job? Did anyone who has hired a graduate had good or bad luck?

Here is my background. I have  years of experience providing desktop support and light Active Directory and Exchange support work. I have a bachelors of business administration with 16 credits in coding and to this day can do simplistic things like control statements, nested data structures, and object oriented programming but that is it. I am not trying to get a $100K a year job or consider myself an expert after a freaking 24 week program. I just want a junior level position where I can combine my existing knowledge with something new and work my way up. 

These are expensive and will come at a great burden. I do not want to waste my time if I do not get a result and just go further in debt and end up having now a hole on my resume.

5 answers to this question

Above The Gods

It's worth it if you already have a high IQ and/or have experience. If you do, make sure to choose the one with the best job placement. If you're dedicated, you can actually get a $100k job in a few years or so if you're living in NYC or SF.

FloatingFatMan

If you're brand new to programming, don't bother.  You cannot learn to code in a 7/14/28 day crash course. At best, you'll learn your way around Visual Studio.

If you're returning to programming after a break, then go for it. They'll make a handy refresher course.

If you're a beginner level programmer already, you're better off with places like Pluralsight or the Microsoft Virtual Academy to get some additional knowledge.  MSVA is free as well, and Pluralsight have quite a lot of free content.

neufuse
32 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

If you're brand new to programming, don't bother.  You cannot learn to code in a 7/14/28 day crash course. At best, you'll learn your way around Visual Studio.

If you're returning to programming after a break, then go for it. They'll make a handy refresher course.

If you're a beginner level programmer already, you're better off with places like Pluralsight or the Microsoft Virtual Academy to get some additional knowledge.  MSVA is free as well, and Pluralsight have quite a lot of free content.

yeah, and heck there are people that have been using IDE's like Visual Studio for many years and still don't know everything it can do.....

Astra.Xtreme

I've been actively looking to hire some programmers, so here's my take on it.

I almost always look for people with a graduate degree in programming.  Granted I'm hiring Software Engineers with embedded microprocessor experience, but I wouldn't rule out a CS major.  Somebody with an IT related degree would almost never make the cut.  UNLESS you have a pretty vast amount of personal experience with programming and could provide examples of projects you've done.  If somebody has done cool stuff with an Arduino or Raspberry Pi, I'll at least bring them in for an interview.  We recently hired someone that was a Biology major but is now working on a CS degree and had done a lot of really cool mobile apps.  We gave her a shot and she's doing great.

So to answer your question, just having a coding bootcamp on your resume likely isn't going to cut it.  You'll be up against people with programming degrees, and you'll need something more to make yourself stand out.  You don't necessarily need to get a new college degree, but at least fill out your resume with freetime projects that show you're passionate about the profession and come with lots of examples to brag about if/when you get interviews.

• Like 1
DevTech
On 10/11/2017 at 11:58 AM, Astra.Xtreme said:

I've been actively looking to hire some programmers, so here's my take on it.

I almost always look for people with a graduate degree in programming.  Granted I'm hiring Software Engineers with embedded microprocessor experience, but I wouldn't rule out a CS major.  Somebody with an IT related degree would almost never make the cut.  UNLESS you have a pretty vast amount of personal experience with programming and could provide examples of projects you've done.  If somebody has done cool stuff with an Arduino or Raspberry Pi, I'll at least bring them in for an interview.  We recently hired someone that was a Biology major but is now working on a CS degree and had done a lot of really cool mobile apps.  We gave her a shot and she's doing great.

So to answer your question, just having a coding bootcamp on your resume likely isn't going to cut it.  You'll be up against people with programming degrees, and you'll need something more to make yourself stand out.  You don't necessarily need to get a new college degree, but at least fill out your resume with freetime projects that show you're passionate about the profession and come with lots of examples to brag about if/when you get interviews.

A great reply and wonderfully informative to future readers. In that vein, I would like to add that there are going to be a very wide range of "hiring criteria" out there.

In the past when I had to hire people, I viewed CS degrees of any sort as a giant negative if there was no evidence of personal time spent on projects that indicated a passion for programming, otherwise the degree compiled to NOP. The code tells all. You can tell at a glance if Johnny knows CS.

The traditional advice to book authors is that to become a good writer you must first be a prolific reader. Then become a prolific writer.

