Replacement for Outlook and Mail

Question

I'm looking for something a little more meaty than just the Mail app as it's a bit boring.

I have access to Outlook, which would be great!  However, when sending mail, it sends "blah@blah.com on behalf of blah@newmail.com" which I can't fix - I use Outlook.com as my actual address but send mail as another address.  Can do this on the web version with no problems, but the Outlook program affixes the old "on behalf of" and I can't seem to fix it.

Any other mail apps I should take a look at (free)?

18 answers to this question

I guess, you might have two "SMTP" accounts, I don't use outlook (outlook program and outlook web) so can't tell you exactly where to look, but you should check the advance setting in SMTP, and delete the SMTP setting which you think is "blah.com"

On 9/7/2017 at 6:36 AM, Sir Topham Hatt said:

I'm looking for something a little more meaty than just the Mail app as it's a bit boring.

I have access to Outlook, which would be great!  However, when sending mail, it sends "blah@blah.com on behalf of blah@newmail.com" which I can't fix - I use Outlook.com as my actual address but send mail as another address.  Can do this on the web version with no problems, but the Outlook program affixes the old "on behalf of" and I can't seem to fix it.

Have you looked into Thunderbird?

Just now, The Evil Overlord said:

Added 60gig to my ssd when it finally downloaded all of my business emails, and I didn't even want them downloaded.

How many messages was that, and did they have attachments? I must admit I have never had that kind of problem.

4 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Hundreds, and yes.

I got rid of it and went back to browser email.

My current profile in Thunderbird has 5 accounts that I check, and is only a bit over 1 GB. But I can understand completely why you went back, I just hate web based email!

Just now, jnelsoninjax said:

My current profile in Thunderbird has 5 accounts that I check, and is only a bit over 1 GB. But I can understand completely why you went back, I just hate web based email!

I should have added this to my previous post, I work (self employed) in art, so attachments are the norm.

1 hour ago, The Evil Overlord said:

I should have added this to my previous post, I work (self employed) in art, so attachments are the norm.

pron is art now? :p 

tbh outside of work i dont use any mail clients, i find windows mail client in 10 gash, thunderbird was ok as an alternative. i just use outlook.com and gmail, and have my ISP linked mail address autoforwarding to gmail.

in work mode i use 2 clients, outlook 2016 and Lotus/IBM Notes as its been rebranded to. (lotus is a long story, we have FDA approved 21CFR CAPA DB systems i manage)

you could always try and source a copy of Lotus notes, still a decent mail client (if a bit chunky just for mail client use) and free for personal use these days. It aint the prettiest. 9.0.1 is still the most current.

https://vowe.net/archives/011655.html

yup Im an IBM certed Lotus domino/notes admin for my sins.  :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/7/2017 at 8:36 PM, Sir Topham Hatt said:

I've had this exact problem.  I looked for something as good as Outlook, but gave up and just went back to my default company SMTP.  I get why Outlook does it, but it's a PITA.

Quick Google (Apparently I was too high when I looked last time): https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-remove-on-behalf-of-in-outlook

Might help us both!

20 hours ago, Sir Topham Hatt said:

Yeah, I saw that but since Windows 10, there's no "Administrative Tools" option :/

there is but if your PC is not a domain client, it wont have AD U&C applet in ADM tools.

• Win key & R 
  • type control panel
  • hit enter
  • select Administrative Tools shortcut

adm.thumb.jpg.88356ecfa21de9ab6b25172c41f8e0d5.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/9/2017 at 1:14 AM, The Evil Overlord said:

Added 60gig to my ssd when it finally downloaded all of my business emails, and I didn't even want them downloaded.

You should use "iMAP" when you configure your email in any Email Client.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sir Topham Hatt said:

No, I don't think it is a domain client.

Back to square one?

if its not a work issued PC and you dont log in as <name of domain\<username> then no, its a workgroup, not a domain.

easy way to check is look at system properties. 

Under computer name, domain and workgroup.

Yeah, I named mine "Workgroup"

BOOO.  It's funny as you can set this in Outlook.com easily but Outlook the program - hugely difficult and as yet, no solution for the home user.

2 hours ago, Sir Topham Hatt said:

Yeah, I named mine "Workgroup"

BOOO.  It's funny as you can set this in Outlook.com easily but Outlook the program - hugely difficult and as yet, no solution for the home user.

tbh mate, although they sell office with outlook to domestic customers, its really the partner to MS exchange, which is part of the corporate suite.

might be worth seeing if any of these fit the bill buddy.

https://www.1and1.com/digitalguide/e-mail/technical-matters/free-alternatives-to-microsoft-outlook/

If you give me some more info on the "on behalf of" or "sending as" , I might be able to suggest a path which will remove it.

You can send me all of the personal info in a PM

I would need:

email addy
SMTP
your normal SMTP (when it doesnt say "on behalf of"), etc

There might be  a way to resolve that, of course there is an easy way to resolve that but it involves spending a tiny amount of money...