Win 7 "BlueScreen" crashes

3 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

I'm wondering if dying (failing) hardware could also be the cause....

Or overheating Nvidia 600-series GPU. Mine did that after a mere 18 months.

• Like 1

I would add go into your Facebook settings (on your phone if the PC is crashing everytime) and disable videos automatically playing. Which browser are you using also? Is it doing it on Chrome with it's inbuilt flash or is it on Edge/IE?

17 hours ago, Mando said:

yep update BIOS if there is a new revision and reinstall Nvidia drivers. 

On dells its so easy, download the latest bios via entering your dell service tag, the downloaded bios updater will tell you current BIOS Rev and the new rev supplied with the updater. 

Thanks, experts!

McAfee scanned for malware when reinstalling LifeSave. None found.

I use Firefox but have IE available. I may try Facebook through IE later.

I'm now working on a poor download speed problem (probably the modem) and will get to reinstalling the NVIDIA drivers and updating BIOS when this is fixed.

How about disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox??

options --> general --> uncheck "use recommended performance settings" --> uncheck "use hardware acceleration when available" restart Firefox and visit Facebook to see what happens (if problem still persists revert changes).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Howard Davis said:

Thanks, experts!

I'm now working on a poor download speed problem (probably the modem) and will get to reinstalling the NVIDIA drivers and updating BIOS when this is fixed.

your welcome, hope you get to the bottom of it :)

4 hours ago, Howard Davis said:

Thanks, experts!

- Download PatchMyPC and update everything it finds to be out of date - https://patchmypc.net/

- By selecting a check box, you can also install new programs via PatchMyPC which is fast and convenient and all the programs in their list have been vetted as safe.

- Do a virus scan with a 2nd virus program. Just using one will miss things, particularly when a virus has already "owned" your current program. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware can perform a reasonable "2nd opinion" scan.

- Make sure Firefox is updated to latest version - you can use PatchMyPC to update it.

- install Chrome as a 2nd browser alternative to Firefox - IE is only good for some rare special cases.  - you can use PatchMyPC to install it.

- Given your pattern of not updating anything, your media codecs are probably a mess. It is impossible to get a room full of experts to agree on a codec install procedure. For me, the "KLite Mega Codec" package has finally got its act together in 2017 and painlessly solves all normal media playing issues with its default install  - you can use PatchMyPC to install it.

- DO NOT download any system fixes or updates (other than Microsoft) that are not mentioned by people here at Neowin. There is a ton of really bad software with virus and spyware payloads pretending to be system reair or tune-up programs. Ignore any websites claiming you have a security problem and need to download something to fix it. Ideally, only install stuff with PatchMyPC

• Like 2

Thanks to all that have responded here.

I logged onto Facebook using IE instead of Firefox, and experienced no crash or any other problem in over a half hour on the site. This lends credence to the possibility my Firefox browser is the source of the trouble.

If I download a new version of Firefox, would I lose my favorites and bookmarks? Would merely doing an update be as good as a new download in eliminating any corrupt files that may be causing the crashes?

PatchMyPC found only one thing (Filezilla) out of date, and I updated it. Thank you for recommending this to me.

Firefox is said to be up to date, but of course that doesn't rule out any possible corrupt files. The Flash plugins are also up to date.

At this point I am unsure whether or not to undertake the job of uninstalling/downloading/installing the NVIDIA driver. I'll wait to see if another crash occurs.

I will disable autoplay of videos on Facebook.

I have heard a number of negative things about Chrome, mostly regarding security, so am not downloading it. If IE works for Facebook, I'll use it.

you should be able to back up your favourites, and I believe there is an option to import from ie onto the new firefox.

to the best of my knowledge I don't believe it'll delete your favourites BUT and it is a big but, (lol big butt) I have only ever updated firefox, and have never uninstalled then re installed it

(win7 x64)

On ‎16‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 1:09 AM, Howard Davis said:

If IE works for Facebook, I'll use it.

ie has been my only browser of choice since xp, I've lived through all the troll comments and heartache of it's previous versions, I keep firefox and lunascape as back up browsers (you never know)

As advised, I disabled the automatic play of videos on Facebook.  For two days I logged onto Facebook with IE and had no problems during an hour or so on the site. Today I tried using Firefox for Facebook again, and had a bluescreen crash within a minute or two! I do not get these crashes under any other circumstances, so I must suspect Firefox. What to do? I do not want to uninstall and reinstall, as I probably would lose my favorites and bookmarks. How do I back these files up prior to uninstalling Firefox?

10 minutes ago, Howard Davis said:

As advised, I disabled the automatic play of videos on Facebook.  For two days I logged onto Facebook with IE and had no problems during an hour or so on the site. Today I tried using Firefox for Facebook again, and had a bluescreen crash within a minute or two! I do not get these crashes under any other circumstances, so I must suspect Firefox. What to do? I do not want to uninstall and reinstall, as I probably would lose my favorites and bookmarks. How do I back these files up prior to uninstalling Firefox?

A Bluescreen is a serious defect warning. It should be impossible for a non-system application program like Firefox to cause a Bluescreen. Even if re-installing it worked, you are putting a band-aid on a seriously deep wound.

The simplest test if you are running the 32 bit version of Firefox is just to install the 64 bit version. PatchMyPc can do that. It will keep all your settings.

