Hurricane Irma

West Palm Beach reporting in. Apparently we're going to get smacked. I was able to salvage a generator this morning for just $200 and filled up gas cans for my entire family. Between my mother-in-law absolutely freaking out and my parents living in a wood frame house, I'm at my nerve's end.

@Bryan R.  I think you should do what I'm trying to convince my parents to do, if tomorrow the forecast is still really bad for us, then try and convince them to go to a local shelter, even in a strong house I rather not risk, the toughest part for me is convincing my elderly parents to go to the shelter, since we have passed all previous hurricanes in the house without major issues, they think this monster is the same, I really have a bad feeling about this one.

7 hours ago, Bryan R. said:

West Palm Beach reporting in. Apparently we're going to get smacked. I was able to salvage a generator this morning for just $200 and filled up gas cans for my entire family. Between my mother-in-law absolutely freaking out and my parents living in a wood frame house, I'm at my nerve's end.

Sorry to hear that man.  Be safe and don't take any chances!  Make sure you report in when you can!

image2.thumb.jpg.91df9a4db5273eb25bfc27502c76cf4b.jpg

From Weather Underground:

Hurricane Irma weakened from Category 5 to Category 4 strength on Friday morning, but still represents an extreme danger to much of Southern Florida, as well as portions of northern Cuba and the southernmost Bahama Islands. If you live by the coast in an area that that been ordered to evacuate due to storm surge, get out now if you can safely do so. In the U.S., the worst of the storm will be felt in South Florida. The Florida Keys will take the full force of the storm, with Category 3 or 4 winds and a dangerous storm surge of up to 10 feet. Southwest Florida is expected to see a storm surge of 6 - 12 feet. Category 2 winds will potentially affect the east coast of Florida from Miami to West Palm Beach, and the west coast of Florida from the Keys to at least Naples. There is more than a 30% chance that Category 1 hurricane-force winds may affect the Florida west coast from Naples to Tampa, and the Florida east coast north of West Palm Beach, as well as the Orlando area (Figure 1.) A large and dangerous storm surge is likely to affect the entire east coast of Florida, and well as Georgia and South Carolina. The surge may exceed the records set last year during Hurricane Matthew.

Irma has been upgraded to a Cat 5 again...

At 1100 PM EDT (0300 UTC), the center of Hurricane Irma was located near latitude 22.1 North, longitude 77.7 West. Irma is moving toward the west near 13 mph (20 km/h). A turn toward the northwest is expected by late Saturday. On the forecast track, the center of Irma will move near the north coast of Cuba through Saturday, near the Florida Keys Sunday morning, and then near the southwest coast of Florida Sunday afternoon. Data from an Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter aircraft indicate that maximum sustained winds have increased to near 160 mph (260 km/h) with higher gusts. Irma is once again a category 5 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale.

Some fluctuations in intensity are likely during the next day or two, but Irma is expected to remain a powerful hurricane as it approaches Florida.

Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 70 miles (110 km) from the center, and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 185 miles (295 km). The estimated minimum central pressure is 924 mb (27.29 inches).

NOAA

Florida-bound Hurricane Irma strengthens back into a Category 5 as it makes landfall in Cuba

Hurricane Irma strengthened back into a Category 5 storm Friday night as it made landfall on the Camaguey Archipelago of Cuba with maximum sustained winds of 160 mph, according to the National Hurricane Center.

As of 11 p.m. ET, Irma was about 300 miles from Miami and moving about 13 mph toward the west, the National Hurricane Center said.

Hurricane Irma is forecast to hit the Florida Keys as a Category 5 storm.

Meteorologists expect Irma to make landfall in the Keys between 5 a.m. and 7 a.m. ET on Sunday. Overnight projections of Irma's path showed less of a threat to the Carolinas as the monster storm appeared likely to move directly up the middle of Florida and curve inland.

/snip

ABC News

On 9/8/2017 at 5:15 AM, Bryan R. said:

I think you, and @Ely and anyone else in the path of this monster needs to leave, ASAP.  Please don't stay in harms way if you don't have too.  Property can be replaced, lives can not.

Stay safe and best of luck.

At 800 AM EDT (1200 UTC), the eye of Hurricane Irma was located by a reconnaissance plane and Cuban radars near latitude 22.6 North, longitude 79.5 West. Irma is moving toward the west near 12 mph (19 km/h), along the north coast of Cuba. A northwest motion is expected to begin later today with a turn toward the north-northwest tonight or on Sunday. On the forecast track, the core of Irma will continue to move near or over the north coast of Cuba this morning, and will reach the Florida Keys Sunday morning. The hurricane is expected to be near the southwest coast of Florida Sunday afternoon.

The interaction with the terrain of Cuba has weakened the hurricane a little. Maximum sustained winds have decreased to near 130 mph (215 km/h) with higher gusts, but Irma remains a category 4 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale. Irma is forecast to restrengthen once it moves away from Cuba, and Irma is expected to remain a powerful hurricane as it approaches Florida.