To programmers, read on GitHub, then write on GitHub.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By News Staff
      Black Friday lets you save an additional 70% off eLearning deals and more
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deals comes via our Online Courses section of the Neowin Deals store, where you can save an extra 70% off eLearning deals. That's not all we also have a promo code for 40% off all Apps + Software deals, and a site wide coupon for 20% off everything else.

The Premium Learn to Code 2021 Certification Bundle
      Use code BFSAVE70 for additional 70% The All-In-One AWS, Cisco & CompTIA Super Certification Bundle 2021
      Use code BFSAVE70 for additional 70% The Premium DJing & Music Production Bootcamp Ft. Ableton + Logic Pro X
      Use code BFSAVE70 for additional 70% off The 2020 Adobe Graphic Design Certification School
      Use code BFSAVE70 for additional 70% off The Wall Street Survival & Stock Trading Guide Bundle
      Use code BFSAVE70 for additional 70% off Good to know
      Length of time users can access the courses: lifetime Redemption deadline: redeem your code within 30 days of purchase For terms, certification and instructor info, please click on the course title.

Black Friday Coupons:
      Use code BFSAVE20 for an additional 20% off site wide with what's not covered below. Use code BFSAVE40 for an additional 40% off all Apps + Software Use code BFSAVE70 for an additional 70% off all Online Courses Apply any one of the above coupons when checking out to save!

>> Shop now at Neowin Deals <<
      See all Online Courses on offer. This is a time limited deal.
      Get $1 credit for every $25 spent · Give $10, Get $10 · 10% off for first-time buyers.

Not for you?
      That's OK, there are other deals on offer you can check out here, but be aware that these are all time-limited offers. If you are uncomfortable sharing your details with a third-party sponsor, we understand. Check out the Neowin Store for our preferred partners.

The Win Your Dream 2020 Tesla Model 3 Giveaway Ivacy VPN - 5 year subscription for just $1 per month NordVPN - 2 year subscription at up to 68% off Private Internet Access VPN - subscriptions at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS - unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Subscribe to Neowin - for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Disable Sponsored posts · Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs.

• By News Staff
      Pay What Want for this Mini Coding 101 Bundle
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes via our Online Courses section of the Neowin Deals store, where for only a limited time you can Pay What You Want for the Mini Coding 101 Bundle. Study JavaScript and jQuery—The web's most essential language and framework.

What's the deal?
      With the Pay What You Want bundles, you can get something incredible for as little as you want to pay. And if you beat the average price, you’ll receive the fully upgraded bundle! Included in this Pay What You Want deal, are the following course:

Pay What You Want (equal or over the average price) for the following item:

jQuery for Beginner

Most of the impressive websites you visit daily utilize the powerful jQuery framework, and now you can too. This course teaches you to create powerful, impressive visual effects, interface widgets, and more in order to build dynamic, pro-quality sites.

Access 24 lectures & 3 hours of content 24/7 Code along side the instructor to get hands-on experience Retain the material presented in the course w/ engaging lab exercises Build dynamic effects & site features with jQuery Guarantee that your site will perform the same on all browsers Create a powerful interface What's the benefit?
      The bundle represents an overall retail value of $199 Beat the average price and you'll take home the entire bundle. You may be interested in the full Pay What You Want Coding 101 bundle, which includes an additional 9 courses that you can unlock.

Qualify for the giveaway!
      Beat the Leader's price and get entered into the epic giveaway - plus get featured on the Leaderboard!

>> See the average price for this Mini Coding 101 Bundle <<
      See other Pay What You Want deals. This is a time-limited deal.
      Get $1 credit for every $25 spent · Give $10, Get $10 · 10% off for first-time buyers.

Not for you?
      That's OK, there are other deals on offer you can check out here, but be aware that these are all time-limited offers. If you are uncomfortable sharing your details with a third-party sponsor, we understand. Check out the Neowin Store for our preferred partners.

The Win Your Dream 2020 Tesla Model 3 Giveaway Ivacy VPN - 5 year subscription for just $1 per month NordVPN - 2-year plan 68% off +3 months for free (total of 27 months) Private Internet Access VPN - 3 year plan at 86% off ($2.19/month) Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS - unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Subscribe to Neowin - for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Disable Sponsored posts · Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs.

• By zikalify
      Python replaces Java as second most popular language
      by Paul Hill

The TIOBE Index has been updated for the month of November and it has ranked Python as the second most popular programming language overtaking Java. C has held onto its first-place position and even saw a slight increase in its popularity compared to last month.