You can backup Firefox Bookmarks by going to 

>>>>>> the bookmarks icon on the toolbar (next to the blue star) 

>>>>>> Show all bookmarks 

>>>>>> Import and Backup

you can choose Backup to export bookmarks to a .JSON file (readable by Firefox only)

or Export Bookmarks to HTML  to export them to an HTML file (can be viewed by any browser)

You can try an older version of NVIDIA driver. They are usually more stable with older GPU . For example you can try version 347.88

If you are experiencing system-wide crashes from tasks that require some GPU acceleration  

>>> like GPU decoded HD video playback , online when using Youtube or locally using a media player with video Codecs installed , like K-Lite Mega or LAV Filters

>>> or doing light image editing 

you may have to look into your PSU ( power supply) .

Install your GPU in another PC and see if the same thing happens

Hope this helps

Edited by hodaaort

Thanks - I saved the Firefox bookmarks to desktop should it be needed.

Have had no blue-screen crashes when on YouTube or due to anything other than going to Facebook on Firefox (only).  Facebook causes no crashes when using IE.

Patch My PC shows an up to date Firefox 55.0.3 (x64) and a Firefox 55.0.3 (x86), which was updated.

Frankly, I know nothing about GPU.

I suppose I could live with the computer as is. Using IE for Firefox, all seems OK.

15 minutes ago, Howard Davis said:

Thanks - I saved the Firefox bookmarks to desktop should it be needed.

Have had no blue-screen crashes when on YouTube or due to anything other than going to Facebook on Firefox (only).  Facebook causes no crashes when using IE.

Patch My PC shows an up to date Firefox 55.0.3 (x64) and a Firefox 55.0.3 (x86), which was updated.

Frankly, I know nothing about GPU.

I suppose I could live with the computer as is. Using IE for Firefox, all seems OK.

You could download lunascape6 orion, then add in the firefox engine, and see how you get on..

15 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

You could download lunascape6 orion, then add in the firefox engine, and see how you get on..

I see no need to get a third browser. IE handles Facebook with no problems other than the spellcheck does not work. Firefox seems fine for everything else I use it for.

At this point, with this Dell now past 3 years of age, I think I'll just spare myself the time and hassles of changing/updating drivers, etc. and work around the computer's idiosyncrasies until the hard drive goes and it's time for a new computer. 

1 hour ago, Howard Davis said:

I see no need to get a third browser. IE handles Facebook with no problems other than the spellcheck does not work. Firefox seems fine for everything else I use it for.

At this point, with this Dell now past 3 years of age, I think I'll just spare myself the time and hassles of changing/updating drivers, etc. and work around the computer's idiosyncrasies until the hard drive goes and it's time for a new computer. 

That's a cause for concern, if you're not worried, then disregard this post, but ie's spellcheck has always alerted me about an incorrectly spelled word, (sometimes it has corrected the word after I got the space bar)

This is a probably unrelated incident, but it happened when trying to go to a site I used to have in my Firefox favorites, but somehow it disappeared from that favorites list.

I did a Google search for the site and attempted to log on, but then all hell broke loose - mostly red screen, loud warning beeping, and a notice that there was an attempt made to get my "critical data."

It was difficult to get out of that warning screen - I had to close Firefox to do so.

An 800 number was given onscreen for information, but when I dialed it (tried twice) - silence. I couldn't get through to anyone.

Anyone have any idea what happened here? I will certainly not attempt to go to that site again.

2 minutes ago, Howard Davis said:

This is a probably unrelated incident, but it happened when trying to go to a site I used to have in my Firefox favorites, but somehow it disappeared from that favorites list.

I did a Google search for the site and attempted to log on, but then all hell broke loose - mostly red screen, loud warning beeping, and a notice that there was an attempt made to get my "critical data."

It was difficult to get out of that warning screen - I had to close Firefox to do so.

Anyone have any idea what happened here? I will certainly not attempt to go to that site again.

At this point it is almost quicker to just backup your data and wipe/start over.  And if my PC started beeping like crazy, red screens, and other stuff...I wouldnt be turning it back on.  Especially if I was concerned about the data on the drive.

not sure if you mentioned it but what graphics card do you have?

firefox hardware acceleration has been a bit iffy since they implemented it. they used to blacklist certain cards because of the issues it would cause.

not sure if this is the direct issue but does help support firefox itself being the issue in your case

1 minute ago, techbeck said:

At this point it is almost quicker to just backup your data and wipe/start over.  And if my PC started beeping like crazy, red screens, and other stuff...I wouldnt be turning it back on.  Especially if I was concerned about the data on the drive.

I'll run a McAfee scan.

1 minute ago, Howard Davis said:

I'll run a McAfee scan.

Do a backup if your data if you haven not already.  Last time a PC made noise at me and flashed a red screen was when someone at work got infected with ransomware. 

21 minutes ago, Howard Davis said:

An 800 number was given onscreen for information, but when I dialed it (tried twice) - silence. I couldn't get through to anyone.

Yea...don't go to that website again. Probably just some JavaScript (or whatever)... though it wouldn't hurt to do a scan (Malwarebytes or whatever).  

Also, no matter what, never call some random number that pops up.  Scam.