Hurricane Irma

11 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

How can it miss ?  Its huge.

I wont pray, it does nothing.  But, I hope everyone in its path is smart, and gets out of its path.  Protect your loved ones, protect your pets - and forget about possessions.  Be smart.

What I am saying is that those areas are far enough from the eye that they are only experiencing tropical storm wind instead of hurricane wind.

Yeah, depending on the exact track the eye takes now, it looks like we'll just get very heavy rain, some tropical storm force winds (and hurricane force gusts here and there) and tornadoes. But Irma could still wobble to the east more now (it seems to want to do that in the past few frames of the radar from Miami) and hit us. We'll see soon enough.

My parents have a "vacation home" in Miami.

Long before I was born, they managed to ride out Hurricane Andrew somehow.

I guess we will see if the house survives this one.

Edited by Mockingbird

At 800 AM EDT (1200 UTC), the center of Hurricane Irma was located near latitude 24.5 North, longitude 81.5 West. Irma is moving toward the north-northwest near 8 mph (13 km/h), and an increase in forward speed is expected later today, with that motion continuing through Monday. On the forecast track, the eye of Irma should move over the Lower Florida Keys shortly, and then move near or over the west coast of the Florida Peninsula later today through tonight. Irma should then move inland over northern Florida and southwestern Georgia Monday afternoon.

Maximum sustained winds are near 130 mph (215 km/h) with higher gusts. Irma is a category 4 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale. While weakening is forecast, Irma is expected to remain a powerful hurricane while it moves through the Florida Keys and near the west coast of Florida.

Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 80 miles (130 km) from the center and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 220 miles (350 km). A wind gust to 89 mph (143 km/h) was recently measured at the Key West National Weather Service Forecast Office. Sustained winds of 46 mph (74 km/h) with a gust to 72 mph (117 km/h) was recently reported at Tamiami Airport in West Kendall, Florida.

NOAA

Latest Updates as compiled by CNN

Here are the latest developments:

-- More than 423,000 electric customers are without power, Florida Power and Light said Sunday.

-- A majority of those who lost power are in Monroe County, where Key West is, and Miami-Dade County.

-- A storm surge warning wraps around the state, from Brevard County to Tampa Bay.

-- More than 72,000 people have moved into more than 390 shelters across the state, the governor's office said.

-- At least 24 deaths have been blamed on Irma in the Caribbean islands, where it hit fast before marching toward Florida.

CNN

Reports: Strengthening Irma closes in on Florida Keys with catastrophic wind, storm surge

Hurricane-force winds, tornado warnings and surpassed rainfall records have already unfolded as a result of Hurricane Irma across Key West and southern Florida.

With this major hurricane bearing down on the state, the time for preparations has ended for residents in Irma's path.

Florida Gov. Rick Scott warned that Irma is “a deadly storm and our state has never seen anything like it. Once the storm starts, law enforcement cannot save you."

Irma is expected to make landfall as a Category 4 hurricane just east of Key West around 8 a.m. Sunday.

Ferocious winds will not only knock out power for days, and possibly weeks in some areas, but also threaten catastrophic damage. Gusts of 100-160 mph will blast southern Florida.

In total, 7 million people were urged to evacuate ahead of Hurricane Irma, which is the largest evacuation in United States history. Nearly 6.3 million people have been asked to evacuate Florida, which is more than 30 percent of the state's population.

AccuWeather

Live tracking from ABC Action News

...the storm tracked a little further west than what I would have liked.  Suspect tropical storm like conditions here tomorrow /sigh.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

What I am saying is that those areas are far enough from the eye that they are only experiencing tropical storm wind instead of hurricane wind.

That's totally not true.. the north east side of the storm is the worst, besides the center this is where you get the highest winds along with tornados spawning. Miami will have 75+ winds, sustained. There are actually wind gusts right now coming in reported at 100+

• Like 1

This is the last and most current piece of 'news' from my twitter feed

Some others have claimed the winds and small debris are stripping paint. I can only imagine how dangerous it is going to be, stay safe, possessions can be replaced.

100mph gusts in  Miami

49 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

This is the last and most current piece of 'news' from my twitter feed

Some others have claimed the winds and small debris are stripping paint. I can only imagine how dangerous it is going to be, stay safe, possessions can be replaced.

BTW that is not downtown.. that's at an inlet and it's waterfront.

Edited by Jim K

Let's keep on subject with instigating anything.  :)

That Miami storm surge though ...  :o

Jose behind Irma ... almost like bring your baby hurricane to work with you.  Luckily, I do not believe, Jose will hit anything and is projected to keep moving north away from the Caribbean Islands and sputter out.  

Edited by Jim K

West Palm Beach here, it's been howling all night. It's suppose to start peaking now, 2pm until 9pm local. Power is still on so enjoying all first-world amenities while I can :)

Since the shift to the west coast, I'm happy my parents are safe. I also have family in Naples though. They are under mandatory evacuation and are staying with some friends 4' higher.

not sure why but if you are watching any of the live streams on youtube the chat on the right is getting spammed 100% by idiots who have some weird thing with calling everything fake every few seconds...

so i hope their power goes out to shut them up.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Slarlac249 said:

not sure why but if you are watching any of the live streams on youtube the chat on the right is getting spammed 100% by idiots who have some weird thing with calling everything fake every few seconds...

so i hope their power goes out to shut them up.

Some of the live news channels have disabled the comments section.

Trouble is, retards who don't live anywhere near the devastation that is ongoing, simply don't care.

Bit like when the Manchester arena was bombed, the amount of call outs for it being fake was incredible, to the point I was considering responding to them with something I would have regretted afterwards.

Question.

I understand the category has been downgraded to cat 3 (according to BBC news) but for those who live near airports etc...

What do they do with all the planes? Do they have to be repositioned to face into the wind etc..? 

(Or is this just an urban legend?)

1 hour ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Some of the live news channels have disabled the comments section.

Trouble is, retards who don't live anywhere near the devastation that is ongoing, simply don't care.

Bit like when the Manchester arena was bombed, the amount of call outs for it being fake was incredible, to the point I was considering responding to them with something I would have regretted afterwards.

Well on the live feeds the chats are pretty worthless anyway as the text goes by a million miles per hour.

5 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Question.

I understand the category has been downgraded to cat 3 (according to BBC news) but for those who live near airports etc...

What do they do with all the planes? Do they have to be repositioned to face into the wind etc..? 

hmmmm interesting question

14 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

Currently sat in my motel room on International Drive. It's kicking off all over the place! This is crazy but all sorts of exciting!

A few hours ago before it all went mental

IMG_1278.JPG

where exactly?!!?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

Currently sat in my motel room on International Drive. It's kicking off all over the place! This is crazy but all sorts of exciting!

A few hours ago before it all went mental

IMG_1278.JPG

The wind has blown you onto your side...  Does it hurt??   ;)

Your EconoLodge?

W8SjKV1.jpg

9 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Question.

Often the planes are flown out of harm's way.

• Like 2

So, power went out with the first big band of heavy rain and wind shortly after midnight or so Saturday going into Sunday morning. Just got power back on a few minutes ago. Really expected to be without power a little longer, but hey I ain't complaining. It got pretty dicey yesterday during the day as the hurricane got to its closest point to us. I'd say we def. saw hurricane force wind gusts over 100 mph at times, but mostly sustained tropical storm force winds all day into the night. Debris every where outside though. A large tree cracked in half, and literally just missed our little villa area here. Across the street a neighbors roof is gone on one side (looks like the south facing side). Still, it could have been a lot worse all in all. Just glad its over now, and I hope things go as quickly for the keys and south miami etc.

• Like 2