Peter Jansen, the CEO of TIOBE Software which runs the TIOBE Index, said that for the first time in nearly 20 years, C and Java don’t make up the top two positions. Jansen said that people put Python’s popularity down to “booming” fields such as data mining, AI and numerical computing but Jansen feels as though Python’s popularity is more to do with general demand.

Explaining the situation a bit more, he said:

The TIOBE Index is useful for those wanting to know whether their programming skills are up to date, it can also help you decide which programming languages to use when beginning a new project. Ratings are updated once a month and are based on the number of skilled engineers worldwide, courses and third-party vendors as well as search engine results.

It’s not clear yet whether Python will replace C as the number one language but since the end of 2017 it has been sharply increasing in popularity, C, on the other hand, is in a slow decline.

• By News Staff
      Save 94% off the cost of this Essential PHP Coding Bundle
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes via our Online Courses section of the Neowin Deals store, where for only a limited time, you can save 94% off this Essential PHP Coding Bundle. Get started in web development by learning the fundamentals of PHP coding and practicing object-oriented programming.

This bundle consists of the following courses:

Fundamentals of PHP Training Course
      Learn the Basic Programming Concepts in the Most Popularly Used Server-Side Programming Language PHP Development with the Laravel Framework Training Course
      Develop Homepages, Create Accounts & Activate Emails Using the Open-Source Laravel PHP Framework PHP Object Oriented Programming: Build a Login System Training Course
      Create an R/L System Using PHP & OOP Together Python Object Oriented Programming Fundamentals Training Course
      Create Advanced & Easily Maintainable Python Applications with Object-Oriented Programming Good to know
      Length of time users can access this course: 1 Year Certification of completion included Redemption deadline: redeem your code within 30 days of purchase For specifications and instructor info please click here.

Here's the deal:
      This Essential PHP Coding Bundle normally costs* $516, but it can be yours for just $29.99 for a limited time, that's a saving of $486.01 (94%).

>> Get this deal, or learn more about it here <<
      See all Online Courses on offer. This is a time-limited offer that ends soon.

Not for you?
      If this offer doesn't interest you, why not check out the following offers:

The Win Your Dream 2020 Tesla Model 3 Giveaway
      20% off Ivacy VPN subscription with coupon code IVACY20 NordVPN subscription at up to 68% off for a 2 year plan Private Internet Access VPN subscription at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Disable Sponsored posts · Other recent deals · Preferred partner software

• By News Staff
      Save 96% off this Complete Ruby on Rails 6 Bootcamp Certification Bundle
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes via our Online Courses section of the Neowin Deals website, where for only a limited time you can save 96% off the Complete Ruby on Rails 6 Bootcamp Certification Bundle. Build sophisticated websites & apps in no time with 42 hours of content on Ruby Rails programming, WebDev, ActionCable, and more.

This bundle consists of the following courses:

2020 Complete Ruby on Rails 6 Bootcamp
      Start From the Basics of Ruby on Rails & Go All the Way to Creating Your Own Applications Programming & Ruby Basics
      Acquire the Essential Ruby Programming Skills & Build Feature-Rich Web Apps from Scratch Web App Development Fundamentals with Ruby on Rails 6
      Unleash Your Creativity & Make Innovative Web Apps with Ruby on Rails Intermediate Ruby on Rails 6
      External APIs, Ajax, JavaScript, Managing Security Credentials & More with Ruby on Rails 6 ActionCable & Real-Time Features with Ruby on Rails
      Explore Real-Time Chatroom & Comments Feature Using ActionCable Good to know
      Certification of completion included Length of time users can access this course: lifetime Redemption deadline: redeem your code within 30 days of purchase For a full description, terms, and instructor info, click here.

Here's the deal:
      This Complete Ruby on Rails 6 Bootcamp Certification Bundle normally costs $1000, but you can pick it up for just $35.99 for a limited time - that represents a saving of $964.01 (96%) off!

>> Click here to purchase, or learn more about it <<
      See all discounted Online Courses on offer. This is a time-limited deal.

Not for you?
      If this offer doesn't interest you, why not check out the following offers:

The Win Your Dream 2020 Tesla Model 3 Giveaway
      The Nintendo Gaming Bundle Giveaway 20% off Ivacy VPN subscription with coupon code IVACY20 NordVPN subscription at up to 68% off for a 2 year plan Private Internet Access VPN subscription at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Disable Sponsored posts · Other recent deals · Preferred partner software