NOAA

Hurricane Irma blasts Cuba after leveling Caribbean islands

Caibarién, Cuba (CNN)Hurricane Irma slammed northern Cuba on Saturday, continuing its path of devastation through the Caribbean towards the US state of Florida.

A string of small islands to the east have been left reeling in the wake of the massive hurricane, which strengthened to a Category 5 storm as it made landfall in Cuba overnight, before being slightly downgraded to a Category 4 storm early Saturday.

At least 24 people are known to have died in the Caribbean as a result of Irma. Many islands are still assessing the damage even as they try to prepare for the arrival of another major storm, Hurricane Jose.

St. Martin/St. Maarten and St. Barthélemy, also known as St. Barts, remain under a hurricane warning for Jose, expected to blast close by the northern Leeward Islands on Saturday afternoon local time as a Category 4 hurricane. However, Barbuda and Anguilla now appear in less danger, having been downgraded to a tropical storm warning by forecasters.

/snip

CNN

image2.jpg

My mom just retired to Apollo Beach (South of Tampa and on Tampa Bay) a few weeks ago and left last night for a hotel in Pensacola. The drive was supposed to take 8 hours but instead took her all night and into mid-morning. She said traffic was horrendous.

Hello Everyone. Everyone stay safe. Prayers are with everyone. I'm in South Central Florida, i.e. Sebring. I have an exercise route I walk daily late at night or rather early morning. It will be interesting to see if I can get it in this early Sunday and Monday mornings as I usually do around the lake and vicinity.  It was a nice walk this morning. Rain doesn't bother me, just lightning and and having to dodge 2x4's. Parents are here in Sebring also, so this will be a family adventure as I spend the next couple of nights with them to assist them in whatever may come, if anything.

###### just got real, Wal-Mart is closing at 1700 today and not re-opening until Tuesday! So far though we have not had anything from the hurricane, but we're getting rain from a Noreastern and lots of wind as well.

17 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

###### just got real, Wal-Mart is closing at 1700 today and not re-opening until Tuesday! So far though we have not had anything from the hurricane, but we're getting rain from a Noreastern and lots of wind as well.

Are the waffle houses still open? That is when you know it is really "real"

21 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Are the waffle houses still open? That is when you know it is really "real"

I don't know, I have not ventured out of the area today, too much rain/wind!

7 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I don't know, I have not ventured out of the area today, too much rain/wind!

Ahh. Well stay safe!

54 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

A Nor'easter is macro-scale cyclone, the rain we are getting today is just being fed by the hurricanes outer north most band, and the regular sea-breeze we get every day in Florida. There is no cyclonic properties to the weather system off of the east coast of the state/Jacksonville etc.

Jacksonville will see 40-65 sustained , with some gusts at 70-80mph. That's with the current info if he stays on the track it is on, but it is moving west still and won't take a WNW movement for another few hours.

38 minutes ago, xendrome said:

A Nor'easter is macro-scale cyclone, the rain we are getting today is just being fed by the hurricanes outer north most band, and the regular sea-breeze we get every day in Florida. There is no cyclonic properties to the weather system off of the east coast of the state/Jacksonville etc.

Jacksonville will see 40-65 sustained , with some gusts at 70-80mph. That's with the current info if he stays on the track it is on, but it is moving west still and won't take a WNW movement for another few hours.

2017-09-09_17-48-01.thumb.png.111c289cdd1fa6c38e402e6244f83854.png

32 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

2017-09-09_17-48-01.thumb.png.111c289cdd1fa6c38e402e6244f83854.png

It's called a Nor'Easter, It has to have some type of spinning cyclonic motion to it, that has been moving from west to east all day, no spinning activity at all.

Seems its going to more more to the west of us than previously thought - which is good and bad for us I guess. Good we won't be in the eyewall anymore but bad  that we might get more tornadoes than usual because of the NE quadrant of the storm we'll be soaked in. Right now, its just really rainy, occasionally kinda windy AND some really loud thunder (and maybe some hail earlier). We had 2 tornado warnings in the past 2 hours already though.

34 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Weatherwatch on youtube is reporting as many as 18 million people are in danger, 100mph+ speeds of debri filled wind.  Florida residents, stay safe, evacuate if you still have time

Still don't know what the storm is going to do for our area, but we are prepared, even though we're not in an evacuation zone, we're not taking any chances, we've got canned goods, candles, and water.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

The good news is that it looks like Hurricane Irma is going to miss Miami, Fort Lauderdale, and West Palm Beach.

How can it miss ?  Its huge.

I wont pray, it does nothing.  But, I hope everyone in its path is smart, and gets out of its path.  Protect your loved ones, protect your pets - and forget about possessions.  Be smart.

• Like 2